Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-21-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 Boatmate trailer with 205/75 R14 Goodyear Marathon Radial tires. This weekend, while wiping the boat down, I noticed an odd spot on the tread of the tire. When I got home I jacked the tire up and spun it on the hub. The tire was way out of round and bubbled in the center. I guess the belt on the inside separated and caused the tire to become out of round. My question is, should I replace all four tires or just the bad one? The others still have plenty of tread. I have been reading some horror stories about the tires online and am thinking about switching brands. Anyone else have troubles with Goodyear Marathon? What are other options?
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-21-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
It just depends on how far you tow and if you carry a spare. Are the sidewalls cracking? If they are I would replace them all. If all you tow is a couple of miles to the lake and a couple of miles home then it's your choice. If you have a spare then it's just the inconveniences having to change it at the least convenient time. So it boils down to do I want to go another 5 years without problems or do I want to have to change one on the side of the road.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
I don't want to paint a horrible picture, but I've not had a real good track record with the Marathons. I had a 'bubble' on the inside of our former X10 trailer. I had a belt let loose on our '04 205v trailer. I put the spare on and within 100 miles, the spare blew. It was never used and at proper pressure. So, now I have 2 Marathons less than a year old (which appear to have at least a cosmetic change) that I'm considering bailing on and replacing with some Denmans.

Denman makes a trailer tire with a load carrying capacity of 2830lbs per tire, which is almost 300lbs more per tire than the Marathons. The only 'issue' is that they require 80psi vs 65psi and I need to make sure my wheels can handle the increased pressure requirements.

http://www.denmantire.com/catalog/p22.pdf
Old     (boutwell_43)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-21-2009, 7:24 PM Reply   
I have the same year trailer and tire size. I picked my boat up a week and a half ago. The tires looked fine to me and the dealer. Half way home boom! tire blows apart, rolls my finder on my new to me trailer. Sat on the interstate for 2 hours. Got home and went to the river, on my way back the left rear tire blows. I changed it and 2 miles later the left front tire blows. I just bought a new set of tires and rims yesterday. If I was you I would go ahead and replace them. Better to be out a little money, than sitting on the side of the rode, or worse a broken trailer.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-22-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
If you have a Goodyear tire shop nearby take them there. I just took mine in and for some reason they were able to credit me for the tread life remaining on my old tires. They were cracking on the sides which caused them to bubble. I replaced two tires for 50 bucks. At first I thought he messed up on ringing me up, but they did not.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-22-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Just dropped the tire off at a local tire shop and he said that Marathons should be changed after four years. He said that they begin to separate and crack after four years no matter how much tread they have. He checked the date on the tires and it is actually five years old.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-22-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
I have a 2003 boatmate with the original tires still on there. I will be changing them at the end of the season but haven't had any troubles with them other than that. My travel time is around 30 miles each way and have been on several road trips the past year that I have owned it. I don't know how far the previous owner trailered the boat but like I said the only thing wrong with mine are that they are 7 years old and just now starting to crack. The boat is stored outside so the tires are exposed year round. I will be replacing them with the same tire just b/c I have plenty of confidence in my local tire rep to back there product. I would say go with what you feel the most comfortable with, but understand at the same time if you ask for horror stories you are going to get horror stories.
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
Replace all 4 tires for sure. I had three Marathons fail in one season. Les Schwab brand trailer tires have the same tread pattern and I haven't read any problems with them. Couple thousand miles with no problems on mine so far.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-26-2009, 9:34 PM Reply   
what are the best radials to get? I have had crap luck with the Marathons also.
Old     (tomcat22)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-27-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
I have a 2004 boatmate and i just replaced my tires last summer with the goodyear marathons and i havent had any trouble with them. I did replace them though because they had flat spots on the tires but believe that was from storing it up in the winter and just sitting. So now i during the winter it sits on jack stands to take the weight off the tires.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-27-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
Three out of four of my Marathons bubbled over three seasons. I can remember tagging objects two out of the three times. If you hit something the belts split. On my way to the lake there are a couple narrow spots and a couple potholes that are unavoidable if other cars are on the road.

I switched to Greenball Tow Masters and have not had any issues since. My previous trailer also had Tow Masters, not one issue with it either.

I have had both bias ply and radial tires. I prefer bias ply tires, my current trailer is rolling radials. Doesn't track as well and seems to bounce more.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2009, 12:37 AM Reply   
I've had Greenball Tow Master for the last five years on my work trailer and never had a problem. I probably have close to 60,000 on them and they still have plenty of tread, going to change them this year any way.

My boat has Greenball Trans Master radials. Only problem I have had with them was due to a large curb, will definitely buy again.

What Mike said about bias vs. radial it totally correct.

Bias ply:
1) Stiffer, less bounce
2) Holds up better to hits from curbs and potholes
3) Typically cheaper than radial

Radials benefits are:
1) Softer, smoother, quieter ride
2) Improved fuel economy
3) Flat, wider footprint for better tire wear
4) Runs cooler than a bias ply, minimizing risk of a blowout on the highway
5) Longer tire life

p.s. I run bias on work trailer and radial on boat.