Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    bigdtx            12-28-2012, 10:43 AM Reply   
So I posted a while back about my house getting burglarized. I'm still upgrading security and that will take a while to complete.

In the mean time I've been checking Craigslist to see if any of my stuff shows up. Sure enough some car stereo equipment I had in a spare room has popped up for sale. I called the cops, gave them all the info - the detective was real helpful initially - "we're gonna get 'em", etc. Since then - nothing. Ad is still there (with a phone number). They say they can't get hold of the guy. Really pissing me off now - been a couple of weeks.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I get get the cops to do something/anything? He told me they were going to get a subpoena for the phone number but I don't know where they are with that - or what good that will even do.

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            12-28-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
Post the link...maybe some of us can reach the seller
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-28-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
X2 lol
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-28-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
More than likely they are researching more into this so they have a bigger book to throw at the dude ie: high dollar amount of stolen property, trailing and or searching for accomplices, possibly trying to catch in the act, looking for other crimes to link him/them to etc etc
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-28-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
I would make a Log of exactly all your dealings with the police. Make a time line of how things went down from the time you noticed your Items on C list and the emails you sent to the police letting them know about your findings. ( try to avoid phone calls) so that you have a log of all your contact.
If they some how drop the ball or put you on the back burner letting them know have a detailed log of what went down would make them more accountable cause you could simply send your findings via email to the local paper or Chief of police ect. Take screen shots of the Clist adds.
Let the police either do their job or Fail at their job if they Fail you will have everything you need to make them answer tough questions. The squeaky key wheel gets the grease.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       12-28-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
^^agreed. I would also prob not post the link on WW. While I'm very curious to see it and would love to call these punks just like everyone else, it's probably not the best idea and could potentially tip the guy/guys off. Best of luck in your recovery.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-28-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
I hope for your sake that they are working hard on it and keeping it low key. But this is why I'm not a huge fan of cops, they seem more concerned with booking people for doing 10 over the speed limit than dealing with bigger issues like this in the world. Just my opinion!
Old    bigdtx            12-28-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
My first instinct was to call the guy and handle it myself. The bigger issue is that the stuff on Craigslist is just a small part of what was taken. I hit up the cops in hope they could use this lead to track these guys and maybe get all of my stuff back. They said "don't call him, don't do anything - let us handle it." I'm cool with that - if they are actually doing anything.

I've bought and sold loads of crap on Craigslist - I could get them to respond with the right message - that's what pisses me off about letting the cops handle it.

Not posting the link or any other info - I'll let them keep on it - just wish they would move faster. I know they'd rather catch the guy red-handed down the road than get my stuff back, but I feel like I deserve a little effort for bringing them the lead.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-30-2012, 5:58 AM Reply   
Not uncommon. I ran an insurance case where a guy in the Keys had 40K in electronics and tackle stolen off his boat. Last New Years Eve actually. Two weeks later I found half of it on CL. I contacted the detective and also the insurance company. The Insurance company was then in line to apply pressure to the cops. The CL add eventually lead to an arrest of two fine young men of Island birth.