Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2016, 6:54 AM Reply   
I got a very interesting call from a head-hunter a few weeks back, my gut says after everything it will be turning to an offer this week.

Short things would mean a substantial raise and a move to Dallas / Garland area. I would have my sights set on Lake Ray Hubbard for a house, but what scares me are the lake levels there .... are they pretty consistent, or if I had a place with a boat house, would there be a significant chance it would be out of the water most of the time? I know you have plenty of water now, but is that something I can count on?

I've visited a few times for a week or two over the past few years (my wife has family there) and I really enjoyed it. The biggest upside for me is the weather, I would gladly trade -40* in the winter for 115* in the summer.

Any other info on the Dallas area, good, bad, or otherwise is much appreciated.
Thanks!
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-07-2016, 7:18 AM Reply   
Nick,

Lake Ray Hubbard is a good lake for wakeboarding, but you will need someone local to show you around. There are stumps and other crazy things if your not careful. Water levels simply depend on the location, some parts of the lake you might end up with your boat stuck on a lift and others really not an issue. Even when the lakes get low you can normally still trailer to the lake. In general you want to be near an south wind block "ie the wind blows most of the time from the south". If Gene3x is around he can give you specifics on hubbard.

The lake that never seems to stay at pool is Lake Lavon, I would steer clear of that being my primary Lake. There are a lot of good places to ride within a few hours as well. Prepare yourself the water is not what your used to, most lakes here are mud lakes with lots of sediment compared to what you might be used to.

Prepare for traffic, everyone and their brother seem to moving here. Stay as close to work as you can, unless you can work flex hours. If you have kids watch your school district like a hawk.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-07-2016, 7:24 AM Reply   
yep, lavon is the only fly in the ointment. the rest are pretty stable.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2016, 7:42 AM Reply   
Awesome, Thank you!

I assume Hubbard is like a lake we have here - Lake Petenwell in the sense its a flowage of a river so the main channel is safe and deep but the rest is/was a flooded area... so like you mentioned, stumps and shallow areas are common. The lake color will take some getting use to, also the fact it appears some of your fish get monstrous! We're all pure sand here so the lakes are actually pretty clear for the most part.

The job would be on the boarder of Dallas and Garland - so if I wanted lakefront I figured Hubbard was my best choice for the sake of traffic and for what we could afford.

Any major things you guys don't like about the DFW area that unique to the area? (Traffic and other big city problems don't bother me).
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-07-2016, 7:58 AM Reply   
The job would be on the boarder of Dallas and Garland - so if I wanted lakefront I figured Hubbard was my best choice for the sake of traffic and for what we could afford.

Hubbard is a good choice. You are correct on the channels, just remember the channels here are more like streams and there are normally multiples in the lake. I am on Lewisville but I work in this area so it's not bad.

Any major things you guys don't like about the DFW area that unique to the area?
Things others might not like, If you don't like guns or conservatives you prob will not like it here. Not as much of an issue the closer to Dallas you get and vice versa. That is the major thing I have heard people complain about when coming here from other places. That and people get home sick or just complain that it's not like where ever they are from. There are lots of things to do, places to go. Most people here eat out it is really crazy compared to other places. Be sure you factor in the tax rate on your home purchase. No state income tax but you pay for it in your home tax.

Get used to driving, it is farther and will take longer to go some place than your use to.A measurement of distance here is time not miles. You can drive for hours and never leave the state.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-07-2016, 8:03 AM Reply   
DFW is a great place to live. Lived here my whole life. Lots of people moving here especially with the increase of companies headquartering here now. The job market is amazing. Some lifers here complain about the lack of scenery in Dallas, but you get so much else. There are lots of things to do here...all major sport franchises, lakes, nightlife, etc. The people here are friendly, but certain areas are probably near the most materialistic in the country.

As for lakes, there are several in the area all with very different feels.
Lavon - This is my home lake. Water levels have been fluctuating in recent years but it's still a decent lake. Lots of boaters but also heavy on fishermen. No housing or real restaurants on the lake.
Hubbard - In a more populated area and more commercialized in recent years...Bass Pro, restaurants, shopping, etc. LOTS of stumps so you have to know what you're doing unless you're down by the dam. Very crowded on the weekends.
Lewisville - Where lots of good wakeboarders have been riding over the years. More of a party lake (Party Cove) but some housing and restaurants on the lake.

As others have said, traffic here is a nightmare so choose wisely on where you live. We live on the edge of Garland (in Richardson) and my wife grew up there. G-town as I call it is a bit ghetto. :-) Rockwall is a nice area that would be close for you and Lake Highlands is not a bad option in some parts. And if you plan to have kids, really research schools. You do not want to be in DISD.

Let me know if you have other specific questions. Texas is awesome!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-07-2016, 8:07 AM Reply   
By the way, in DFW proper there is not a lot of lakefront property. Most people I know that ride either have a slip in a marina or trailer minutes to the lake. Maybe not as convenient as you're used to, but it does allow you to do day trips to other spots. Amazing lakes in neighboring Oklahoma, Arkansas, Austin area.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-07-2016, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks01 View Post
By the way, in DFW proper there is not a lot of lakefront property. Most people I know that ride either have a slip in a marina or trailer minutes to the lake. Maybe not as convenient as you're used to, but it does allow you to do day trips to other spots. Amazing lakes in neighboring Oklahoma, Arkansas, Austin area.
Don't leave out Waco and Huntsville.
Old     (airshark360)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-07-2016, 9:23 AM Reply   
If you can get a house on Ray Hubbard then that would be the best choice, Forney is pretty close and has some really nice neighborhoods, you would just need to get a slip. I just started going back the Ray so i might see you there..
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-07-2016, 10:35 AM Reply   
The community is great, but the riding is tough everywhere around there. I lived there two years and rode a bunch, but I totally watched my riding go flat and it had a lot to do with the conditions. I would drive 2 hours to get decent water. So many lakes, but so few spots to actually ride.

Now, for cable, it is a great place. I've hit 3 cable parks in a day there.

Also, it is super-cold. Like drysuit Dec-April cold. That shocked me the most when I moved there from Houston. I've used a drysuit maybe once since moving back to Houston.

Last edited by skiboarder; 06-07-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added the stuff about the cold
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-07-2016, 2:18 PM Reply   
Good points Justin. People think "hey, it's Texas and it doesn't get cold". Not true as December-February can be rather chilly. That being said, you're from up north so might not think it is too bad. My wake bottoms out on temp at 48-50.

Lots of cable parks here now, but they have their own issues. Several of them are in the "friendly for all" mentality and will run the cable 17-18mph during the day which has alienated a lot of core riders. That being said, it's a nice option if you've only got a couple of hours and want to get in some riding. The long lines can also kill your riding time.

And yes, there are wally's here like everywhere else. Good water can be hand on most of the lakes though on weeknights and early weekend mornings. You can't expect flat water at 3pm on a Saturday.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-07-2016, 7:02 PM Reply   
You can ride year round with a good wetsuit. Lots of great spots to ride if your willing to drive a little over an hour.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-03-2016, 1:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
I got a very interesting call from a head-hunter a few weeks back, my gut says after everything it will be turning to an offer this week.

Short things would mean a substantial raise and a move to Dallas / Garland area. I would have my sights set on Lake Ray Hubbard for a house, but what scares me are the lake levels there .... are they pretty consistent, or if I had a place with a boat house, would there be a significant chance it would be out of the water most of the time? I know you have plenty of water now, but is that something I can count on?

I've visited a few times for a week or two over the past few years (my wife has family there) and I really enjoyed it. The biggest upside for me is the weather, I would gladly trade -40* in the winter for 115* in the summer.

Any other info on the Dallas area, good, bad, or otherwise is much appreciated.
Thanks!
So what happened here, Nick? Did you get the job? Move to Texas??

I travel to DFW quite frequently for business... curious to hear what you think of it, especially the boating scene.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-03-2016, 7:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
So what happened here, Nick? Did you get the job? Move to Texas??
Nope turned it down, and no move, at least not yet. As dumb luck would have it the day before the Texas job sent me a formal offer the company I currently work for offered me a promotion to a corporate position but one that allows me to continue living/working from the facility I was at. I manage large capital projects for my current company but did so at one of their manufacturing facilities; this new role would extend to larger dollar value projects that have potential to be rolled out across multiple plants. The downside is after I finish with my first big project in this new role there will be the potential for more travel. But until then more money, bigger bonus, more flexible schedule (work from home option during planning / prep phases) and more vacation.... so I'm sticking around Wisconsin at least for 14-18 months / until this big project is completed. After I wrap this one up I'll see what the next big project will be and maybe look for warmer weather then.

... My wife and I just got back from a sailing trip in the BVIs, and after that I would strongly consider trying to find a job more in the controls / automation world that would all me to work from home. Try and make home a 40-50 ft. boat and live the Jimmy Buffet lifestyle for a few years just sailing around.

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 08-03-2016 at 7:53 AM.
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-05-2016, 9:02 PM Reply   
Yiiww!! Republic Wake Park actually bought the old Cowtown and are ReOpening a Brand new park and layout there in the DFW area.. When not out on the lakes with you boat.. maybe shredding some cable is another option for you to get some water time (esp during the weekdays after work)
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-06-2016, 8:37 AM Reply   
Nick, check out the YouTube channel Sailing La Vagabonde. Well worth watching a few episodes!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-08-2016, 10:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Sailing La Vagabonde. Well worth watching a few episodes!
Searched expecting to see a haggard old dude sailing around the world ... thumbnails say otherwise.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-19-2016, 6:08 AM Reply   
I just saw this post and am about to sell my house and look for a house on Ray Hubbard. Let me know if you end up looking again or move down. I will be glad to give you a tour of the areas to avoid on the lake.

BTW, I am in automation right now selling CNC's for Thermwood and would be interested to talk just about what you might be looking for in the automation world.

FYI... I don't get on any of these sites much anymore but will check in every few months.