Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (louisOh1912)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-16-2015, 5:38 PM Reply   
I've been filming myself and friends for a while but always on borrowed equipment and making do with what i've got. finally getting my own camera and because of injury won't be wakeboarding myself so i want to focus on filming this summer and turn out something amazing. If you have any quick tips for filming wakeboarding like the golden hours after sunrise and before sunset to simple diy camera mounts and any other little piece of silly advice i'd be more than welcome to anything.

thanks
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-17-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
a couple tips, though more focused on editing than filming:

- shoot lots of video and edit it way down. You'll probably only end up using a few minutes out of every hour of video.

- be careful using long segments... bores the viewer. Each 15 second scene might be ok on its own and mean something to you because you were there, but string a couple of 15 second segments together and you get a long, boring video. Short 2-5 second segments showing tricks and activity usually flow better in a video (although be careful of overcorrecting and making it too choppy).

- consider some setup or transition shots. Taking a few seconds to set the scene, show the drive to the lake, launching the boat, the boat house, cleaning the boat afterwards... something to link things together.

- add people shots - stuff showing your passengers interacting with each other, pushing each other off the swim step, joking around, etc. You'll have to edit the hell out of it, but that's half of what a day on the boat is about. Plus unless your riders are WAY above average, the "tricks" you shoot really won't be that impressive. For most people wakeboarding videos are really much more about showing fun times than showing wakeboarding. Wakeboarding just happens to be the setting.

- shooting on a GoPro I assume? Gopole has some good stuff like the Bobber and floating sticks.
Old     (conrmic)      Join Date: Jan 2015       05-27-2015, 8:44 AM Reply   
^^^Those were all good. I think the main thing is to film a lot. I usually have about 4 hours of video I narrow down to 2-4 minutes. What usually makes videos better is taking videos of random things like putting the board on, rope in the water, carrying the board.... Things like that for the intro help a lot. Just watch a lot of videos on YouTube and Vimeo and get some ideas from that and start filming. If your a great editor but a poor filmer the video won't be too good. It's all about how nice the filming is and that will make the video good
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2015, 7:20 AM Reply   
When we made Delta Sessions 1 & 2 - We averaged (1) minute of useable footage for 1 hour filmed. I saw shoot everything - sky, land, birds, bugs, tubers,houses, road trip, getting in and out of water, etc... You can always edit down - never the other way around!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-16-2015, 9:52 AM Reply   
sounds like you'll need lots of batteries and cards
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-16-2015, 11:05 AM Reply   
when you first learn how to wakeboard, instead of focusing on doing a backflip right off the bat, you should learn board control. in this case i would stress focusing only on camerawork, if you are just starting out. remember, it doesn't matter how good of an editor you are; if the footage sucks, your final video will suck. the main thing you should think about is really just trying to keep the camera steady and as you progress think more about composition and things like that.

another big thing which relates to that is knowing the limitations of your equipment. if you're using gopro then ride doubles or get on a tube so that you can get close enough to the action that it will be entertaining to the viewer ( as opposed to watching an ant on screen off in the distance) , or if you're using DSLR make sure you can have the right type of lens to capture the action within the appropriate frame.

if you can focus on that first and foremost, you will be well on your way to making some good videos

Last edited by homedawg678; 06-16-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: a
Old     (louisOh1912)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-07-2015, 4:11 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, all super helpful!!
I've been filming as a small hobby for a while. gopros and DSLRs. finally got my own DSLR.
What is the best/easiest steady cam set up to keep it smooth while riding in the boat. Keep in mind I am dirt poor and this will be a DIY kind of set up.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-07-2015, 4:51 PM Reply   
Mitch bergsma has a video of how he keeps his sale steady on the boat for filming
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-10-2015, 2:30 PM Reply   
best/cheapest way to keep camera steady is strong muscles!
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-12-2015, 7:29 AM Reply   
Great Tips Orange...

How about best cheap editing software..... GP 2.0?