Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-23-2012, 12:03 PM Reply   
Just looking for so opinions on both boats. I know the 205 (96&up) has the old xstar hull, and the sport naut has the old san hull.. Both being DD boats, my question is, does one seem to have the edge on creating a better wakeboarding and wakesurfing wake? I know that question is very subjective, and I am not looking for a MC vs CC arguement, what I am looking for is which dd boat will be easiest to get the best wake out of. Also, if anyone has any experience with these boats, what am I going to have to look at throwing in it (and where) to get the wake. Before anyone jumps in talking about finding a Vdrive, yes I know that would be better, but this question is reguarding dd's. Thanks!
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       07-23-2012, 1:13 PM Reply   
These are the 2 boats i was deciding between when i was shopping last summer. I ended up with a 99 205DD. I cant speak for the nautique wake but the mastercraft can put out a very nice wakeboarding wake with a bit of weight. This year we've been using a 750 in the rear locker, a integrated bow sac up front that prob holds about 300 pounds and depending on how many people sometimes we use a 400 just in front of the motor box. This seems to give a pretty nice wake that everyone can use without being intimidating for the beginners. for surfing we just add more weight to the rear corner were surfing on. These are good boats but i would recommend spending a little more and getting a Vdrive. I'm already planning to upgrade just to gain more seating and storage and i've only had the boat for a year.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-23-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoxtony View Post
These are good boats but i would recommend spending a little more and getting a Vdrive. I'm already planning to upgrade just to gain more seating and storage and i've only had the boat for a year.
I have debated a quick dd purchase to just have something to mess around with for boarding, but every time I do I see statements like this. Very consistent that dd owners recommend a vdrive to people, the comment I always see is "I wanted a vdrive as soon as I bought the boat."

Of course, there is a premium price with vdrives in this this market.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-23-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Yep i'm in a DD and i'm already starting to save up for my Vdrive had my DD since Feb. Got it for a steal so i should be able to turn it for a profit. Going to start looking for an older Super Sport with custom ballast and tower fall 2013. Unless i fall into a pile of money.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-23-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
Both awesome wakeboats for direct drives. The Nauti is a bit more cramped and has a much narrower feel. Upside though is the Nauti takes less weight to boost the wakes. As far as surfing the 205 is a better boat to surf as the gunwales are taller and the boat is a bit deeper allowing you to add more weight for the surf wave.

As far as a direct drive vs v drive here is what unused to tell people back when there was a huge price difference. If you are gonna use the boat as just a boarding boat with a small crew it's perfect. They don't have a ton of storage and you will have sacs on the floor for sure taking up space. People on smaller lakes with docks and a permanent place to put it have zero issues as they really have no need for all the storage because it's all in their dock or at the house. But if you are looking to use the boat for 5-7 people to hang out in, cruise around, and socialize it will fill up fast and I mean fast especially with coolers towels chips snacks and backpacks.

The v drives are way better for doing the above because most if not all the ballast I
Is hidden and you still have tons of storage. Again this if this isn't something you need the direct drive versions all run in the same identical hull as the vdrives so they produce a wake to satisfy most riders.
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-23-2012, 2:00 PM Reply   
I did the opposite. Had a vlx. It was stolen. Now I have a response and although nothing compares to the v-drive wake all I do is drop the wedge and slow it down a little and the wake on the response is ridable. And the upside is I burn half as much gas as I used to inthe vlx. My guess is with a little weight you would be happy. Or get a Malibu with the wedge