Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-27-2011, 4:53 AM Reply   

We went out and filmed at sunset right after and right before some of that ridiculous stormy weather that has been pretty persistent the last few weeks. Thought I'd share the edit here...

Yes, I might have lifted the name from the Alliance Wake GoPro Sessions... But seeing as how I plan on doing a bunch of GoPro specific edits of riders on Smith Mountain Lake, I figured that make an SML edition of those videos would be a nice little homage to the AW ones.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-27-2011, 6:21 AM Reply   
Nicec ride'n guys. And cool camera angles. Enjoyed the video.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-27-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
awesome riding and filming dudes. Its cool to see videos that have a similar riding style/bag of tricks to your own. You definately showed me a couple of tricks that i need to learn this summer. keep em coming
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-27-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
Not trying to jack the thread or anything but I have a question about the gopro. Yes we are camera noobs so please forgive me if this is stupid...they look awesome and we are thinking about getting one, can we use it for scuba divingas well?
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       05-27-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBu View Post
Not trying to jack the thread or anything but I have a question about the gopro. Yes we are camera noobs so please forgive me if this is stupid...they look awesome and we are thinking about getting one, can we use it for scuba divingas well?
Yes you can, they are totally waterproof
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-27-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
In the faq on the web site...

"the camera housing is rated waterproof down to 180 ft"
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-27-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
Nice filming Nick!

Man I miss SML
That water looks awesome!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2011, 5:00 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! I'm planning on making a series of these with a bunch of the local riders, so it's awesome to hear that people enjoyed this one. Definitely gives me the motivation to do more of these videos.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-30-2011, 3:48 AM Reply   
you should get closer to the rider, but wow, that song was, ummm....tough. so tough, i couldn't watch the vid all the way through. remember that the music you use is as important as the footage that you choose to use. also, you might want to reconsider using songs that drop f-bombs and especially the n-word...or at least bleep them out if you're posting on ww.

/soapbox
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-30-2011, 5:59 AM Reply   
Nice edit Nick.I like the girl's shirt at the end too .Gobble,Gobble LOL
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-31-2011, 1:56 PM Reply   
Nice!! You guys are Slayin it!

You must have been right on top of the camera guy on some of the shots. The GoPro wide angle makes it look like you are miles away even when you are 5 feet away.

Thanks for posting. Now I can get back to work. Haha
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-02-2011, 9:50 AM Reply   
Joe,

Music's pretty subjective. I know a lot of people that actually like that song a lot, so I don't know what to tell you there. I do however agree with getting closer to the rider. I was maxed out on my tube rope's length and wasn't as close as I would have liked. First tube sesh behind my boat this year though, so we still have a little dialing in on length and stuff.

Wow, forgot I had a tab open with this post typed out, haha. I made a quick edit of the footy we got today. I missed a lot of shots, and there was either a lot of water on the lens or fog or a glare from the sun, but there are still a bunch of shots that came out well. I almost hit joel in the back a few times with the camera, so I hope that's close enough =P

Old     (sdgarfield)      Join Date: May 2011       06-02-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
That was sick! Good shots man!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-04-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
Nice edit man! That last digger was brutal. Do you put RainX on your gopro lens? If not try it and it should help with the water on the lens.
Old     (wakeridercwb)      Join Date: Dec 2010       06-04-2011, 6:28 PM Reply   
that was some nice riding. On episode 2 when the title comes up, how do you do that colors effect?
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-04-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Very nice. We're looking to get some gopro tube shots too. What setting are you shooting in? Do you keep the camera on the whole time? Any other tips?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-04-2011, 8:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardern1 View Post
Music's pretty subjective.
true, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardern1 View Post
I know a lot of people that actually like that song a lot,
...it doesn't mean it should be used in a vid...especially if it's droppin' f and n bombs.

just my opinion.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-05-2011, 12:11 AM Reply   
Ryan,

that last digger was worst of life. I threw up while underwater and wound up not able to breathe when I surfaced again, that bad. Eyes came open underwater, something I haven't done in years upon years because of contacts. And I've been meaning to get some rain X for it, although I've heard that it can eventually corrode the housing, but that was in reference to the Epic Cams housings, I just kind of maintained that mentality with the go pro. Thanks for the tip though, if that's what people are using I'm definitely going to get some next time I drive past an auto store.

Wakeridercwb,

Google search for the film burn effect. It's a video that you overly on your main video and then lower the opacity on. But that's just how it has to work in Sony vegas, I dunno if they have alternate versions for Final Cut and what not.

BCH,

I'm shooting in 720p/ 60FPS. I think it's called r3 on the gopro settings. Double check though. But the high framerate (even though it's technically only that high because it interlaces the video) enables much better slowmo and smoother shots for faster subjects than the 1080p and 30 FPS setting (r5). I keep the camera on the whole time and just make sure it has a solid charge (4 hours is what the battery is rated for the shooting setting I use). In between the rider's falls and what not I stop and restart the recording. I also have the camera set to do an auto off after 3 minutes of not recording though, since I didn't get to film someone one time because I accidentally left it on and it wore down the battery. There are a lot of shots of my face as I look at it to double check that it is recording.

Joe,

I was pointing out that they liked that in reference to you stating that you couldn't make it through the video because the song was so bad. I along with a lot of others felt that it flowed well with the video, but again that's a subjective thing and the fact that you didn't like it is like you said, your opinion. However, I'm actually inclined to agree with you about the f-bombs. the vast majority of my edits steer clear of heavy swearing, but that song came up in a playlist, and since I had originally planned to use it in a different edit of another VT wake guy that wasn't gunna happen, i used it here. I've heard it so much since I was listening to it to memorize it for editing that the swearing was something that I had completely overlooked until you pointed it out. I have a tendency to ignore lyrics when I edit as well and focus on the melody instead. I also greatly appreciate your opinion, because a lot of times it has actually helped my videos a lot, so thanks. Not trying to ass kiss, just telling you the truth about that.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-05-2011, 3:05 AM Reply   
Where do you guys ride at on the lake?
Old     (micbergsma1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-05-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
awesome!good filming and riding!

I have two gopros for 13 months now and love them to death haha.. I have a lot of videos on my youtube www.youtube.com/micbergsma
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-06-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
Nick- Sounds like you got a concussion from that fall.... might want to take it easy for awhile Never heard of RainX corroding the housing but even if it does you can buy spare lenses for cheap and a new housing if need be. When you film are you just holding the camera up in the air or did you attach it to a pole? Did you like filming from in front of the rider better or from behind them?

Last edited by ryanw209; 06-06-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2011, 7:23 PM Reply   
haha, i was out trying frontrolls again the next day. i think it was more of just such a solid hit in the torso that it forced everything out, the nigght before's dinner too =P, lol. as for filming, i put it on a pole, and always try to get it as close to the handle pass/board as i can. much easier to do with a pole that wont bbreak like your hand if you get too close. i've found that beingg in front of the rider is much more pleasant, and generally gets better shots. behind the rider it feels like i'm getting punched by water every time they take off or land. but you can get sick shots if you get the right angle on it from behind. but now that i have extra length on the line, i'll just be moving the tube in and out to accomodate the sun. gotta suck it up to get the good shots...

jamie, i live on the blackwater, directly across from the cliffs. the wwater is always glass in the morning when i usually ride.

and thanks mitch! thatms about a long as i've had mine. i love the thing to death too.