Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-19-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
I finally have bought a boat this year and my neighbors are giving me nothing but trouble about it! I live in a nice private development where I know and like quite a few of my neighbors, but apparently the rest aren't to keen on me. Last week I had the cops called on me twice for noise complaints because I had my stereo up for like a minute and a half. Today I woke up to city police knocking on my door cuz my boat sticks out enough to block the sidewalk. C'mon neighbors grow some balls and talk to me about the problem don't just call the police everytime you don't like something!!!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-19-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
Its called jealousy lol
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-19-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
At least ther're nice enough to call the cops...I haev a lake house out in a negihbor hood that is like the wild west, lol. I had my truck parked in my driveway and the trailer hithc was sticking out about 6 inches over into the road. I live on a street with very little traffic. Came out early one morning and my back window had been broken. Cop pulled up and said..." You should have been parked all the way in your driveway, you people from the city don't know how to park"
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-19-2011, 10:27 AM Reply   
Ryan, you are from the Seattle area aren't you? Where abouts do you live? In the burbs?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-19-2011, 11:12 AM Reply   
Dude, wash it, wax it, then leave it hooked up to your truck and park it front of your house for a week for all to see. Can't say anything as long as it is hooked to your truck and in front of your house. You really want to piss them off, if you know who it is, park in front of their house for a day. Can't do anything if there is public parking on the street and you are connected to a truck. At least here anyway, if you leave it unhooked, that's where they get us
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-19-2011, 11:13 AM Reply   
I am shocked mine have not said anything. Even with swim deck 1/4" from garage and tounge swung in I am still blocking most of sidewalk at the very end of my driveway. Damn x-45 is long as hell. I evn kept it in the street everyday during July 4th weekend from Thursday till Tuesday since we went out everyday and I didn't want to cover it and let it dry out. I have been really nice to every neighbor that stops by while I am cleaning it. Give them all the courtesy invite too. Ohhh yeah should should come out some time.... A bunch of elementary and middle school aged kids too. I made sure and went super big with the candy at Halloween too and so far none of them bothers it while I am out of town all the time. Might be worth trying to figure out who has the issue and be friendly with them
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-19-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
Brett, yeah I live in Kenmore on the northend of lake Washington. I love the area, just not a few cranky neighbors.

I guess it could always be worse but if someone did that to me, I'd set them up with hidden cameras and park in that same spot. Then when you figured out who it was...start messing their ***** up! What happened to friendly neighborhoods? Lol
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-19-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
Dude, wash it, wax it, then leave it hooked up to your truck and park it front of your house for a week for all to see. Can't say anything as long as it is hooked to your truck and in front of your house. You really want to piss them off, if you know who it is, park in front of their house for a day. Can't do anything if there is public parking on the street and you are connected to a truck. At least here anyway, if you leave it unhooked, that's where they get us

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong...my friend. The op said "gated community"...I am sure there are rules regarding leaving it in front of your house or on the street even.

I had a friend who lived in a non-gated association that wouldn't allow you to park your boat in the street (hooked up to your truck) overnight monday through thursday or something like that

Try and play nice, but in the end, one bad apple in the neighborhood can screw up everything. Rob's on the right track I think. If you can find out who it is and casually invite them (yeah - if they say "yes" that might suck)...they may change their tune, though.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-19-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
My community wouldnt even allow me to work on my boat in the driveway, let alone wash it or park it over night. These deed restricted communities can be such a pain...but hey my grass and everyone elses was at least green and cut weekly by their orders.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-19-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
If you were blocking the side walk and I was your neighbor, I would ask you to do something about that.
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, as just like you, most of us (myself included) have had to on occasion deal with this issue for one reason or another. I don't know your exact situation and/or the whole story ... only what you've chosen to share here. I'm sure my comments will inspire some flaming or counter-point posts, however I’m just trying to balance the privilege and responsibility that go hand-in-hand with these boats. After all, we’re all fairly fortunate to own & operate these boats and have a fairly large responsibility to do so in a responsible and respectful manner. I will admit to recently having been frustrated with HOAs, their silly rules, and the “HOA police” who “patrol” the neighborhood every evening, looking for violations. However I quickly realized that my house, property, and bank account are more important than my “feelings” of frustration.

Most people who have any amount of reasonableness in them, and perhaps a little life experience, understand that there will likely come a time when it will pay dividends to have neighbors who “like” them and are willing to help out when they don’t even know they need it (shut-off water when there’s flooding, call the police when glass is breaking and nobody appears to be home, etc. The list can go on-and-on, and can range from everyday “issues” to extremely rare ones that are possible). Hopefully whoever it is that is being annoyed by your boat and actions will come around to realizing that you’re not a bad guy with ill intent towards them, their property, or their environment.

My personal technique is fairly close to CobraRob’s above. Killing them with kindness is way easier and has better results than arrogance and/or bitterness.

Having said all that, perhaps you need to realize that your choices and actions have impacted someone to the point of them asking for intervention from the police. Perhaps they aren’t able to discuss the issues with you face-to-face for reasons you’re not aware of; physical handicap, physiological fear, fear of retribution, perceived unwillingness to cooperate, work schedule conflict … who knows maybe their spouse is getting on them to “do something” about it! Hard to say, but they did choose to involve the local LEOs, who in turn saw the value in at least knocking and making friendly contact with you to point out the issue. It seems fairly clear that there is an issue and there are grounds for the contact, so the resolution and future lies in the response.

If you’re interested in living in the community, and actually want your neighbors to like you and keep an eye on your stuff, perhaps realizing that having a boat/trailer blocking the sidewalk can impact their ability to walk the block. Maybe they have a family member who is unable to navigate around due to being elderly or being disabled. Maybe they have younger children and are trying to teach them to stay out of the street. Who knows, but as much as it may inconvenience you, personally I’d suggest being careful about blocking public walkways/sidewalks. You’re opening yourself up to a lawsuit if someone were to injure himself or herself due to the intrusion. Also remember that you’re response and actions will impact how the other party involved views wakeboats, wakeboarders, our sport, and our industry. Sure would suck to find out that party is a water-cop, or a voting city council member considering a rule that impacts our ability to enjoy the water!

As I stated above, I don’t know you’re exact situation and/or the whole story. However I do care enough about our sport, the industry, and your ability to enjoy it along with the rest of us that I tried to give a little different perspective to at least consider. Here’s to smooth water, consistent pulls, staying safe, and having a long, fun, injury-free season …
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-19-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
My neighbors have had their in-laws boat parked in front of their house for 3 months. I can't even believe it, but I'm about to ask them to move it.

I hate to say it, but nobody wants to look at your boat. I'm glad I don't live somewhere where there are laws against it, but I wouldn't want to look at a boat or RV in front of someones house. It's one thing for a couple days before or after a trip, but permanent storage in your driveway isn't cool IMO. My opinion only.

Calling the cops is petty though. Deal with it in person. My street is small. There are only 6 of us. If you've got a problem with your neighbor you nut up and tell them.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-19-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
We live in a boating community and can park a boat in the middle of the front yard if we like. To me seeing a boat in a drive way vs seeing a car there is no real difference.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-19-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimewarranty View Post
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong...my friend. The op said "gated community"...I am sure there are rules regarding leaving it in front of your house or on the street even.

I had a friend who lived in a non-gated association that wouldn't allow you to park your boat in the street (hooked up to your truck) overnight monday through thursday or something like that

Try and play nice, but in the end, one bad apple in the neighborhood can screw up everything. Rob's on the right track I think. If you can find out who it is and casually invite them (yeah - if they say "yes" that might suck)...they may change their tune, though.
Hence why I had two rules when I bought my house. RV/boat parking and no stupid association. It seems they like are more hassel than they are worth. If I'm spending half a million on a home and want to put my boat in my driveway, who's to say I can't. I moved into a nice area thinking they were all going to hate me because its pretty quiet and every now and then I'm going to fire up the boat or the bikes, but my neighbors are all pretty cool. My wife and I are the youngest on the block, but when we pulled up with the boat, it was like the first thing people came out to see and made friends
I have been on the other side of the fence where people think they have to call the cops for every little thing, and it usually one crazy neighbor, not the whole block, and between all the whispers and murmers, nobody likes that person anyway, so screw them.
I'm all for playing nice, but the people like he describes are those who can't be reasoned with.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-19-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
I definately agree with rob and others regarding playing nice. I live in a nice comunity where I plan on staying long term so it's important to get along with people and settle things in a friendly manner. But what I don't agree about is the means of complaining. I'm out in the front of my house ALL the time and I chat people up and am friendly to all who walk by because its much easier to be nice than to be mean especially because these people are the ones that can look out for you when your not around. But again, its the means that bugs me. If it wasn't the city police and just the HOA it would be a little different, but while one person complains about the sidewalk, the next will complain about blocking the street. It's a lose, lose if people feel the need to complain instead of being cordual. I might have to park it diagonal across my three bays for the summer if it gets really problematic!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-19-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
I live in a sub-division that does not have an HOA, but there are city laws for blocking sidewalks and parking boats on the street. My driveway is in the front of my house and has the sidewalk running through the end of it. I've had a few warning letters from the police left on my truck for having my truck partially block the sidewalk. These warnings weren't from neighbor complaints or anything, it was just from the local PoPo driving around and seeing my truck blocking the sidewalk.

One time I had my boat parked on the street for about 15 minutes and then I had a cop was knocking on my door to let me know that the city ordinance was that it couldn't be parked there for more than 24 hours. I explained that it had been there for only 15 minutes, yet he still demanded to see my ID and run my DL# through the system... WTF?

I concur with Dave.... We specifically chose the house we bought because there was not an HOA and there was plenty of space on the side of the house to park the boat behind a 6 ft privacy fence. I love having my boat at home and not having to pay $200 a month for a slip or $100 a month for covered storage. That alone is worth putting up with our overly bored police department.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
Look, you can psycho-babble all you want about it (a few of the above posters have), but the bottom line is some people are just *******s and have nothing better to do with their lives.

I had a bitch of a neighbor in my first home (I now rent it out - bitch is still there). Some bored ass house wife that needs a job badly. This broad would call the cops on anyone for anything. We were fabbing a true-dual exhaust for my Formula in the driveway. She called for a noise complaint because I reved it a couple of times. Middle of the day - oh, did I mention HER HUSBAND WAS MOWING THE LAWN AT THE TIME! Called the cops because the car club came over, saying we were racing down the street. Before everyone came over, they were all warned (they knew about her anyway) that they need to come in as slowly, calmly, and quietly as possible. They did, and she still said we were racing. I have a pile of other similar type stories on this broad as well.

My solution ended up being simple - good friend became a cop in the area, and visited on his break with the cop car fairly often. She figured out real quickly calling the cops wasn't going to do any good and stopped.

Living in an HOA you are probably screwed. That has been one of my requirements when buying a home - NO HOA. I'm fortunate to live in a neighborhood with 2 acre lots, so dealing with neighbors isn't much of an issue. Never had a single complaint about anything in the 2+ years living here.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-19-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
The worst is when ur neighbor decides to hit the drain on the pool pump and drain our pool without our knowledge. Why?? Bc they were upset we always had kids out swimmin in the pool causing noise! That confrontation with 70yr old neighbors was great.

No need for cops...people just need to knock on your door and ask if you can adjust the trailer somehow to not block the sidewalk. No more HOA for me. Had to ask to plant palm trees And couldnt hang xmas lights too early lol
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-19-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
If playing nice doesn't work, you can always try and change the CC&R's or get on the HOA board. I have an HOA where I live that does not allow non-working autos or RVs to be parked for more than 45 days in your driveway. Even on the RV pad on the side of my house, unless there is a 6 foot fence. This was a topic at a recent meeting and my solution was to not change the rules but have a architectural committee grant a yearly waiver to these things. That way you get what you want without changing the rules and if someone has an eyesore on their property they don't get a waiver or a renewal.

As for me I just keep it in the garage most of the time anyway.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-19-2011, 3:59 PM Reply   
How is having a red boat in your driveway any more of an annoyance than a red car/van/truck of similar size & color? If it has wheels, the driveway was designed by the builder to hold it.

I do however agree, blocking sidewalks in any way is no-bueno. Forcing kids on bikes, handicapped or the intoxicated into the street is a safety hazard.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-19-2011, 4:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by guido View Post
My neighbors have had their in-laws boat parked in front of their house for 3 months. I can't even believe it, but I'm about to ask them to move it.

I hate to say it, but nobody wants to look at your boat. I'm glad I don't live somewhere where there are laws against it, but I wouldn't want to look at a boat or RV in front of someones house. It's one thing for a couple days before or after a trip, but permanent storage in your driveway isn't cool IMO. My opinion only.

Calling the cops is petty though. Deal with it in person. My street is small. There are only 6 of us. If you've got a problem with your neighbor you nut up and tell them.
Wait why? What's the big deal about having a boat in the driveway verses my truck or anything else? I would put it in the garage but no way in hell it would ever fit. There are minivans and plenty of other vehicles in everyone else's driveway. I dont see how the boat is really any different.
Old     (Wakesounds)      Join Date: May 2011       07-19-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
Fortunately for me the HOA is pretty slack. There are only about 8 homes in our association but quite a few more in a neighboring developmend/HOA that use our area due to the flow of the exits to main roads. Unfortunately its a city street/sidewalk so I have to take it up with them not the HOA. I looked over the HOA's pretty good before buying the house and thankfully they aren't very strict except I can't have farm animals! haha

I think I might post a friendly sign on the boat stating politely to please speak with the homeowner before calling in formal city complaints, or something to that extent.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2011, 5:54 PM Reply   
I live in an HOA too. 53 homes with our own 300' beach, ramp, dock & slips. The amenities are the only reason I put up with their crap. We've been here 7 yrs & I've had to get on the board & make some changes to make it work for me.

- Originally they said boats could only be parked in the neighborhood for 3 days at a time. People parked on the street, in front of each others houses, etc. I pointed out that the streets were too narrow for permanent parking & that greasy trainer tongues were unsafe for kids playing in the area. They approved my proposal to allow us to park all boats in own driveway for any length of time from April 1 till Oct 31. I pointed out that we are a boating community & conceded to keep the old rule for RVs, campers, garden trailers, ATV trailers, etc.

- I got on the beach committee. Now I make sure the grass is watered & mowed, docks are clean, beach is kept up, put swan decoys up to scare off the geese, get the garbage put out each week. People leave their junk all over (towels, kids toys, clothing, etc.) & I throw it away every week. Trying to get a cabana installed but am getting some grief from the county (setbacks).

If your boat is too long for your driveway, then you have a problem. But if you can park your boat on your own property, maybe you can do something to get the rules changed.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 07-19-2011 at 5:56 PM.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-19-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
At first I thought this was a bad case of Vehicular Segregation. Then I start to understand the hate behind the rules and am convinced this is Vehicular Racism of the worst kind. Worse than the Ford vs Chevy penis-fest, this is a Boat Owner vs a Non-Boat Owner hatred. Or possibly a My Boat Fits in My Garage vs Mine Doesn't power play.

All you can do is find something they like and ban it as well, like hot rods with flames, electric cars or solar panels. Ban recycling, and trees - that will get 'em.

As for the ex-hall monitor messing with pore defenseless geese, you should be ashamed sir.
Old     (boatmaster)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-19-2011, 6:22 PM Reply   
And here's why I called the cops.

You've been "tuning" your goddamn stereo for 2 hours. I have a 3 month old at home. My wife is screaming at me to do something. I don't have time to walk over and ask you to do something you should already have the common sense to know.

So if you act like ahole - you get ahole treatment.

PS, I'm not really your neighbor. But I could be.

Last edited by boatmaster; 07-19-2011 at 6:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-19-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
What music were you playing? Garth? Snoop? Insane Clown Posse? Blast it brotha! Let's see them ban music altogether!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-19-2011, 6:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kybool View Post
What music were you playing? Garth? Snoop? Insane Clown Posse? Blast it brotha! Let's see them ban music altogether!
I say stick to N.W.A...best heard on HLCD speakers. Just kidding
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-19-2011, 8:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmaster View Post
And here's why I called the cops.

You've been "tuning" your goddamn stereo for 2 hours. I have a 3 month old at home. My wife is screaming at me to do something. I don't have time to walk over and ask you to do something you should already have the common sense to know.

So if you act like ahole - you get ahole treatment.

PS, I'm not really your neighbor. But I could be.
Really? By the time you made the call, explained the situation, then got done arguing with your wife, you could have been a DECENT neighbor, walked over, "hey bro, I have a 3 month old asleep right now, do you mind not so loud?"

If he said screw you, then sure, make the call if you feel you need to, he is an ahole. In the situation you describe, you are the problem neighbor we are talking about. Man up, AND TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBOR
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-19-2011, 10:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
Really? By the time you made the call, explained the situation, then got done arguing with your wife, you could have been a DECENT neighbor, walked over, "hey bro, I have a 3 month old asleep right now, do you mind not so loud?"

If he said screw you, then sure, make the call if you feel you need to, he is an ahole. In the situation you describe, you are the problem neighbor we are talking about. Man up, AND TALK TO YOUR NEIGHBOR
Exactly... I don't know long it takes for cops to respond in your area, but saying you don't have time to deal with it? I'm pretty sure that noise complaints are not super high on the 911 priority list, so your 'a-hole' neighbor could be out tuning his stereo for another hour or more until the cops get there.

I had someone call on my a couple weeks ago on a saturday night for a noise complaint.. the cop told me the call had come in about an hour and a half ago. He laughed when he got there... he thought he was responding to a 'raging party' complaint. There were 4 of us on my patio hanging out. Some people can be so sensitive.. if any neighbor asked me to keep it down for whatever reason, sure no problem. But a few people on a saturday night... you need to buy earplugs or move to a retirement community.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-20-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
I have a HOA too. Luckily I can fit my boat in the garage. But for all you yard yuppies, water your lawns? The Southwest is literally running out of water and you people are watering your lawns... I can't think of a better way to waste water. I love when my yard goes dormant because than I don't have to cut the damn thing. I'll never understand Americas obsession with the lawn.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-20-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
The problem with confronting neighbors especially ones you dont know is not knowing how they will react. You gotta hope they are nice normal folk. However, many people are fearful of getting their arse beat maybe this person has a gun. I know it sounds crazy but this sh i t happens. I have seen it happen at our beach.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
The problem with confronting neighbors especially ones you dont know is not knowing how they will react. You gotta hope they are nice normal folk. However, many people are fearful of getting their arse beat maybe this person has a gun. I know it sounds crazy but this sh i t happens. I have seen it happen at our beach.
Exactly. And to be honest I don't think wake boats and their owners have the best reputation to start, I can't say I blame a neighbor for not confronting you directly.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-20-2011, 9:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_ashton View Post
Exactly. And to be honest I don't think wake boats and their owners have the best reputation to start, I can't say I blame a neighbor for not confronting you directly.
Really???
I'm no badass MMA fighter or anything here, but presuming you and your neighbor have both lived in the subdivision for some time. You know whether a person is sketch or not.
The OP lives in a "private development". Thinking that means nice houses, decent productive people for the most part.
It's kinda....no it's really chicken shat to call the cops, dog catcher, HOA on someone before you just go over and have a chat with them. Noone is going to pullout a tire iron and beat you up unless maybe you come over there and poke the guy in the chest or something.
I just moved form a subdivision that had the same bullchit rules and a half dozen nannies living around us that would call the HOA if your garbage can was out or sled trailer parked in the driveway ("Hello, it's winter. I went riding yesterday and I'm going to go again tomorrow, it's CHristmas time and I finally have more than one day off farking work!")
Call the cops if you have company visitng and they're parked on the street (in a g0dd@m 100' dia culdesac!) for a night or 2.
Call the dog catcher because your dog was barking. Dog catcher shows up on a Sunday to give me a ticket for last Tuesday! Told her to pack it up her arse. Went to court 2x just for that because I knew I was ice fishing last Tuesday and the dogs were in the garage, it was 10 below!

Point is, just go talk to your neighbor if there'sa problem! Now I know why my kids were the only ones playing outside in the subdivision. P****sy bunch of poeple keep their kids in getting fat playing video games because it's too hot, too cold, too sunny (skin cancer), too rainy, kids might get abducted, etc. Phooey!