Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (AndrewMulkern4)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-06-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
i want an easier way to put gas into my boat, there's too much spillage just using the cans. so what tricks do you guys use? hoses, pumps, etc.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2010, 6:56 PM Reply   
I use a 4ft clear hose. You can get them at any hardware store. Find one that fits tight on the gas nozzle (3/4in?)
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-06-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Buy a few cheap regular red 5 gallon gas cans and a 1" clear hose from the hardware store. Take the cap off the gas can and set it on the sundeck right above the boat filler(put a towel underneath incase any spills). Stick one end of the hose in the gas filler and the other in the gas can. Cup your hand around where the hose enters the gas can neck to make a tight seal then squeeze the gas can with your legs. Keep squeezing the gas can for a few seconds after the flow starts and if you created a good syphon the can will empty in about 10 seconds. Works like a charm!
Old     (redrider)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-06-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
Shaker Siphon

Not A Drip...

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Siphon-s...=pd_sim_auto_1
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-07-2010, 12:31 AM Reply   
We use a siphon hose also, not the quickest but never spil a drop.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-07-2010, 3:56 AM Reply   
+1 on the siphon hose, works a charm and can be really quick if you get a thick one
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-07-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
I use the 15 gallon gas caddy's. It's gravity fed. flows slow but works great, no spills.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-07-2010, 9:05 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...tml?1266205389

It's all about the siphon. Move the hose up and down in the can and away she goes...
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-07-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw209 View Post
Buy a few cheap regular red 5 gallon gas cans and a 1" clear hose from the hardware store. Take the cap off the gas can and set it on the sundeck right above the boat filler(put a towel underneath incase any spills). Stick one end of the hose in the gas filler and the other in the gas can. Cup your hand around where the hose enters the gas can neck to make a tight seal then squeeze the gas can with your legs. Keep squeezing the gas can for a few seconds after the flow starts and if you created a good syphon the can will empty in about 10 seconds. Works like a charm!
Do these tanks have the vents in them?

http://www.jazzmotorsports.com/scrib...-p-222591.html

I would assume no because it would seem you would want it seeled??
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-07-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
+1 on the Shaker Siphon. Best $8 I ever spent. We were just at Nacimiento for a week and had to gas up multiple times with containers. Didn't spill a drop.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
They used to have gas cans with vents and flexible spouts. Never spilled a drop.

Now they are all spilless and ventless w/ stiff spouts. And now I spill a lot.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-08-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
Edgar- No vents in the gas cans I use. Drains 5 gallons in 10-15 seconds.

Last edited by ryanw209; 07-08-2010 at 9:42 PM.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-09-2010, 4:04 AM Reply   
siphon
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-09-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
Another vote for the Shaker Siphon. It's fast and you won't spill a drop.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-09-2010, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
They used to have gas cans with vents and flexible spouts. Never spilled a drop.

Now they are all spilless and ventless w/ stiff spouts. And now I spill a lot.
Install a vent in your ventless cans for a couple bucks.

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-09-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
We use Ryan's method, and it works absolutely perfect. really fast, and no mess (unless you overfill of course)
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-27-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
how fast? as in how many seconds?
Old    mojo            08-27-2011, 4:11 PM Reply   
Thank california for carb tanks.
Old     (hellrider)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-24-2011, 5:49 PM Reply   
Check out this how to I posted on my site

http://www.supremeboatsunited.com/fo...p?118-how-to-s

There is also a link to a youtube video that shows you how. Super simple trick, I am surprised more people dont know how to do it.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-24-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
vp racing jugs with flexible spout ---hold 6 gallons each, vented, and don't spill a drop.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-24-2011, 9:18 PM Reply   
I just bought this wonderful shake siphon on Amazon...
Attached Images

Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-25-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
I agree with the shake siphon. I have a 3/4" one. It will drain a 7 gallon tank in around 30 seconds, and there's not a drop left in the can. Just be careful when the tank is almost full, I pinch the hose to slowdown the flow.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-25-2011, 3:55 PM Reply   
+1 for shaker siphon. It's really pretty amazing, and since I got one, everyone I ride with has bought one for themselves.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-26-2011, 10:46 AM Reply   
+1 for shaker siphon-been using it for two years, work great. I can't think of anything better. I also know a few others who use it also.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       09-26-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
Another +1 for the super siphon. I've been using one for years and it is just great. It actually empties the cans faster than pooring and you never spill a drop and don't have to lift the cans. I put a towel down on the sunpad and put the can on top of the towel and start the siphon. This is the one I use:
http://www.boatshowproducts.com/super-siphon-hose
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-26-2011, 11:28 AM Reply   
So I have one of these super siphons too. The problem I have is that the hose curls up & the end doesn't stay on the bottom of the can. I've tried clear tubing & fuel line. And when their not being used, I keep them wound up in a coil about a foot in diameter. I'm sure this is why they are curled up. How are you guys keeping the hose straight enough that the end of the hose goes to the bottom of the gas can?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-26-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
Where does everyone get larger diameter tubing for their shaker siphons? I have a lowes 'magic pump' same.thing... I just wish it were faster, although no hands gas fill is nice...
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-26-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
The shaker siphon is the best $7 you will ever spend!
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-27-2011, 6:45 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine made this for me. It's 6" PVC to a 3/4" hose. You can take the top off the gas cans and pour away. I can put 30 gallons in my boat quicker than I can put 5 gallons in the waverunner using a can with the pouring spout.
Attached Images

Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-27-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyal View Post
A buddy of mine made this for me. It's 6" PVC to a 3/4" hose. You can take the top off the gas cans and pour away. I can put 30 gallons in my boat quicker than I can put 5 gallons in the waverunner using a can with the pouring spout.
how did you fasten it to the poll? ive thought about this same approach.

i currently just siphon mine with the "squeeze the can" trick. works great. has anyone done it this way and with the shaker? preference?
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-27-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Do you have a cap for it to keep the dirt/dust out ?
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-27-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
that is cool but I could still see how you could spill or splash. Pouring gas in when hung over and shaking is one example.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-27-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
So I have one of these super siphons too. The problem I have is that the hose curls up & the end doesn't stay on the bottom of the can. I've tried clear tubing & fuel line. And when their not being used, I keep them wound up in a coil about a foot in diameter. I'm sure this is why they are curled up. How are you guys keeping the hose straight enough that the end of the hose goes to the bottom of the gas can?
just drop it in, the curl will hit the edge of the can and slide it to the bottom. I turn the can a little so the hose hits the corner.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-27-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Where does everyone get larger diameter tubing for their shaker siphons? I have a lowes 'magic pump' same.thing... I just wish it were faster, although no hands gas fill is nice...
the higher you elevate the can can the faster it will siphon. you can actually hear it vibrate when it's really going.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-28-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
Genius! Jeff....
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-28-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jame04 View Post
that is cool but I could still see how you could spill or splash. Pouring gas in when hung over and shaking is one example.
Hungover and Shaking. I stay on the couch when its that bad.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       09-29-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
I use the PVC with a hose to where the boat gas intake is. I used 3 big hose clamps to clamp the 3" PVC pipe to the leg of the boat lift and then a few feet of 1" hose to get it into the boat. This takes gas faster than my can without a nozzle can empty. Works great, cost is veyr very low.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-01-2011, 3:08 PM Reply   
Here is a video to show you how fast the "squeezing the can" method is. My friend uses the shaker siphon and it takes about 2 minutes to empty 5 gallons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAtWlmzN3k
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-01-2011, 4:34 PM Reply   
cool video.
Old     (iliketowakealot)      Join Date: May 2011       10-08-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
Thanks to this thread, I bought the Shaker Siphon from Amazon and tried it out today. Awesome! Thanks for the info...ot took about 4 minutes to empty a 5 gallon can. Sure beats halding the can while the gas drips out through the CA nozzles.
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-18-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
I've tried the shaker siphon and it works as advertised. I have one and use it from time to time for small jobs but the problem is that the hose is too small. For filling up your boat, this PVC is the best method that I've found.

Sorry I've been out of touch, below are some answers as requested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyy7 View Post
how did you fasten it to the poll? ive thought about this same approach.
Since it is PVC, I just put some screws in through the inside to the pole. Two screws have held it.

As far as dust and dirt, I haven't had much trouble. I usually keep a rag or something over it to keep the dirt/dust out.

As far as spilling it (due to shakes,) it doesn't happen The mouth of the PVC is so large, it;s hard to miss. Never been a problem. Also, since it pours so quickly, your arm doesn't get tired.