Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-22-2011, 9:16 PM Reply   
It's called square. It's a credit card reader for your phone. Next time your friends don't bring cash for gas, ask them to pull out their CC.

It works for iPhone and Android phones.

When you download the app, they will send you the reader. It plugs into the headphone jack and is about the size of a quarter. I believe it charges 2.75% per transaction.
Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-22-2011, 11:08 PM Reply   
I like Marine Traffic - It is an app that tracks ships. It also has some pleasure crafts and has pictures of most. I am pretty sure this is how the pirates are tracking ships. I don't need the app in Arizona, but it is cool to look at. If I were still in San Diego, I might use it more.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-23-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
how long does it take to get the reader? im going to broken bow for memorial day and just know im going to run into this "sorry buddy i dont have any cash on me" problem.
Old     (bushtree)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-23-2011, 8:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
how long does it take to get the reader? im going to broken bow for memorial day and just know im going to run into this "sorry buddy i dont have any cash on me" problem.
You can pick up the actual hardware piece at an Apple Store these days. I believe they ring up for $9.99 but then you get a $10 credit to your "Square" account that the transaction fees go against. So in essence the hardware doggle is free.

I believe it is the same reader for android as well. So it shouldnt matter if you dont have an iphone. Just need to get the Android App vs Iphone App (software). Otherwise try looking up retail locations for "Square".
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
man with all the security holes in smart phones there is no way I'd let someone run my card from one.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2011, 8:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
man with all the security holes in smart phones there is no way I'd let someone run my card from one.
+1
Old    mojo            05-23-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Broken bow? You been watching leaves of grass?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-23-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
+1
https://help.squareup.com/customer/p...curity-details
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-23-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
leaves of grass?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-23-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
that's because you guys have money in hand for the dude with the boat. I'm going to try this with the dudes you know are always cheap. "I don't have any cash, I'll get you later" I'm talking about "that guy". I just can't wait to see his face
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       05-23-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
But giving your credit card to a waiter/bartender is secure?

Either way Visa has fraud protection...
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-23-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
Can't wait to use it on "That Guy" and i have one who just paid cash for his new house but never has "cash" with him.

Also Adaptunes is a great app for volume control.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-24-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
just be careful tho... your fraud protection may not cover it if you tell them what REALLY happened... technically by giving your buddy the card to swipe you are authorizing the charges... not considered fraud at that point
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-24-2011, 12:47 PM Reply   
The App is free and they mail you the adapter now. 2-5 days is the ship time from what it showed me. I just signed up for it :P
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-24-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
just be careful tho... your fraud protection may not cover it if you tell them what REALLY happened... technically by giving your buddy the card to swipe you are authorizing the charges... not considered fraud at that point
I think they mean fraud from someone stealing the info from your phone via a hack.
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       05-24-2011, 2:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
If you are handing your card to someone and letting them swipe it on their phone you are authorizing that transaction....Not any other transactions that result from it. The Square app is no less or more secure then paypal or any other means of credit card processing...

I take that back. I would say square is safer than paypal
Old     (sdgarfield)      Join Date: May 2011       05-25-2011, 8:07 PM Reply   
just got this yesterday, works awesome for pretty much any application
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2011, 9:50 PM Reply   
Where does everyone get this lie that mobile phone networks are far less secure than their normal home / business network? I just dont get it....
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-26-2011, 2:04 AM Reply   
Great, the only thing I need now is a mastercard and visa sticker to apply on the boat....
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by espritv8 View Post
Great, the only thing I need now is a mastercard and visa sticker to apply on the boat....
That would be soooo sweet. "Now accepting VISA/MASTERCARD"

HA!