Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (JPO)      Join Date: Feb 2015       07-27-2019, 3:01 AM Reply   
Has anyone had any experience with Hexatraction or Van Der Waal ? I'd like to replace the front eva on my board for a bit more grip.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-02-2019, 1:36 AM Reply   
Be prepared if your front pad is well adhered for a wonderful chore ! I won’t do it! I have one board with out EVA from factory with logo wax pad , I use Mrs Palmers wax applied to blank clear wax pads from wakeballast over the logo wax pad that never had wax applied to it.

This way you control how much wax and what kind. Mrs Palmers works above 78 degree water though it’s rated for 78 as warm/hot water. We get much higher. Don’t leave wax boards in southern sun. though after being used and getting wet I’ve put it on the rear deck lids later in the day while wife used other EVA board with no issues , but we don’t surf all day, we skate and ride first

I have to email him to order
Old     (JPO)      Join Date: Feb 2015       08-02-2019, 10:45 AM Reply   
Not much interest in dealing with wax. Looking for alternatives.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2019, 12:48 AM Reply   
I run viskus and love it. It does wear out though and need to be replaced
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       08-04-2019, 11:59 AM Reply   
Wax alternative for sporty surfing is really a fantasy—nothing sticks quite like the real stuff. And it’s addictive. But a touch messy.

I suppose Viskus could be the next best thing. It was decent.

Personal fave is wax on a traction pad!
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-06-2019, 12:58 AM Reply   
The Mrs Palmers spread on a blank is not a mess, but I’m not spreading as much as the pros spread though. Mrs Palmers deals with the heat unlike most others therefore little or no less
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-11-2019, 2:28 AM Reply   
OK, so Hexatraction, Van der Waal (not the effect), Rs, wax mat, etc. are all vinyl sheets with a silicon 'traction' surface. These are no different than non-slip products for tubs etc. They've been around for a long time. They are non-slip but not particularly grippy, they grip with force, but if you are light on the force, they slip. You need to keep them clean as they become slippery with oils from you hands, feet, sunscreen, etc.

Another somewhat similar product is a type of wax mat designed to assist in building a nice wax pattern with actual wax.These have built in raise patterns that you wax like a normal board.

Viskus and some other similar products. These again are vinyl back sheet with a splatter of polyurethane adhesive. They use a texture gun and use solvents to reduce the viscosity of polyurethane adhesive then spray it on the vinyl. Some like it some don't. Kind of costly at $16 for a disposable product. Most still add sticky wax to these.

Good quality EVA is generally grippy enough for most, however, many like to add some sticky wax to their eva to assist in grip. Like all products, EVA will get more slippery with time from oils, so a little soap wash can help after a season or so. If you add wax to EVA it will eventually lessen the adhesives backings ability to stick and of course the wax will pick up all the fibers and dirt in the environment.

Nick