Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-16-2014, 1:18 PM Reply   
Kind of big news since they've been doing it for sooooo long: http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...oard-tour.html
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-16-2014, 1:19 PM Reply   
wow, big news indeed. Malibu/Axis??? Make it happen! Would love to see A24 pulling the PWT.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-16-2014, 1:26 PM Reply   
No crap MC you and your fellow builders have priced every normal person that does not make tons of money or not willing to take a 15 year loan out for a boat out of the market. So of course less people are getting into the sport and showing up at your circus events. This is what happens dont be shocked.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-16-2014, 1:32 PM Reply   
Introducing the 2015 Mastercraft Pro wakesurf tour pulled by the all new Mastercraft wakesurf x20.

Last edited by seth; 09-16-2014 at 1:34 PM. Reason: adding pizzazz
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-16-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
Oh and wakeboard manufacturers are right behind them $500 to $600 boards made in China.
Old     (MarkMason)      Join Date: Feb 2014       09-16-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
I am excited to see what they will have to replace the PWT. I definitely see MasterCraft doing something bigger and better moving forward.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-16-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
No crap MC you and your fellow builders have priced every normal person that does not make tons of money or not willing to take a 15 year loan out for a boat out of the market. So of course less people are getting into the sport and showing up at your circus events. This is what happens dont be shocked.
AMEN! I have been complaining about this for YEARS! Why the heck cant some one cost effectively build a word class wake that the everyman can afford. I have been a die Hard Mastercraft owner for 15 years, I love the boat, but come on the NTX??? 50K all day, that is still pricing most of the world out. Before that Axis was going to be Malibu's everyman boat the price tag on those is just as insane. I just don't get it it at all. End Rant.

The writing was on the wall here once they dropped the Women.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
A Pro Wakesurf Tour! They'd have to hand out stimulants and anti-depressants in pez dispensers. How boring would that be........

Welp....sad day. Definitely not good for the sport. If you want to keep your Wake event alive, you have to show up to support them.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2014, 1:48 PM Reply   
Blame Nautique. They control the ceiling on boat prices.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-16-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
They are all doing it especially CC, MC and BU. Come on its gone from a middle class to rich mans sport to just a really really rich mans sport. I am not one of those 1 percenter type of people but you cant continue to make your market smaller and smaller and expect more and more people to show up. Cable is the future of wakesports for now. Oh well thank god my 2002 MC is still running!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Blame Nautique. They control the ceiling on boat prices.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-16-2014, 2:12 PM Reply   
It just doesn't make sense to blame boat companies for producing expensive boats. Anybody with a basic understanding of economics realizes that the boat companies do not create the market for their products, they respond to demand for their products. They have a limited amount of factory space and they do what they believe is the best way to maximize their profits. That is called efficiency and it's a good thing. If there was a market for low cost wake boats and the boats could be made with the wakes (and other features) people wanted, somebody would be making them. The demand is simply not there. We've seen many attempts at "low cost" wake boats that have either failed or morphed into more expensive wake boats. The market speaks and the manufacturer's listen. Don't hate manufacturers for producing what the market wants.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-16-2014, 2:25 PM Reply   
David I get what your saying as I have a business degree and am an entrepreneur have owned my own company for over 16 years. So I do have a BASIC understanding of economics. I firmly believe in capitalism and in the un f with market aka govt spending bs. The boat companies can do what they like they are in business to make as much money as they can. Just because they are making money and maximizing their profits does not mean they have not pushed masses of people out of their market and then wonder why no one shows up at their events quit your bitching MC etc. Clearly anyone can see that as boat prices increase less people will be part of the sport and coming to their events. Thats just fact anyone with an understanding of economics can understand that. Can I make 1 boat and make 1 million dollars or make 1000 boats and make a million dollars. I would rather build that 1 boat to. The ones that have entered the market with low cost boats are a joke as well. I dont blame them for making the most money they can but dont bitch when no one shows up and less kids are coming into the sport. This sport is now for kids whos parents make at least 100k!!! Keep in mind boats are peoples disposable income not a necessity.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-16-2014, 2:40 PM Reply   
"This sport is now for kids whos parents make at least 100k!!! Keep in mind boats are peoples disposable income not a necessity."

Uhhh is that 100K each? Cause I don't think even that could get you into a new G.
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-16-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
Last time I checked the boat brands are still build a lot of boats so price isn't killing the PWT!

I think more accurate reasons would be:
1. Cable is growing. There are more cable events than ever before which brings less exposure to the King of Wake, and a lot more opportunity to hang with the pro riders than ever before. Event's like Free For All didn't exist.

2. There are a lot more ways to watch wakeboarding, the amount of video content from the pro athletes online is incredible. In 2005 your options were to buy a mag, buy a DVD, or go to a PWT event.

3. There are more events than before. 8 King of Wake events, Nautique's new events, Tige My Wake, Malibus Rider Experience. There is an event like this every weekend!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2014, 2:58 PM Reply   
"It just doesn't make sense to blame boat companies for producing expensive boats"

"they do what they believe is the best way to maximize their profits"

uh...okay.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-16-2014, 3:00 PM Reply   
Mastercraft is not required to help grow wakeboarding. They are run to make the most profit. Why would they dump money into wakeboarding when surfing and cruising around sell them most of their boats? The PWT used to help them sell boats, it doesn't anymore, so they spend their marketing budget elsewhere.

As riders we like to see companies within the industry care for the sports' health, but everyonce in a while we are reminded that they aren't in it for charity
Old     (MarkMason)      Join Date: Feb 2014       09-16-2014, 3:05 PM Reply   
The press release said that they are going to be working to come out with a new event to: "bring a premium experience that progresses and exposes the sport, improves the life of the athlete and rejuvenates the fans of wake sports."

To me, that = an event better than King of Wake PWT. It sounds like a good decision to me, I was at the Ackworth PWT event this summer and I would be happy to see a new event that would draw in a bigger/better crowd.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-16-2014, 3:11 PM Reply   
I've said it before, Cable will be the future of the sport. Wakeboats are priced so high now, many people cannot afford the boats, even if JR wants to ride. Cable eliminates the necessity for a boat, and more can participate. I've haven't been to a tour event in years as there is no stop close, but I would have to imagine their choices in venues plays a bit into attendance. Why an even in Reno vs So Cal? Really?

It's sad for sure, anyway you look at it.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-16-2014, 3:43 PM Reply   
If they'd just pull these tournaments with 80's era Ski Nautiques we could all afford to train to be pros.
Old     (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-16-2014, 3:50 PM Reply   
Hi,

i am sure MC thought long and hard about their decision to pull out of the PWT, maybe instead of blaming MC and other boat companies look at the company that was running it all.
I don't believe the athletes where making money from the tour, the prize money over the years has declined along with riders in the sport. MC would have been paying a lot of money for the Pro Tour with not the results they wanted. Lets see if Nautique step up to the plate and inject money to run a bigger tour, Maybe Tige should step up and run a tour or Malibu run some more events, Supra could run more events.
Before everybody jumps the gun lets wait and see what MC do, and if they don't do anything then would be the time to voice opinions.
We all want to speculate, now is the time to wait and see. MC have supported the tour for many years lets not forget that, even when the GFC hit and they where having major issues they still supported the tour, none other the other companies stepped up to take over. MC stuck in there.
Lets wait and see what MC have for the future, I'm sure these guys will do something great for the sport.
Thank you MC for the support over the years.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-16-2014, 4:01 PM Reply   
While I see your position Bill, I'll still have to disagree. If MC continued to Sponsor the event, I could tell my daughter she could do anything, go to space, climb a volcano, skydive, etc. She just couldn't ride in the MC PWT. Taking away the women was just a crap move, even on their pro team. Sorry, but when you have a daughter, you tend to look at company's decisions like the women portion.

Maybe they will start their own series without having to pay PWT for their fee. Even if they did, if the women were not included, I would not support it.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-16-2014, 4:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
"It just doesn't make sense to blame boat companies for producing expensive boats"

"they do what they believe is the best way to maximize their profits"

uh...okay.
Don't take my words out of context. The point is that the market (that's us) determines what a boat company produces and charges. Blaming a company for giving us what we ask for is silly. Some people just don't want to admit that the market wants expensive boats and has very little interest in entry level boats.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-16-2014, 4:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Dad View Post
Hi,

i am sure MC thought long and hard about their decision to pull out of the PWT, maybe instead of blaming MC and other boat companies look at the company that was running it all.
I don't believe the athletes where making money from the tour, the prize money over the years has declined along with riders in the sport. MC would have been paying a lot of money for the Pro Tour with not the results they wanted. Lets see if Nautique step up to the plate and inject money to run a bigger tour, Maybe Tige should step up and run a tour or Malibu run some more events, Supra could run more events.
Before everybody jumps the gun lets wait and see what MC do, and if they don't do anything then would be the time to voice opinions.
We all want to speculate, now is the time to wait and see. MC have supported the tour for many years lets not forget that, even when the GFC hit and they where having major issues they still supported the tour, none other the other companies stepped up to take over. MC stuck in there.
Lets wait and see what MC have for the future, I'm sure these guys will do something great for the sport.
Thank you MC for the support over the years.
You must admit, you and yours have gotten a lot of support from MC, more than pretty much anyone, am I not correct?
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-16-2014, 6:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
While I see your position Bill, I'll still have to disagree. If MC continued to Sponsor the event, I could tell my daughter she could do anything, go to space, climb a volcano, skydive, etc. She just couldn't ride in the MC PWT. Taking away the women was just a crap move, even on their pro team. Sorry, but when you have a daughter, you tend to look at company's decisions like the women portion.

Maybe they will start their own series without having to pay PWT for their fee. Even if they did, if the women were not included, I would not support it.
Dave maybe you should do some research MasterCraft had nothing to do with cutting the women's division from the PWT . World Sports and Marketing made the decision to cut women's PWT cause they didn't have enough sponsor to have them on tour. So maybe you should call out the other sponsors of the PWT. It's not fair to MasterCraft to have to play triple the amount of menu the. Other sponsors to keep the women's division
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2014, 6:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
While I see your position Bill, I'll still have to disagree. If MC continued to Sponsor the event, I could tell my daughter she could do anything, go to space, climb a volcano, skydive, etc. She just couldn't ride in the MC PWT.
Wow, quite an entitlement attitude you have there. MC doesn't owe you anything. Bottom line is if the PWT made sense financially, company's would be fighting over being involved. They are not.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-16-2014, 7:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Wow, quite an entitlement attitude you have there. MC doesn't owe you anything. Bottom line is if the PWT made sense financially, company's would be fighting over being involved. They are not.
The future of the sport depends on manufacturers making affordable boats that can continue the sport. Without the sport, the boat product dies. The sport will continue on with what it has and what is affordable to the public that is interested in the sport. It is hard to gain interest when a popular event loses sponsorship and publicity. It hurts both sides of the industry. It seems like a step back for me.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-16-2014, 7:12 PM Reply   
Quote:

Entitlement attitude? How so? Because I want to support companies where my daughter could someday have a shot? The women were dropped from the tour. Mastercraft also dropped all the women from the Mastercraft team, except one who also works as a consultant.

Now had the women been dropped from the tour, but their team riders remained, that would be a different story. In this day and age, they could have cut three or four of the men and kept two women just to show representation. Mastercraft cutting their entire women's team is proof they had some say in the matter, don't fool yourself.

I'm not going to apologize for my beliefs. Especially when they are out of support for my children. You'll understand one day

Last edited by wakebrdr94; 09-16-2014 at 7:16 PM.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2014, 8:17 PM Reply   
The sport was way cooler before big expensive wakeboard boats, it doesn't need them, it just needs people who have fun riding.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2014, 8:24 PM Reply   
Entitlement attitude as in you expect somebody else to provide a pathway for you and yours. You want a tour for women then put your hand up and help organize one.

I have a child, I try to teach him that his path is his responsibility, if a door closes don't complain, find a way to make your own destiny. So no I don't think I will understand your attitude.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-16-2014, 10:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Entitlement attitude as in you expect somebody else to provide a pathway for you and yours. You want a tour for women then put your hand up and help organize one.

I have a child, I try to teach him that his path is his responsibility, if a door closes don't complain, find a way to make your own destiny. So no I don't think I will understand your attitude.

Again, I don't expect anyone to do anything. I work hard for what I have. I'll teach my kids the same thing. I'm only talking about one company, Mastercraft.

There are still pro women pushing the sport, and there are still pro comps for them. Mastercraft does not have any pro women on their team any longer, what does that tell you?

To me that is a step backward for women in the sport. I think anyone with any common sense would agree. It also hurts the sport, which no one will dispute. Well, you might. I'm sure you own a Mastercraft so you take this a little more personal. I bought a 2014 VLX at the start I the year,(I was entitled to it because I work my ass if for nice things) but if Malibu cut it's women, I would put it up for sale and shop another brand. It's not entitlement, it's supporting companies that show good social responsibility as well. They'll pay models to sit in their boats for ad campaigns, but not pay them to ride behind them. Notice I am not bashing their boats, they make nice boats, I just don't agree with their team philosophy toward women. Yes, at the end of the day they are running a business, but like I said, when you only cut the women.....

In any event, I don't think the tour going away will be a horrible thing. If like any other sport, I'm sure politics and bad contracts made it a hard thing to run and operate. Hopefully someone will fill the void and do it in a manner that makes sense and is also profitable
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-16-2014, 11:12 PM Reply   
Alright. I do own a mastercraft.

But seriously? Come on. You bought a boat based off them having team riders that are women. One team dropping women off their roster is going to make your daughter not be a pro wakeboarder?

What about nasa not doing manned space endeavors any more? Are you gonna boycott the government because your daughter cant be an astronaut anymore??? Really its just reverse sexism that youre basing your arguements off of. When I have kids, maybe one will be a girl. Will one boat manufacturer keep her from having a shot at being pro? Absolutely not. Need to have a different outlook on how your daughter will be successful in life...
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-16-2014, 11:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
Alright. I do own a mastercraft.

But seriously? Come on. You bought a boat based off them having team riders that are women. One team dropping women off their roster is going to make your daughter not be a pro wakeboarder?

What about nasa not doing manned space endeavors any more? Are you gonna boycott the government because your daughter cant be an astronaut anymore??? Really its just reverse sexism that youre basing your arguements off of. When I have kids, maybe one will be a girl. Will one boat manufacturer keep her from having a shot at being pro? Absolutely not. Need to have a different outlook on how your daughter will be successful in life...

She can still be a pro rider if that is what she chooses to do, just not for MC. NASA hasn't killed the space program, they've privatized it. Men and women are still going to space, just on other countries rockets. Just like women can still ride, just not for MC. My decision to purchase my boat was not based on a woman's team. I've owned three New VLXs, but if Malibu announced they were getting rid Of women, yes, I would sell it for that reason.

Again, I've never said MC is a bad boat, just don't agree with their philosophy. I'm sure you support different company's for what ever your reasons may be. You have your reasons, I have mine. You may not agree with them, but you don't have to. I can choose to spend my money elsewhere. Can you imagine the backlash Nike would face if it dropped women athletes? There would be protests world wide.

I have a son as well, but when you have a daughter, you become somewhat of a feminist. Daughters change you!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-17-2014, 5:29 AM Reply   
You guys all take "the sport" way too seriously. "The sport" is not what sells wakeboats. Hanging out with friends and family does. And to some degree selling luxury items so middle aged dudes can one-up their friends. Sure mc has a lot of billet in their boats but don't think that their sponsorship and advertising obligations aren't part of the price too.
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-17-2014, 5:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
She can still be a pro rider if that is what she chooses to do, just not for MC. NASA hasn't killed the space program, they've privatized it. Men and women are still going to space, just on other countries rockets. Just like women can still ride, just not for MC. My decision to purchase my boat was not based on a woman's team. I've owned three New VLXs, but if Malibu announced they were getting rid Of women, yes, I would sell it for that reason.

Again, I've never said MC is a bad boat, just don't agree with their philosophy. I'm sure you support different company's for what ever your reasons may be. You have your reasons, I have mine. You may not agree with them, but you don't have to. I can choose to spend my money elsewhere. Can you imagine the backlash Nike would face if it dropped women athletes? There would be protests world wide.

I have a son as well, but when you have a daughter, you become somewhat of a feminist. Daughters change you!
Dave you make no sense once so ever. Again what about all the other sponsors of the PWT that wouldn't fork over the extra money to keep the women's going on the PWT, why is it MasterCrafts responsibility to pay for everything. Also MasterCraft had two girl riders and if you had to pick one you are going to keep the one who helps you out the most. And thr certain one who didn't get her contract renewed what has she done the last couple years nothing she hasn't been riding good and doesn't market herself or MasterCraft It's All a business like other sports of you ain't cutting it you are going to get cut. I also have a little girl and coach a girl in wakeboarding and they don't look bad at mastercraft they look up to them for making wakeboarding what it is. If it wasn't for MasterCraft doing to PWT for 24 years where would women's wakeboarding be. So think before you talk.
Old     (wake2snow)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-17-2014, 5:41 AM Reply   
And one more thing MasterCraft just isn't dropping women riders they have dropped many of the men as well the last few years and they have women on the ski team. Also all the top women riders have boat sponsors already, so who would you like them to sign, your daughter?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-17-2014, 6:21 AM Reply   
I have said this for the past two seasons. As someone with a family member competing at tour stops. Making it to (3) tour stops a seasonysf, and someone who's been around the industry in some form or another since 99, the wakeboard scene is dead. Grass roots events have fizzled off, demo days are gone, we couldn't even get enough riders to fill our last 3 comps a few yrs back so stopped them all. The industry has taken a huge hit. I truly believe it's due to the fact that wakeboat prices are crazy and wakeboats can no longer be had by those riders who push the sport. Look at most of the names on the sponsor list. They've been there for years. Wakeboarding is a young man's game. However wakeboats are now an old man's game. People ride because it's fun, it's a chance to hang out with all your bros. It chance to get together and push each other. That's how pros are made. Guys like Ricky G, Randy Harris, Byerly, Rob Stru, Zane (before he went all coporate mouthpiece) brought people to the sport.

Price tags are doing just the opposite. People still have the stoke at the beginning, but then they go price a boat and go holy crap. It's just not very obtainable for young guy anymore. Hell it's not very obtainable for and old guy these days either. The tour stops are empty because people just don't care about what they can't afford. I also think a lot has to do with the way comps have trended and become. They've gotten so dang technical that the style/flow/and just overall ideology of wakeboarding being a fun expression has died.

Same goes for the love of the boats. Sure there has always been battles here on wakeworld over the years, but in the recent it's all about which boat/brand sucks who has the mack wake, people just laying into one another with bs and propaganda spewed by the companies daily. In the old days people were just stoked to see some pics of dope boats, huge wakes , and crazy style. All high fiving and saluting each other. I guess in essence that's a society entitlement thing too. Sorry I am getting way off track, but hopefully my ramblings make some sense

Bottom line I believe 100% wake boat prices have killed the sport.

Last edited by xstarrider; 09-17-2014 at 6:30 AM.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-17-2014, 6:59 AM Reply   
You guys can defend MC all you want. I get that. It's all political behind the scenes. It's my opinion, and my choice which company I spend my money with, my choice for doing so. You can hate all you want.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-17-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
You guys all take "the sport" way too seriously. "The sport" is not what sells wakeboats. Hanging out with friends and family does. And to some degree selling luxury items so middle aged dudes can one-up their friends. Sure mc has a lot of billet in their boats but don't think that their sponsorship and advertising obligations aren't part of the price too.

Shawn, I wouldn't put you in the middle age category while looking for a new boat
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-17-2014, 7:31 AM Reply   
For $2000 a year (pass and gear) everyone has the same exact same training opportunities on the cable. And they keep building more cables every year.
Old     (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-17-2014, 7:47 AM Reply   
Hi Dave diaz,
Mastercraft did not drop the womens or Jnr mens from the pro tour, the womens and Jnr mens had their own sponsors the last few years it was Mona vie and overtons they walked away from the sport not Mastercraft. Mastercraft have only ever sponsored the Pro mens.
They are the true facts.
Dave your choice of boat companies is not in question from me, i think you have been fed false information about what went on with the Pro Tour.
MC dont have a womens rider at the moment but that is not to say they are not looking for one. I do not know why they dont have a womens rider either .
Mastercraft want to go in a new direction to grow the sport, that is why they pulled out.
Why is it that people on here dont go to the events, ask yourself that. MC want people to have a great time at events, to see the best riders in the world do the best tricks and more importantly that people have a great time so they want to be apart of the next event.
The Pro Tour has declined not because of MC they only sponsor the event, they do not control it. That is handled by another company WSM.
It is just a wait and see, for all that are interested i know it isnt what we want to hear at the moment.
The events need to be better for the general public and for the riders, this is what MC want.

Last edited by Bill_Dad; 09-17-2014 at 7:50 AM. Reason: additional info
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-17-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
For $2000 a year (pass and gear) everyone has the same exact same training opportunities on the cable. And they keep building more cables every year.
That's even a little high. BSR's website says their season pass is $900 and evo has outlet deals on slingshot combos for $400-$600. That's about $1,600 per year assuming you go through a board and bindings each year. Plus, not everyone can make it every week to the park, so most people just buy a day pass which would save even more money.

Maybe MC will come out with a summer-long tour kind of like the one Red Bull does once a year where it's park, big air, and boat combined? Granted all of the attention wouldn't be on the boat itself, but it would be a way to keep their brand relevant in a somewhat "new" format. Seems like the boat scene is going towards surfing, maybe they'll incorporate that into their new tour somehow? Maybe, but I was at the centurion stop of their wakesurf tour this year at TSR and the attendance didn't seem very good. I don't have the numbers or anything, but it just seemed kind of empty. Plenty of pros and important people we've never heard of before, but the fans weren't lining the shore or anything like that. Maybe MasterCraft can throw some money into developing a cable system, that way they can eventually raise the cost of that too. (just a joke, y'all).
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-17-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
Combined boat and cable comps would be/are very fun.

Jibtopia and ProMarine Wake recently did one this summer called JibNinja, and it was a blast. They had divisions from Beginner all the way to Pro, and it was a blast. I don't think any big name pros showed up, but Mark Rugala (Humanoid rider), Wesley Mark Jacobsen and Robert Norman all threw down and took cash prizes and podium spots.

Individual cable and boat awards were given, but the true jibninjas were awarded based on combined performances.
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-17-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
I don't see wake boarding getting any less popular. I'm judging that both by the number of people I see on the water and the number of people asking to come on my boat. Logically, it doesn't seem like it will go away either. Snowboarding seems more popular than ever, and wake boarding is the natural, summer version of snowboarding. Yes, surfing is growing, but I don't think it is a replacement for wakeboarding. My guess is MCs withdrawal from PWT sponsorship is more a reflection of the PWT itself. If the sport isn't shrinking (no evidence it is) and you are attracting less people to watch events, maybe the PWT is just run by morons. I'd bet money by this time next year there will be a new pro tour of some sort.

Even if the PWT continues but with a different sponsor (or a pupu platter of different sponsors), this may be MC figuring out their money is better spent on magazine adds, videos, etc. than on a tour few people attend. What were there - a dozen events? And at their peak how many people went to an event - 5K? So MC could reach 60K people per year with their sponsorship? It seems you could reach more people with a couple good magazine adds or youtube videos for a lot less money.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2014, 9:28 AM Reply   
Snowboarding is in a big decline according to itself, and wakesurfing is replacing the higher volume of boats being sold, thus the manufacturer would want to focus on that demographic. Cable is growing "wake"boarding, but boat riding is pretty stagnant.
Old     (Wakebd)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-17-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
Pavati just announced they will be pulling the 2015 season!.... Just kidding! Just kidding!
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-17-2014, 12:09 PM Reply   
Cable and wake shouldn't even be considered the same sport. I don't even see how one could be a replacement for the other!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-17-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
Aric, you are free to consider whatever you want. But IMO they are very much the same sport. My buddy who is a very good cable rider threw a raley the first time out behind a boat. I've throw 3's behind the boat for years but never a 5. I learned HSFS 5's off the kicker this year and the first time I went to throw a 3 behind the boat it went right to a 5. The skills cross over quite significantly.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-17-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
Aric, that is an old way of thinking. They really go hand in hand. If you are a strong cable rider, you'll get strong behind the boat fast and the other way too.

I wakeboarded for 18 years before I took cable seriously. It breathed new life into my wake riding. Being comfortable crashing and looking like fool at the cable helped me re-find my "ride or die" mentality behind the boat. I learned more totally new tricks in 2013 than I did in the previous 5 years. It is all wakeboarding.

In the future all great riders will have to master all mediums.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-18-2014, 11:33 AM Reply   
That's why you see more and more I/os modified by owners to wakeboard .It"s cheap but they will never realize their potential.On my lake every summer there are more I/o s with towers and ballast bags.Some put out decent wakes too.But if you want the biggest baddest wake you gotta pay to play.People love frills and are willing to pay for them.The sport isn"t declining as long as anyone with a boat can strap on a board throw in some bags and get some air.We can thank the ballast bag makers for helping keep the sport attainable to the average Joes.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-18-2014, 11:55 AM Reply   
So I feel I need to expand on my rant about expensive boats. I do blame the boat companies for not producing a "working" boat. What I mean by that is, I want a boat that has one purpose, wakeboarding, and noting else. I don't need all the crap that is added to a boat to make it add up to $150K+. Sure it's all cool stuff, but I needwant a tower that raises itself, I don't want 4 touch screens, I don't want GPS controlled perfect pass, I don't need a $5000 stereo, I don't need a trailer with dual axels and expensive rims, don't need teak everywhere, don't need water hears, rear stereo control, hell I don't even care about internal ballast systems. The new boats are filled with fluff. What I do want is a X-Star Hull or a G23 Hull with a big ass big block engine, basic interior, and boat that throws a great wake that I can make in to a giant wake with cheap fat sacs. I just want more people to have to opportunity to ride behind a world-class wake to expand our sport. So that local summer camps can afford one, so the guy who is going to buy a $35K Searay might buy a wakeboard boat instead, hence exposing more people to a real wake. All I am after is something that will help our sport grow. Now I do understand that you can and should learn all the fundamentals of wakeboarding before taking on a slammed wakeboard boat wake and I know you can and learn the fundamental and most inverts behind a average boat. But to take your game to the next level and compete with the best of the best you have to have access to a world-class wake. The NXT boats from Mastercraft are a move in the right direction, but it's a 20 foot boat. I have never ridden behind a NTX but I do know that the wake on a 20 wakeboat is nothing compare to a full sized wakeboat. Just the way a good wakeboarder tugs around a 20 foot boat versus a 23 foot boat is a big deal. I know I am ranting, sorry for that, but this is something that I have been hoping the boat industry would address for a long time.

Sorry for the Rant.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-18-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
So I feel I need to expand on my rant about expensive boats. I do blame the boat companies for not producing a "working" boat. What I mean by that is, I want a boat that has one purpose, wakeboarding, and noting else. I don't need all the crap that is added to a boat to make it add up to $150K+. Sure it's all cool stuff, but I needwant a tower that raises itself, I don't want 4 touch screens, I don't want GPS controlled perfect pass, I don't need a $5000 stereo, I don't need a trailer with dual axels and expensive rims, don't need teak everywhere, don't need water hears, rear stereo control, hell I don't even care about internal ballast systems. The new boats are filled with fluff. What I do want is a X-Star Hull or a G23 Hull with a big ass big block engine, basic interior, and boat that throws a great wake that I can make in to a giant wake with cheap fat sacs. I just want more people to have to opportunity to ride behind a world-class wake to expand our sport. So that local summer camps can afford one, so the guy who is going to buy a $35K Searay might buy a wakeboard boat instead, hence exposing more people to a real wake. All I am after is something that will help our sport grow. Now I do understand that you can and should learn all the fundamentals of wakeboarding before taking on a slammed wakeboard boat wake and I know you can and learn the fundamental and most inverts behind a average boat. But to take your game to the next level and compete with the best of the best you have to have access to a world-class wake. The NXT boats from Mastercraft are a move in the right direction, but it's a 20 foot boat. I have never ridden behind a NTX but I do know that the wake on a 20 wakeboat is nothing compare to a full sized wakeboat. Just the way a good wakeboarder tugs around a 20 foot boat versus a 23 foot boat is a big deal. I know I am ranting, sorry for that, but this is something that I have been hoping the boat industry would address for a long time.

Sorry for the Rant.
Totally agree 100%... Axis was on the right path with the original A22 but have since boosted their prices in recent years
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-18-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
Andy DEAD on!!!! I think Axis originally had it right on their first boats their only mistake was putting really crappy vinyl in it. 50k A22 is fair meaning the original I know they have added a ton of stuff to it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2014, 12:07 PM Reply   
If you think a 20 foot boat can't throw a legit wake, you're dead wrong. My A20 throws a GREAT wake. It's pretty much everything you're looking for to be honest.

Everyone that's ever ridden behind my boat has RAVED about it.

The problem with the consumers is the constant contradictions. We want stripped boats, but then we complain about the budget vinyl, the cutoff windshield, the cutouts on the seat bases, the lack of carpeting, etc...

Last edited by boardjnky4; 09-18-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2014, 12:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Andy DEAD on!!!! I think Axis originally had it right on their first boats their only mistake was putting really crappy vinyl in it. 50k A22 is fair meaning the original I know they have added a ton of stuff to it.
Why do you think they had added a ton of stuff it? Consumer demand maybe? Imo there is no demand for a new price point wake boat, there is a million second hand full sized, full optioned wakeboats already at a price point.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-18-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
head against the wall!!! So all you people are telling me the CONSUMER DEMANDED 80 - 130,000 wake boats thats what the consumer wants. OOORRRRRR they said screw it lets make a more expensive boat with more margin and sell less. Please tell me where I can find these millions of price point boats fully option second hand? Unless you consider my 12 year old X star one of them. This is pointless you are all right these boats should actually be more expensive so should the wakeboards and boots etc. As long as people are going to buy them uggggggg
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-18-2014, 12:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
If you think a 20 foot boat can't throw a legit wake, you're dead wrong. My A20 throws a GREAT wake. It's pretty much everything you're looking for to be honest.

Everyone that's ever ridden behind my boat has RAVED about it.

The problem with the consumers is the constant contradictions. We want stripped boats, but then we complain about the budget vinyl, the cutoff windshield, the cutouts on the seat bases, the lack of carpeting, etc...
You cant sell a 50k boat that vinyl falls apart in two years good gawd no one is asking for MC vinyl!!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2014, 12:40 PM Reply   
show me posts/proof where you see 2 year old Axis interiors falling apart.

2009 Axis with 448 hours, looks fine to me. http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=45910

2012, limited photos but no issues glaring. http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=44522

2010, 270 hours, do you see the interior falling apart? http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=44710

These are literally the first ones I clicked on. Should I continue?

The interior of the early models are nothing to write home about, but that's what everyone keeps saying they want. Now everyone is bitching up a storm, so Axis puts a nicer interior in and has to raise the price. Now everyone is up in arms. It is a losing battle. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 09-18-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-18-2014, 12:43 PM Reply   
As an MC owner, MC doesn't focus enough attention to their wake setups. Unless you have an XStar, all the other models barely come with enough ballast stock.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
Everyone needs to stop complaining about boat prices. A $5,000 Ski Nautique 2001 would throw a wake that anyone would be proud of. It's not boat prices that are killing the industry, it's just that people aren't riding.

I ride every day with people that don't even own boats, and guess what, they're better riders than I am! Point being, you can be a wakeboarder without even owning a boat. Get on facebook and find other wakeboarders, get in the "Find a Third" section here and find other wakeboarders. Get on craigslist and put an ad out for finding other wakeboarders. Get on meetup.com and find other wakeboarders. Call your local wakeboat dealer and find other wakeboarders.

Be an ambassador for the sport! If you see kids riding behind dad's IO, give them a pull behind your inboard. They'll LOVE it and it will affirm their love for wakeboarding. Get on facebook and start a group for wakeboarders to meet each other. Hand out stickers at the lake. Do whatever you have to do to SPREAD the LIFESTYLE of wakeboarding instead of sitting behind a keyboard and complaining.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 09-18-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-18-2014, 1:18 PM Reply   
^^^You're dead on. You got to rock what you got and stay away from that douchey "Boats and Occupation" thread. You can have a great time and even go pro without a sacked out flagship boat. Pick-up a direct drive for $10K rock it 3 days a week and find a buddy with an LSV and cruise with him once a week and the sky is the limit.

Also, If you want a big boat, set a goal, work your way up. There is no shame in a starter boat.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-18-2014, 5:18 PM Reply   
what I would like to see is a mastercraft with the fit and finish of a 1985 bayliner,now then you would have a working mans boat
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
head against the wall!!! So all you people are telling me the CONSUMER DEMANDED 80 - 130,000 wake boats thats what the consumer wants. OOORRRRRR they said screw it lets make a more expensive boat with more margin and sell less. Please tell me where I can find these millions of price point boats fully option second hand? Unless you consider my 12 year old X star one of them. This is pointless you are all right these boats should actually be more expensive so should the wakeboards and boots etc. As long as people are going to buy them uggggggg
All I'm saying is if I had the choice between a 40k brand new stripped v drive with no ballast stereo etc and a 5yr old vlx, 210 or xtar, I would take the 5 year premium boat. This is the market which budget boats have to compete in.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
There is no chance you can find an 09 vlx for 40k. Then again, there aren't any new budget boats at that price either.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2014, 8:49 PM Reply   
With the price of the premium 21/22 foot boats around 100k+ and the "budget" 21/22 foot boats in the 60k+ range there sure seems to be an opportunity for someone to come in with a Budget/Budget boat. A boat builder just needs to pick a proven hull type (MB, Nautique, Malibu/Supra) and copy the basic hull shape. If they did that and built it with a solid hull color, plain (not necessarily cheap in quality materials) interior and start out with very basic options I think they could start out in high 30's to 40k range for a 20-21 foot boat. I would design the boat with a similar layout to the early/mid 2000's Supras that had the playpen. I wouldn't put underfloor hard tanks at all. Just enough room to put a 1000+ pound bag in the front and twin 500-750's bags in the rear.

Maybe you could have a base boat that has a tower (a basic tower like a Titan 2 or the old school Samson), single trailer, maybe pullup cleats, standard round gauges, no ballast, no racks, no stereo, no cruise, no surf system, no heater, no trim tab, no cover. Everything listed is easy to add and would allow people to do it the way they want. I see no reason why that base boat couldn't be bought for under 40k after freight and prep. So if you could start at 40k and added the things to make it a pure wake machine where would you be?

40,000 - base boat with tower, trailer, freight and prep
1,500 - triple ballast setup plumbed in by factory
1,500 - PP stargazer factory installed
500 - set of fixed racks
1,000 - upcharge for going to a tandem trailer
1,000 - Trim tab
500 - cover
500 - base stereo with deck and 4 speakers
500 - heater
500 - bimini

7500 - options subtotal

47,500 - Total purchase price before Tax and Title

Do you guys think there would be a market for a 21' boat that could be purchased stripped down for 40k or equipped with most the good stuff for 45-47k?

I just don't see why a company can't make money building that type of boat, while stealing sales from the I/O market where you can buy a 21 or 22' boat for 45k.

Now that I think of it, what can you buy a stripped down A20 for? If you don't get the wedge, do basic stereo, basic cruise, a set of racks, single axle trailer, basic gelcoat colors/scheme, etc..
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-18-2014, 8:51 PM Reply   
How awesome would it be if you could get a boat that has a similar hull to an MB 21TWB that you know will throw a great wake with 2500# or so but get it for 45k?

Now that I bring that up, what happened to the 50k MB that was available 2 or 3 years ago. Can you even get the cheapest MB for under 60k now?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-19-2014, 5:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
With the price of the premium 21/22 foot boats around 100k+ and the "budget" 21/22 foot boats in the 60k+ range there sure seems to be an opportunity for someone to come in with a Budget/Budget boat. A boat builder just needs to pick a proven hull type (MB, Nautique, Malibu/Supra) and copy the basic hull shape. If they did that and built it with a solid hull color, plain (not necessarily cheap in quality materials) interior and start out with very basic options I think they could start out in high 30's to 40k range for a 20-21 foot boat. I would design the boat with a similar layout to the early/mid 2000's Supras that had the playpen. I wouldn't put underfloor hard tanks at all. Just enough room to put a 1000+ pound bag in the front and twin 500-750's bags in the rear.

Maybe you could have a base boat that has a tower (a basic tower like a Titan 2 or the old school Samson), single trailer, maybe pullup cleats, standard round gauges, no ballast, no racks, no stereo, no cruise, no surf system, no heater, no trim tab, no cover. Everything listed is easy to add and would allow people to do it the way they want. I see no reason why that base boat couldn't be bought for under 40k after freight and prep. So if you could start at 40k and added the things to make it a pure wake machine where would you be?

40,000 - base boat with tower, trailer, freight and prep
1,500 - triple ballast setup plumbed in by factory
1,500 - PP stargazer factory installed
500 - set of fixed racks
1,000 - upcharge for going to a tandem trailer
1,000 - Trim tab
500 - cover
500 - base stereo with deck and 4 speakers
500 - heater
500 - bimini

7500 - options subtotal

47,500 - Total purchase price before Tax and Title

Do you guys think there would be a market for a 21' boat that could be purchased stripped down for 40k or equipped with most the good stuff for 45-47k?

I just don't see why a company can't make money building that type of boat, while stealing sales from the I/O market where you can buy a 21 or 22' boat for 45k.

Now that I think of it, what can you buy a stripped down A20 for? If you don't get the wedge, do basic stereo, basic cruise, a set of racks, single axle trailer, basic gelcoat colors/scheme, etc..

A20 leftover without big stereo would in that ballpark.

Heck, I'd sell my A20 for 45k. 70 hours, like new.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-19-2014, 6:33 AM Reply   
If people wanted 'price point' boats - the manufacturers would make one. Axis tried - everyone wanted them optioned up to almost Malibu anyway.

Something else people seem to be forgetting is that materials have gotten MUCH more expensive. A heavy duty hull requires a lot of fiberglass and gelcoat - that stuff isn't cheap. You don't want vinyl that falls apart after 2 years? Not cheap. Decent marine engines - Not cheap.

Yes, not everyone wants an Xstar or G23.. but they're not why wakeboarding is 'dying'. FWIW, I don't think it is - I live on a lake.. there's a LOT of people riding. Want to talk a dying sport? Waterskiing. You see almost nobody skiing.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-19-2014, 6:54 AM Reply   
So no one here thinks that a 75k and up wakeboat does not push many people out of the market and out of the sport? Remember MC pulled out of the tour because lack of attendance and somehow it has zero zilch nothing to do with the cost of getting into the sport. Everything but that.
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       09-19-2014, 7:01 AM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...urce=SpringBot

buywake.com posted this on there twitter and instagram this morning. It looks interesting to say the least
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-19-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Everyone needs to stop complaining about boat prices. A $5,000 Ski Nautique 2001 would throw a wake that anyone would be proud of. It's not boat prices that are killing the industry, it's just that people aren't riding.

I ride every day with people that don't even own boats, and guess what, they're better riders than I am! Point being, you can be a wakeboarder without even owning a boat. Get on facebook and find other wakeboarders, get in the "Find a Third" section here and find other wakeboarders. Get on craigslist and put an ad out for finding other wakeboarders. Get on meetup.com and find other wakeboarders. Call your local wakeboat dealer and find other wakeboarders.

Be an ambassador for the sport! If you see kids riding behind dad's IO, give them a pull behind your inboard. They'll LOVE it and it will affirm their love for wakeboarding. Get on facebook and start a group for wakeboarders to meet each other. Hand out stickers at the lake. Do whatever you have to do to SPREAD the LIFESTYLE of wakeboarding instead of sitting behind a keyboard and complaining.
Exactly! I had an 88 Ski Nautique for 10 years while I was a poor college student and never owned a tow vehicle. My buddies had trucks. Most of the time it had a ski pylon and we bought a used tower from Century Marine after about the 8th or 9th year. We made it work and it was awesome!
Attached Images

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-19-2014, 9:17 AM Reply   
come on we have all seen byerly behind the outboard killing it too.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-21-2014, 5:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
stay away from that douchey "Boats and Occupation" thread. .

I'm glad you said that
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-26-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
Some of the unfortunate truths are that wakeboarding and the boat market grew hand in hand.

When I started riding 17 years ago there were no towers, there was no factory ballast, boats had less options, and boats were designed for skiing and pleasure. It was anything that anyone could do to get out on the water to ride behind anything that could pull them. With that passion there came a push for innovation. With innovation you saw people adding extended pylons, adding weight of any kind, and this was all done to whatever boat they had. I look at my wakeboarding magazines from the late 90's and it was still all about purchasing a ski boat with an extended pylon (this is what was advertised in the magazine). From there the tower movement started. I'm sure some of you remember thread after thread on WakeWorld about "how to build your own tower?" or the opposite "how do I build my own tower". There was this hand in hand progression that started with whatever boat you could afford and transitioning into something better when it was either affordable or ultimately the market provided it. The same can be said for the runabout market, most of the I/O's come with towers, with swim platforms, bigger engines, and I'm sure some even promote ballast.

Whens the last time someone saw a magazine photo shot or advertisement with someone throwing a big invert behind anything other than a $50,000 dollar boat? I firmly believe that wakeboarding is missing out on a market based on a bias and belief that revolves around what the big boat manufacturers have done. The average person doesn't even think you can do an invert behind an I/O and in some cases a direct drive because "it's not what the pro's ride behind".

When I asked the our National association about running a legitimate wake contest behind a runabout I was told only under a "fun" or "throwback" idea and not a legit contest. My argument is "how much of the market are we missing because they firmly believe they don't have a good enough boat?". I believe that if we could push the market in a greater spectrum that we would see some popularity come back. I stress some, because our original growth of boat is for all intents and purposes over. Yes there is cable, yes there is wakesurfing, but where is the push to target anyone with a watercraft that can tow someone? I maintain that if you hook these individuals behind whatever they can ride behind that you will sell more wakeboards and ultimately the players like Mastercraft will sell more boats as riders again experience a progression of equipment.

If the approach doesn't change we face the possibility of falling into the same niche waterskiing largely finds itself. In the meantime surfing will continue to grow in popularity because its the current push and as a result big boat manufactures have a new market to indulge an appetite with expensive products. We were the popular child, how do we ensure that we didn't peak in the 2000's?
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-30-2014, 7:54 AM Reply   
Mastercraft almost went under back in the day because they let 3 event skiing die. Someone else who remembers can fill in the details but they basically almost closed shop. Why? IMO it was because they put short term profits above long term sustainability. You can milk extra profit out of an industry with a process that slowly kills it off. You know what saved them? WAKEBOARDING. All the companies are just repeating history.

The wakeboarding culture is a unique group that creates a solid profit center for a boat company. It is 20 somethings out pushing themselves with their buddies that created this phenomenon. It was huge with beer sponsors and boat sponsors and board sponsors and growing and exciting. However, when boats cost began to rise, the 20 something who could eek by with a $35-$40k note suddenly cant do it. So, it chases away the key audience. No 20 somethings, no beer sponsor. Can boat companies make money selling $150k boats? YES!! They will sell every one they make! But, they will only sell them to rich dads, and wakeboarding will become the sport of 12yr olds and old people, just like 3 event did! 20 somethings dont want to go to an event for 12 yr olds, and the events and the sport disappears into obscurity.

The boat companies should be taking note of the health of the sport thats propping them up and build something to get the 20 something into their product again. The longterm health of the insustry that keeps them afloat should be more important than building the most expensive\profitable boat they can. As they reach the $200k mark, rich dads will rather buy a yacht, and they will be scrambling for a audience. They will have wished they considered the health of wakeboarding.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
Mastercraft dropped the women. Mona vie was there for 2, maybe 3 seasons. They had to put up absolutely shedloads of money for the women to compete at an event that was already taking place. When Steve puled out the women got dropped.And dropping Junior men was really idiotic. Where do the Pro men come from? The thing is the only parents that cared where the ones who's kids where women or junior men.Hopefully one of the other boat manufacturers come up with something better.