Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-25-2013, 1:04 PM Reply   
My fiance got a maltese for Chirstmas and my boxers jacket has seen better days to.
So time to look for doggies jackets. I'd like to get a nicer looking neo jacket that has a grab handle on the top. I'm leaning twords the CWB jacket and was wondering what everyone else had.
My boxer likes to chill on the back deck and has lost her balance a time or two so it's manditory for them
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-26-2013, 4:16 PM Reply   
cwb makes them in neoprene for the little dogs. not sure about the big ones.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       01-28-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
Got the same one as in the picture ... Works for 2 of my dogs but the 3rd one really likes to swim - so pulling an 85 pound GSD out of the water with the handle is not lasting more than a season. Thought about reinforcing the strap - double stitching etc. but it's just not meant to lift that much.

What I've seen are the neoprenes hunters are using but haven't used one myself
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-28-2013, 7:08 AM Reply   
That handle is starting to rip also. I'll have to look into the hunting places.
Now to train her to bark when someone falls, but she just doesn't like to bark at all. Guess I shouldn't complain about that though.
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-28-2013, 7:10 AM Reply   
I have an Outward Hound life jacket for my 50lb lab. I take her out ocean surfing with me about 5-10 times a year for the past 4 years, and the grab handle and buckles are all still in tact. If the water gets too rough or she gets tired I can pick her up by the handle without a problem.

I just bought a Ruffwear K-9 float coat online after seeing one in person but haven't used it yet. Looks really well made but is a bit more expensive.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       01-28-2013, 7:32 AM Reply   
Bass Pro and Cabelas have them also. I'm sure Gander Mountain sells them also. My buddy had one from Bass Pro for his German Sheppard that was pretty nice.
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-28-2013, 7:33 AM Reply   
This red one I found on the link below looks pretty cool too, has more floatation padding, but couldn't tell online how the handle would hold up. http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/ezydog-dog-life-vest.html

And just for fun, here's a pic of my lab when she was a pup stylin her first vest while waiting to go for a ride on the jet ski!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-28-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
That is cute. Good looking dog.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       01-28-2013, 2:22 PM Reply   
@Jasin - it's usually not a problem that they need a ton of floatation ... except the dog is really nervous when in the water - both my shepherds can rest on my arms and relax when I'm in the water (they just don't know how much water I gotta tread but ...) the neoprene provide more flex than the link you provided or the red one in the first picture.

On the other hand if something happens - you'll probably have your hands full anyway - so knowing that the dogs are safe is important ;-)
Attached Images

Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       01-28-2013, 8:36 PM Reply   
Nice pic with the shades! Yea, my dogs aren't nervous in the water, they would stay out there all day if I let them and just paddle around together. They go on 100 yard retrieves routinely without a jacket, but if the boat sunk or something I definitely want them to have the best vest I can find. I actually don't have them in a jacket all the time, just when I'm riding behind the boat but I should probably make them wear them all the time just in case. They are calmer with the vests on too.

Anyone else got dog jacket pics?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-28-2013, 9:37 PM Reply   
Ruffwear hands down. But I would get the Big Eddy which I guess they are obsoleteing. It is cut for swimming, safety and comfort. Floats my 65lber fine.

http://www.ruffwear.com/Big-Eddy-Float-Coat_2
Old     (LFMCrider6)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-29-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
I was down in NC and picked up a CWB one for our 7 pound Minpin and the did have bigger sizes. The jacket is super nice fits tight and floats great.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-29-2013, 6:50 AM Reply   
I like the Ruffwear stuff. Hopefully this week I can go look at the CWB at a local shop. But I'm leaning towards to ruffwear stuff.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-29-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
I wouldn't waste your time. The CWB won't compare, it's an accessory product to them, when it's part of Ruffwear's service dog product offering.
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-29-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
The girls modeling their Ruffwear life jackets. At 90lbs each we never have a problem hoisting them on the swimstep by the grab handle. But I see the newer models have an even stouter handle. http://www.ruffwear.com/-9-float-coat?sc=2&category=694
Attached Images

Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-29-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
I would go cwb for the small dog. My buddy has been using his for 3 or 4 seasons and it still looks new and floats great. The big dogs can handle the bulkier stiffer material better than the little guy can. His Morkie doesn't mind the cwb vest at all.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-30-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
That and the new CWB looks nicer which will keep the fiance' happy.
Old     (brianl)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-30-2013, 4:21 PM Reply   
Ruff gear for sure. We have a Weimar and Duck Tolling Retriever both have had their vests for ten years with no problems. Both dogs weigh about 80lbs.