Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (rameter)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-21-2015, 8:03 AM Reply   
I think I finally came to the realization that I want to update (upgrade) my '03 210. It's been a terrific boat for me and my family for about 3 years (first boat since I was a kid). Kids are now 10 and 12 and LOVE to board and surf. They are also getting to the age where we have a lot of "guests". So for me, I'm in need of a larger boat, maybe wider beam, something that surfs better (I just can't dial in the surf wave and don't want to have bags all over the cabin), and something with more storage.

When I set out, there were also a couple minor features I was looking for: 1) walkthrough transom, 2) tower speakers mounted on the side of the tower (I'm 6'2" and CONSTANTLY crack my head on the Rev10s I have), 3) easy bimini, 4) sufficient "flip-of-a-switch" ballast (I get NO help driving, setting up runs/ropes, etc and anything to make my life on the water easier, the better), 5) either snap out carpet or sea-deck type flooring, 6) swivel board racks and 6) good looks. Oh yeah, I really can't justify spending $100k on a G series.

So I originally started looking at 2009-2012 SAN 230s, Tige RZ2, Tige Z3, and a few MCs (older Xstars, X-45s). I shied away from Malibu's just based on a "quality" perception I had from growing up. Personally I think they are one of the sickest looking boats on the water and have a more "friendly" wake for kids and old dudes like me. So I looked at a few and they had all the features I wanted too. Ugh.

What's always the advice here: just go test drive them and you'll find one. Wrong. I test drive one and that becomes my new favorite...until I test drive something else. Now honestly I haven't ridden behind all of them and to some extent not even loaded the boats up to look at surf wave. I nitpick. Nautiques hold value well, but are low in storage and the 230 has a finicky wake (moving people all around the boat...no fun). Both Tige's I love but am concerned with the reviews on this forum. It's a fit-and-finish concern as well as their ability to hold value. Not really a MC kind lover but the X-45s are nice. Haven't ridden behind one and the interiors are a little "blah". Also, the ones I can afford come with Gen1 surf tabs...haven't heard much about them. I like the front ladder...wife always complains when we pull up to a beach (never beach the boat) and she struggles to get back in) . And Bu's? Well let's just say I stopped into a Malibu dealership and the salesperson literally guided me to the MBs (which I just don't like). I don't know? Axis? Maybe? Good lord I'm more confused now then ever!

Sorry for the long post. I was kind of hoping if I put it all down on "paper" a clear winner would stand out. Not so much. Thoughts?