Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-15-2019, 8:34 AM Reply   
I would love to remove the original decals on my boat from 2006, but assume that the paint would be discolored underneath. I love the way the boat performs and love the wake, but have always hated the lame tramp stamp looking decals that have been on there. Does anyone have any experience doing this?
Attached Images

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2019, 9:21 AM Reply   
yeah you will need to at the very least buff out the boat after. Possibly wet sand. I did the same and used the Boat Candy products. Worked really well. Not really all that hard just time consuming.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-17-2019, 6:54 AM Reply   
wetsand should do it for ya. looks like you'll have a big area to do tho!

I've wanted to take my decal off for a while (very tramp stampish, but with flames!) but got other things I want to do first.
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-25-2019, 5:32 AM Reply   
I removed all of the original decals on our 2005 Supra this year. Took them off with a heat gun and some patience. I was able to get rid of most of the outlines from the old decals with Chemical Guys boat rubbing compound. I had to wet sand some of the areas above the rub rail and the grey area near the rear. Started with 2000 grit and finished with 3000 grit. After the wet sand I did a light buff with the rubbing compound. After using the rubbing compound I used Chemical Guys boat revive polish. Last step was a wax with Collinite Fibreglass wax. Came out more bright and shiny than it was when it was new!

Cutting compound: https://www.chemicalguys.com/marine-.../MBW11116.html
Polish: https://www.chemicalguys.com/marine-.../MBW11016.html
Wax: https://www.collinite.com/marine-wax...lass-boat-wax/

Before and after:
Attached Images

Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-29-2019, 3:21 AM Reply   
Appreciate the feedback!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-29-2019, 6:09 AM Reply   
I did the same as wakinbakin on my Supra 24V. Mine was faded badly around the decal so I had to wet sand a lot.