Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Brendon444)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-02-2019, 7:28 PM Reply   
Has anyone done this?

Looking to get rid of the slippery teak swim platform. Doesn’t matter what grit it’s sanded with it’s to slippery for the kids.

Wondering if anyone has covered a teak platform with Seadek or similar. Even thought of installing strips of faux teak Seadek along the boards.

Boat: 2006 Sanger v215.

Next to impossible to find an affordable fibreglass platform I’m finding.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-03-2019, 4:55 AM Reply   
Depending on your location. I have a black fiberglass swim platform taken off a 14 supreme v226. Or you could do like I have seen other do and cover the teak with bedliner.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-04-2019, 7:23 AM Reply   
I used to have the same problem on my old Nautique swim platform. Until somebody on here told me to scrub it with a copper brush before you put the oil on. I just found a grill brush with copper bristles and when to town. Make sure you scrub the direction of the grain.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-06-2019, 5:43 AM Reply   
Sea deck would never stick. I would think the teak would absorb water and then the sticky back on the sea deck would come off. I bet if you rhino lined it you would get better traction. Speaking of rhino line. My guy could spay rhino liner so that it comes out perfectly smooth. Example he could spray the section where you wanted to install the sea dec he could spray that section smoonnand the sea deck would stick to that no problem. And then he could spray the rest of the deck like traditional textured rhino liner. I’m guessing a deck is honnna cost you $200-$300 to get done and then u just need the sea deck
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-07-2019, 11:53 AM Reply   
You can cover the platform as Grant mentioned or your other option is to buy 1" HDPE and cut a whole new platform out of it. Then put your Seadek on that.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-07-2019, 12:19 PM Reply   
What are you putting on the teak that is making it slippery?
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-08-2019, 11:45 AM Reply   
I had my Sanger teak platform sprayed by Linex dealer many years ago and it still looks perfect. No it does not get stupid hot like you might think and the dogs toe nails don't bother it either.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-08-2019, 3:12 PM Reply   
Sanding isn’t really the way to go. Copper brush like mentiked above will work. My off-season ritual is TSP and a plastic scour pad and plastic bristle brush. Then add teak oil. I over-apply a little bit on the oil. That keeps things clean and still a little tacky. No matter what your grit of sandpaper, it’s going to be too smooth after. Adhesive just doesn’t stick well to wood. The rhino is probably your best bet to cover the teak. I always hate to see teak covered as it’s only getting more and more rare but until the finerglass platforms come down in price or teak goes up I guess we gotta do what we gotta do.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-11-2019, 11:39 AM Reply   
As a Furniture Designer please use the cooper brush. hal2814 is right about it.