Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-06-2015, 9:49 AM Reply   
I need advice! We recently bought a new to us 2011 Sanger that came with a junky Boss tower system that we immediately ditched. I have 4 6.5" Krypt enclosures from the old boat that I am wanting to outfit with HLCD speakers. They will be powered by a 4 channel 1000 watt amp, and we will be adding a dual zone control. I do realize there is no way it is going to sound as amazing at a distance as the bigger HLCDs everyone is running, but will it deliver a good sound? Most of the time its just the wife an I making early morning runs so we usually wont have the music on so we can communicate better, but there are the days we have friends and stay out all day and want a decent sound at riding distance. Really considering the Kicker KMS67 kit. Any advice or input? or just bite the bullet and get a pair of REV10s? Thanks!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
I tell everybody that ask me about my REV's. Save up and do it once and be happy. I've spent way more money than a pair of REV's trying to save money and going cheaper. Rather than just buying a set of REV's. They sound good at all levels of volume.

But what 1000w amp are you going to use though? That plays and big part in how they sound. You can save some on a amp and use a PPI 900.4 like I did if you wanted too.

Last edited by jonblarc7; 07-06-2015 at 10:38 AM. Reason: wrong
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-06-2015, 10:54 AM Reply   
The Kicker HLCD really needs the second pair of 6.5" midbass drivers. At that point it can produce both good and balanced sound quality plus project well.
So with six pods the Kicker becomes at minimum very competitive with the best pair (two pods) of 8-inch HLCDs. But a single pair of 10-inch HLCDs is in another category.
Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-06-2015, 12:34 PM Reply   
The amp in the boat is a BOSS, not the greatest but the best I can tell it would be adequate if we went with the 6.5" Kickers, would definitely get the boot if we went with the REVs. We spend quite a bit of time slaloming on the calm mornings, are the REVs powerful enough to be heard at 36mph?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2015, 12:43 PM Reply   
LOL I wouldn't dare wakeboard at 36 so someone else would have to answer that one.
Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-06-2015, 12:48 PM Reply   
Haha me either! That is skiing at 36...
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2015, 1:04 PM Reply   
I had a friend doing some chase boat pictures the other week and he could hear my music clearly over his boat and mine at a "safe distance from rider". He has a pair of REV10 and its the same if I'm behind him.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-06-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
I just put Rev 10's on my boat this past weekend. I can tell you, these things are worth the price even if they cost double what they sell for now. I went from 4 6.5" coaxials on my tower to a single pair of REV10s on a Syn4 amp. The volume they produce is just unbelievable. When I tuned mine, I couldn't even turn them up to the point of distortion, because not only did I never hear any, but it was too loud to put my head in front of those speakers to listen for it. The sound these produce is unlike anything I've ever heard. Loud at all volumes as well as incredibly clean, crisp, and pretty good bass response too for a tower speaker.

If you're debating it, just do it. Had a thread over on teamtalk that helped me through my decision process if you want to look at it: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=67885
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-06-2015, 1:47 PM Reply   
Also, throw that BOSS amplifier away. It's not putting out anywhere close to 1000 watts... it MIGHT be giving you 300 watts total RMS, if that. They're garbage. The PPI 900.4 amp can be had for 166 bucks on amazon. Worth every penny.

You'll most definitely hear REV10s at 36 mph throughout the entire 180 degrees you could be behind the boat. Even outside the wake these will be loud and audible. I left my friend at the dock and he said he could hear clear lyrics up to 400 yards away as I drove off, even over my engine noise.

They're the real deal.
Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-06-2015, 7:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice, I had a gut feeling the REVs were going to be the overwhelming answer... Now I just gotta figure out how to sneeze out 100 dollar bills!! Thanks for the info on the amp too! Hate the BOSS but didn't want to spend big bucks on a new one either no more than we really turn it up
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-07-2015, 4:44 AM Reply   
Another vote for revs. It's almost exactly a mile from my parents dock to the mouth of the bay. Can hear every word the whole way.
Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2015, 4:27 PM Reply   
Ive Been Really Impressed With Exile XM9s as well. I like the Quick Disconnect feature they have and the sound quality is very comparable to the rev series imho
Old     (WakeWise)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-16-2015, 7:23 AM Reply   
I currently run Rev8's and previously owned XM9'S. The quick release is so much easier on the XM9'S. Sound is similar. It's a pita to remove the Rev8's at the end of the day and to install for that matter.