Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-01-2015, 7:53 AM Reply   
I am looking at different brand boats right now and most of my knowledge about brands are relative to the I/O's. So I am curious where these different brands typically are in terms of quality/performance. I would assume Mastercraft and Correct Craft are at the extreme top. I'm curious where brands like Centurion, Moomba, Tige, Malibu, Supra, MB, Sanger etc....all sit at. Some of these brands to me seem a bit lower quality and more value oriented than others. In the I/O world brands like Cobalt sit at the extreme top and bayliner at the extreme bottom for example with brands like Four Winns in the middle. I'm just curious where the DD and V-drive boat brands fall in line or at least are perceived.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-01-2015, 8:17 AM Reply   
Popcorn coming right up!

If strictly judging quality, I think just about all of the major manufacturers for inboard boats are of medium to high quality. Dealer boat prep certainly plays a role in this discussion.

I think the more moderately priced manufacturers (Supreme, Sanger, Axis, MB and Moomba) have slightly inferior interior vinyls to that of the big boys). Everything else is purely feature driven (more electronics, surf systems).

I would say just about all of the manufacturers have *1* thing they do better than just about everyone else. Doing some homework and deciphering reviews will help shape that for yourself.

The manufacturers you called out are more moderately priced because they do not have some of the new fancy electronics that Nautique, Malibu and Mastercraft have now. Does that make them lower quality or inferior? Most would argue no.

It really just comes down to what features you want on your boat and the dealer you work with. I chose Sanger because they fit my budget, offer just about all of the same options of other manufacturers and they don't have fancy, expensive electronics on board that can break, leave you stranded and cost you a fortune to replace outside of warranty periods. The reputation for high quality is there, but in a more value marketed product. I have been through my boat 4 now and the quality is much improved from boats 15 years ago. Standards are higher, more intuitive and thought out designs have brought better use of space, and cost in theses 20+ ft boats.
Old     (hferrell12)      Join Date: May 2015       07-01-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
year model is important.

Skiiers choice owns supra/Moomba. Supra is their upper line, while Moomba is their budget boat. Same/similar hull & build quality, it becomes more about the bells and whistles, fine finishes. Kind of like the difference with a Chevy Tahoe/ Cadillac Escalade.

Now, before skiiers choice purchased Moomba, they were genuinely horrible boats. I think that was 2004.

Also, older tige's (late 90's early 2000) weren't good either, but the boats their making now are totally different.

I would still say:
CC
Mastercraft
Supra
Malibu
Don't know enough about MB Sanger due to geography, but I hear good things.
Tige Centurion

Also, Axis seems to make a good quality boat that's focused on being affordable.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-01-2015, 9:42 AM Reply   
My order is only my opinion and how they fit my needs.

1. G series
2. Supra
3. Malibu
4. Rest of CC
5. Mastercraft
6. MB
7. Axis
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-01-2015, 9:48 AM Reply   
Most everyone makes a quality built boat now. It more comes down to price range, styling of the brand and that one feature each goes after, and whether that feature is what you care about
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-01-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
I'll play.

1. Nautique, Mastercraft
2. Malibu, Supra
3. Centurion, Sanger, Tige, Supreme
4. Axis, Moomba, MB, Epic
5. Gekko, Wakecraft

Some of those brands can play up a half point or down a half point depending on model, and there are always warranty issues/lemons out there. This ranking order doesn't indicate how I would buy, though. If money were no issue, my top 5 boats would probably be:

1. G21
2. Malibu VLX 22
3. Axis A22
4. MC X30
5. Nautique 210
Old     (Tolleson2354)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-01-2015, 11:55 AM Reply   
In an I/O Comparison:

Cobalt- Mastercraft, Nautique, Malibu. Very high end everything, way more gadgets than you will ever use/figure out, everything is well executed

Fourwinns- Supra/Moomba, Centurion/Supreme, Tige, MB, Ect. All way better built than any I/O ive ever been in, want to be as sophisticated as the first 3 just not quite as well finished.

The "speed boat" comparison of the inboard market- Axis, Sanger. Extremely well built, great at what they are built to do, simple and proud of it.

Bayliner - Bayliner... nothing is as bad as a bayliner...
Old     (jwweathers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-01-2015, 12:00 PM Reply   
Dumb thread.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       07-01-2015, 2:06 PM Reply   
For lightening storms nothing beats a pavati. Hands down the best,for lightening storms
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-01-2015, 2:06 PM Reply   
I don't think Mastercraft should be placed on the same level as Nautique anything. Nautique stands alone at the top. After that you can pretty much lump the rest into the same ranking.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-01-2015, 2:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
I'll play.

1. Nautique, Mastercraft
2. Malibu, Supra
5. Gekko, Wakecraft

Some of those brands can play up a half point or down a half point depending on model, and there are always warranty issues/lemons out there.
I literally had the same rankings at I thought through it. I am worried that I just agreed with someone on this site given recent threads and posts.....LOL (technically, I'd slide Supreme down one and list Tige above Centurion and Sanger in the third tier, but why nit pick)

I base this on factory tours, discussions with suppliers, and riding/working on these brands. I agree, all of them are above Bayliner for sure. Tier 2 is right about the same level as Cobalt.

To me, the most important part to any of this is the dealer you have to work with. I have always been a Nautique guy, but I got a killer deal on a MC a few years back. The dealer that is local to me (Chicago Mastercraft) will always have me looking at a MC for future boat purchases. They have fought Mastercraft for me for warranty work, provided amazing service, and cut me breaks on more things than I can count. Plus I didn't even buy my MC from them. Unlike cars, the dealer factor is a huge consideration and should be a major factor in anyone's decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakarocks View Post
I don't think Mastercraft should be placed on the same level as Nautique anything. Nautique stands alone at the top. After that you can pretty much lump the rest into the same ranking.
HA! Oh internets, you continue to make me laugh...

Last edited by MattieK27; 07-01-2015 at 2:23 PM.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-01-2015, 2:28 PM Reply   
This is so easy, and obvious.

The correct rank is:

My Boat
A couple boats I would like to own
The boat that guy down the lake has, who I'v never met, that I'm jealous of
The boat I've never seen
The boat I bash because I don't have it
Bayliner
Gekko
Lon's next boat
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-01-2015, 3:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'll play.

1. Nautique, Mastercraft
2. Malibu, Supra
5. Gekko, Wakecraft

Some of those brands can play up a half point or down a half point depending on model, and there are always warranty issues/lemons out there. This ranking order doesn't indicate how I would buy, though. If money were no issue, my top 5 boats would probably be:

1. G21
2. Malibu VLX 22
3. Axis A22
4. MC X30
5. Nautique 210
Imo, this is the most accurate post.
Old     (JJwake)      Join Date: May 2014       07-01-2015, 4:08 PM Reply   
Tough to say, everyone has their hot buttons.

I am a believer that McDonalds and Wal-Mart were a lot better prior to becoming engulfed in pleasing the investors and cutting costs in order to improve the bottom line. Hence why I believe Malibu and Mastercraft will continue to decline. If you don't believe me, look at MC. 09, investors bought in to save the company, and overall, it has declined in all aspects including loosing market share to Malibu. Brunswick ruins every brand it consumes for a reason. There isn't too much growth and return in boat manufacturing.

With that said, the private companies will rise to the top, as far as quality goes, over the next several years, including: Nautique, Supra/Moomba, Centurion, MB, and Tige.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-01-2015, 5:09 PM Reply   
Nautique doesn't have to rise very much
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       07-01-2015, 6:09 PM Reply   
Gonna channel my inner JetRanger here:

1. A pimped out SexStar with a snail trail that's a mile long and is the baddest tuna troller on any body of water. It's so awesome that even the game warden wrote me a ticket for being too badass and having too much red snapper crawling all over me.
2. Everything else is inferior and not even worth mentioning in this thread.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

I'm honestly surprised that he hasn't shown up on this one with any of his various aliases
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-02-2015, 7:55 AM Reply   
Thank you guys for your comments. I guess I wont be as concerned about brand while shopping. I am looking at buying used and probably from the early 2000's to mid 2000's. Anything I should stay away from? So far I like the Nautiques but most of their floorplans don't seem user friendly and a bit on the cramp side. I have been seeing some good deals on the Sangers and Centurions.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-02-2015, 9:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
Thank you guys for your comments. I guess I wont be as concerned about brand while shopping. I am looking at buying used and probably from the early 2000's to mid 2000's. Anything I should stay away from? So far I like the Nautiques but most of their floorplans don't seem user friendly and a bit on the cramp side. I have been seeing some good deals on the Sangers and Centurions.
Let us know what models you are interested in. My "rankings" and recommendations would be slightly different based on the era you stated. It also depends what size you want - in the early to mid 2000s 2001-2006 there are a ton of options, but many of them are compromises of size vs. wake quality vs. quality overall...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-02-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM_DLX View Post
Yeah, that's a HUGE difference. I mean the Supra/Moomba of today isn't the same as the Supra/Moomba of 10 to 15 years ago.

I've spent time in Supra's SE450 and also in G-series boats. Honestly, supra has really stepped up their game and are nipping at the heels of Nautique IMO. But a boat of 10 to 15 years ago? It's a whole different story.

For example, I own a 2008 Moomba XLV and in 2008 it was the flagship model with the newest hull design of the more 'value oriented' Moomba. But boats from 2000 to 2005 aren't nearly as appealing to me. Lots of things were changing then, so for me, looking for Mid to late 2000's would be smarter. I'd rather have my 2008 Moomba over a 2000 Mastercraft or Nautique any day of the week. I've got the flip up seating, a nicer tower, better ballast system and more vs. an older boat.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       07-02-2015, 1:06 PM Reply   
I dont think Sanger gets a fair shake seeins how they arent very popular on the east coat and they only build a handful of boats a year but in my opinion having been on the west coast my whole life and knowing a lot of boat owners I belive the build quality and longevity of a Sanger is one of the very best . I dont like Supreme boats much tho I can def say that lol

Id say
1 Mastercraft /CC
2 Sanger/Malibu
3 the rest of them

Last edited by CALIV210; 07-02-2015 at 1:08 PM.
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       07-02-2015, 3:33 PM Reply   
I would put the newer Tige models in the 2nd tier, at least from what I have seen. I looked at a lot of boats last year and I thought Tige and Malibu had a slight edge in interior fit and finish over MB and Sanger. But quality, they are just about all on the same playing field.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2015, 3:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'll play.

1. Nautique, Mastercraft
2. Malibu, Supra
5. Gekko, Wakecraft
^^^This is pretty close, IMO. Minor tweaks based on what I've seen.

1. Nautique, Mastercraft
2. Malibu, Supra
3. Axis, Moomba, MB, Centurion, Tige, Sanger

/shopping list
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-02-2015, 6:53 PM Reply   
2015- boats
1 - CC on attention to detail all the way through
2 - MC total Package and Style
3 - Supra BU and Tige' making great progress but priced very close to tier 1
4 - Axis - best Value
5 - MB and the others get you on the Lake for $60k new.
Old     (SCfan)      Join Date: Mar 2014       07-02-2015, 7:47 PM Reply   
Supra and Moomba are at what? 10 consecutive CSI awards each I believe. Anyone else have a record like that? I would think when you are talking about quality, fact is more important than opinion. If owners are not rating thier boats very highly on thier surveys that speaks volumes to me. Look into documented facts, always better than random opinions. And please do not take my word as I am an admitted kool-aid drinker. Check it out for yourself.
Old     (lashburn1)      Join Date: Oct 2014       07-02-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfan View Post
Supra and Moomba are at what? 10 consecutive CSI awards each I believe. Anyone else have a record like that? I would think when you are talking about quality, fact is more important than opinion. If owners are not rating thier boats very highly on thier surveys that speaks volumes to me. Look into documented facts, always better than random opinions. And please do not take my word as I am an admitted kool-aid drinker. Check it out for yourself.
Supra is a great boat. Demoed and nearly bought the new SE450.
I could not find a record of a $120,000 supra, reselling for anywhere north of 100, or even in the mid 90s

Ultimately, I went for a leftover 2014 Mastercraft X – 30.
I was unable to take the new Boat hit for the Supra .... Or MasterCraft