Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-07-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
Why does everyone think more HP is always the best? 50 more HP = more fuel consumption.

I personally would rather have the least HP with the right prop for my exact needs/weight set up. I know a 335-350 HP motor with a 2315 prop will put 4,500 lbs up on plane easily and run up to 35 mph easily.
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-07-2014, 10:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by get_sum View Post
Why does everyone think more HP is always the best? 50 more HP = more fuel consumption.

I personally would rather have the least HP with the right prop for my exact needs/weight set up. I know a 335-350 HP motor with a 2315 prop will put 4,500 lbs up on plane easily and run up to 35 mph easily.

wat.....

smaller engine working harder, vs a more powerful motor running lower rpm and not struggling? not sure where you got that logic....
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-08-2014, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aricsx15 View Post
wat.....

smaller engine working harder, vs a more powerful motor running lower rpm and not struggling? not sure where you got that logic....

Smaller engine would indeed NOT be working harder if it had a more aggressive prop. I concede that it would have a lower top speed, but that's not what the purpose is for; it's for pulling loads of weight. I agree pound for pound AND same prop smaller engine burns more (due to increased fuel flow/duty cycle of the injectors). HOWEVER, a properly propped small engine VS stock propped bigger engine, running the amount of weight that is becoming "standard practice", the smaller engine is more efficient (meaning, NOT wasteful).

For example, why isn't every engine a car manufacturer make a huge V8? Because putting them into a (for instance) a Volkswagen beetle would be very inefficient.
A second example, (maybe more fitting). Why isn't every 3/4 or 1 ton truck have a huge (mining style) catapillar engine capable of 3,000+ HP? Because that's not what is needed to efficiently do the task/job?

That's gets us back to why the manufacturer is putting EVER larger and larger engines into boats.... Simply put, because they can charge a higher premium for those boats which also in turn yields a higher profit margin.

So, give me my engine that I can effectively cruise at 30 mph (my benchmark, yours may vary) with as much weight I will ever put into the boat. And that's the size (smallest) that I want.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       09-08-2014, 4:15 PM Reply   
" Why isn't every 3/4 or 1 ton truck have a huge (mining style) catapillar engine capable of 3,000+ HP? Because that's not what is needed to efficiently do the task/job?"

This is perhaps the dumbest comparison ever. First off a 3,000 hp mining engine capable of 3,000 horepower is going to be about the same size as an entire 3/4 ton truck and cost a few hundred thousand dollars. In no way is that even a practical comparison.

A smaller engine running a more aggressive prop moving a loaded down boat will turn more RPM and work harder while burning more fuel than a larger engine running a slight less aggressive prop turning less RPM.

You are not talking about VW bugs here, that comparison is also ignorant.

Also i have not seen much on the new 2015 A22 but I would not say that it is better (quality and material wise) and the 2015 Mojo. I would think they are very similar quality and there has currently not been a lot of people riding the new Mojo wake yet since they just came out so I would think a demo would be needed for both.

Last edited by rdlangston13; 09-08-2014 at 4:18 PM.
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-09-2014, 4:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
" Why isn't every 3/4 or 1 ton truck have a huge (mining style) catapillar engine capable of 3,000+ HP? Because that's not what is needed to efficiently do the task/job?"

This is perhaps the dumbest comparison ever. First off a 3,000 hp mining engine capable of 3,000 horepower is going to be about the same size as an entire 3/4 ton truck and cost a few hundred thousand dollars. In no way is that even a practical comparison.

A smaller engine running a more aggressive prop moving a loaded down boat will turn more RPM and work harder while burning more fuel than a larger engine running a slight less aggressive prop turning less RPM.

You are not talking about VW bugs here, that comparison is also ignorant.

Also i have not seen much on the new 2015 A22 but I would not say that it is better (quality and material wise) and the 2015 Mojo. I would think they are very similar quality and there has currently not been a lot of people riding the new Mojo wake yet since they just came out so I would think a demo would be needed for both.

Just ignored the whole $$$$ argument as well huh? Kinda like a huge lifted truck that has never been off pavement..... Compensating for something lacking down below? The amount to "upgrade" you engine to a larger one, is astronomical to amount of fuel saved, hence my point being it's inefficient.