Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gqjeff)      Join Date: Sep 2014       07-25-2017, 9:58 AM Reply   
Saw this posted in another forum and I was unaware of this myself. Ordered a couple detectors one for our cabin with metal dock and powered lift and one for our home pool. Would rather be informed and safe.

http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/maga...-explained.asp

http://www.mfssupply.com/ShockAlarm-...819.1494674063
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-25-2017, 10:13 AM Reply   
Do you not have GFIs on your dock? If not, I would get one or two and not rely on that.
Old     (gqjeff)      Join Date: Sep 2014       07-25-2017, 10:27 AM Reply   
Yes I have a GFCI the main power goes through before it gets to the dock. Then I have another GFCI recepticle on the dock then I have a GFCI my lift plugs into. Don't fool yourself GFCI can and do fail at a higher rate then you would imagine. I would rather be as safe as I can. Just wanted to let other know of this they may not be informed as I wasn't. If a $130 can save a life that's cheap money in my eyes.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-25-2017, 11:42 AM Reply   
True that. I am no electrician either. We have four on our dock as regulated by the CORPs, and I have never heard of any issues on well regulated lakes. Always better safe than sorry though.

When I was young, my brother and I were swimming up to the back of our house boat as my father plugged it in. I remember both of us stopped and couldn't move. We managed to yell and he unplugged it immediately and we were fine. Its scary looking back and realizing how close we were to dying.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2017, 11:59 AM Reply   
Interesting claim in that article. I never heard that AC was more dangerous than DC at the same voltage. According to that article a 12VAC transformer should be lethal. I'm having a little trouble buying that. Sprinkler systems use 26VAC and I'm thinking that's not lethal either.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2017, 12:01 PM Reply   
I had lightning hit the water as I was swimming a line from the boat to the dock in a storm we where trying to get out of. It locked up all my muscles with two pulses but it was far enough away it didn't hurt or even kill me. I now see how bad it would be if the water had a constant charge in it.