Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-26-2011, 5:26 AM Reply   
My problem is that it looks cheap. Everything about mc screams expensive and overbuilt (not a bad thing) except for that tower. I'm sure there is some strategic monetary thing going on here that we don't know of - like by using that ugly shock thingy and rear pivot feature, mc was able to patent the tower and avoid paying royalties or something - which justifies the look.

I'd still like to see one of these towers with a z5 and some 485's on it. I think I'd like it better. Or, maybe if they started powder coating the tower. I don't know.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-26-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
My problem is that it looks cheap. Everything about mc screams expensive and overbuilt (not a bad thing) except for that tower.
Ironic coming from you, Chatt. Since when did you have a problem with "cheap" looking materials?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-26-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Here are some better closeups of the tower legs and also the bottom of the new dash. Nothing cheap or flimsy about it.
Attached Images

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-26-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
DBC, I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but what I'm saying is that, from the photos I've seen, the tower conveys that image. I'm not saying that the tower actually was cheap to manufacture, but the appearance of the tower doesn't seem to match the traditional over the top blinged out mastercraft styling.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-26-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
DBC, I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but what I'm saying is that, from the photos I've seen, the tower conveys that image. I'm not saying that the tower actually was cheap to manufacture, but the appearance of the tower doesn't seem to match the traditional over the top blinged out mastercraft styling.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. You own an Axis. It's the cheapest looking wakeboat of the bunch. I know the wake is great and all, but don't tell me the interior, or even the tower for that matter don't look (and feel) cheap. I have never come on here to blast Axis for this (even though their prices have skyrocketed in just two years), but there is only so much irony I can swallow. You are the biggest Axis apologist on the forum. For you to come on here and say the MC looks cheap just strikes me as ironic. That's all I'm saying.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-26-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
I'm saying the tower looks cheap. Not the whole boat. I thought I was clear about that.

I disagree that the Axis is the "cheapest looking wakeboat of the bunch", but that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. It's all good Yes, the interior of the Axis does not have all of the complex stitching, billet trim pieces, and other nice accents that the mc's do. The MC interior is much plusher. No secret there. You can call it cheaper if you want. If you're going to pay an extra $30k for your boat, it better dang well be blinged out the wahzoo. I, and everyone else, expect that out of a MC. No boat manufacturer gets it perfect every time, but when you're charging a big premium, you're going to be judged more harshly for what you put out there for your consumers.

No, the tower on the A22 does not feel any cheaper than that new mc tower. This is just my opinions.

For what it's worth, I used to buy 230's, and one of the reasons I stopped was because I hated the FCT-5. If you're going to force me to pay extra coin for a "cutting edge new tower", I might as well like it, because it's a major feature of any wakeboat.

As for this new mc tower, once again, I may like it a lot more if I see one with a z5 on it. My friend michael just bought an x25, and I expect he'll be putting a z5 on it soon. I'll post up some pictures when he does.

Last edited by chattwake; 08-26-2011 at 9:24 AM.
Old     (Anfan1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-28-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
First of all, that tower looks really bad and I would absolutely not buy a 2012 given the two very poor tower choices that MC has! Anybody who says "you have to see it in person" is wrong. Saw it in person and it looks worse than in the pictures on this thread. The wakeboard racks are hideous! I feel sorry for the dealers that have to try and sell this thing...its like having 3 strikes against you before you even open you mouth.

Here is the funny part...I have an 8 year old nephew that is in love with MC and goes on their website all of the time to "build his own boat." The other day he wanted to show me one that he built and I said it was cool but we decided to build another. When we were selecting the tower, he quickly selected the normal MC tower (I think its the ZFT1) then paused and said "Who would buy this tower (refering to the power tower), it is horible." Not that the opinion of an 8 year old really matters but its funny that the dislike is universal amongst all ages.

I currently own a 2008 MC and love it, best boat I have ever had. MC has done a awesome job over the years with their design (like the 07 X-star with the graffiti on the sides) and the 08 to 10 Boats...great graphics and interiors. However, when you are reaching for new "cool" designs, eventually you are going to fail! Hopefully they decide to make a new tower before the boat show season starts!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-28-2011, 9:09 AM Reply   
If you actually knew how the tower gets designed... Mastercraft (or other boat manufacturers) really have little part in it. They just send a request out to their tower supplier for example a 2 or 4 point tower and a few dimensions and they get back whatever the tower company comes up with. Usually a couple different designs and they choose one. That being said I saw this tower in person on an x-25 and thought it looked pretty good. It actually grew on me a bit and I thought it lOoked horrendous at first. I agree with the above poster it is a little ironic an owner of a "budget" boat complaining about the bling/complexity of a mastercraft. We know u owned a nautique (cuz I know it's coming) the problem with axis now in my eyes is that they have raised prices sooooo much I can no longer consider them a budget boat. A loaded axis is creeping up into the mid sixties when it was less than fifty just a couple years ago... That is stupid. Why buy an axis when I could spend fifteen thousand more and get a nautique mastercraft or Malibu? I know the respOnse I will get is... Well the axis is loaded and the other boat isn't... Blah blah. Problem is the loaded axis isn't even close to the stripped down nautique. Don't get me wrong I like where axis' head is at about making a quality budget boat but they are starting to outpace themselves. If we were all paying 40k for our loaded axis like chattwake then yea an axis sounds good but when we are in the mid sixties for the same boat... I really do like alot about the axis but I think if their price rises much more they are gonna have to start improving their interior and fit/finish
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-28-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
I agree with Alan after seeing that tower in person, cheap is the very last word I would us to describe it. It was rock solid too. I think I actually like it now
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-28-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
by no means does mc towers or boats look cheap. maybe the styling doesn't suit some but they are not cheap, they may even be over built and designed to the point of over kill and sometimes that makes things look unnatural to the actual market.

at first i was not in love with the new tower but it is growing on me. i would love to see one with some wetsounds, a z5, and black power coating. then my mind would be made up if i like it or not.

as for axis being cheap my guess is not, maybe not as many bells and whistles but still very good boat. they also have the most kick ass promo vids.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-28-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
i love all the assclowns that place form way over function and then use an 8 year olds visual expertise on it to justify their stance. its an opinion, can clearly form is more important that function, hahaha. i would take a boat shaped like a turd if it put out the best wake over a boat that i thought looked cool that put out a marginal wake.

to that end, i would select a tower that functions as more than just a tow point than one that just looks cool. (full disclaimer---i do prefer the look of a traditional 4 point tower, but the functionality in ease of folding warrants a change in design direction)

at the end of the day, the new towers (across all manufactures) are serving to provide rigid tow points in packages that can EASILY collapse in order to gain access to boat lifts built and garages built before 2005 and to go under bridges that connect chains of lakes. if your store and use your boat in places other than those, then both will work for you.

I am a CC fan. where MC has everyone beat with this new approach to tower design is that the most of the cockpit is not impeded when the tower is collapsed backwards. Bu and CC both collapse forward which complicates the drivers ability to navigate when the tower is collapse. Additionally, it is my understanding that power tower can collapse with the board racks staying parallel, meaning that the boards will not strike the gunnel when the tower is collapsed. i dont believe anyone else can do that....
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-29-2011, 6:14 AM Reply   
I was able to spend some time of my friend's X25 this past weekend at the PWT stop. After having seen the tower in person, how it works, how it's constructed, etc., here are my impressions.

The good: The tower is rock solid. It doesn't shake, rattle, etc. It's as sturdy of a 2 point tower as the old FCT3 I had on my 2010 230. The functionality of the tower is also great. As some have pointed out, the tower folds backwards, which keeps it out of the cockpit area of the boat for the most part. That is a definite plus. The FCT3 on my old 230 would be in the way had I needed to fold it and drive at the same time to get under a bridge or something. The new mc tower also folds very flat, so that the windshield is probably the highest point. It's close. I agree with something that was said earlier, the tower does not look "cheap" in person. Had I seen the tower in person earlier, I would not have described it as cheap looking.

The bad: I'm not sure if it's the double tubing all the way around and how the cross members are welded, or the general shape of the tower that gets me. I'm just not crazy about it. However, I hated the FCT3 the first time I saw it when CC switched from the four point tower that I loved. Once I put a z5 and some wetsounds on the FCT3, I ended up liking it alot. Maybe I will like this tower a lot more once I see one with a cargo rack on it. Who knows.

At the end of the day, if I were to order a new MC, I'd get one with this tower over the power tower, put a z5 on it and deck it out with speakers.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-29-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
Chatt, a little off topic but, what did you think of the x25?
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-29-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
The Power Tower on the Parks looks OK because the bimini is up and the racks are loaded. For $13k I would rather find a place to store my boat with the tower up.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-29-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
PLR, the X25 is a beautiful boat. If I were in a MC, that would be the boat I'd buy. The wake is amazing, and the boat is obviously blinged out like crazy. I'm not a huge fan of how small the rear hatch openings are, but that's not a huge issue for me, because I would just have sacs in there all the time anyway. It's all about how you want to spend your coin. If you're cool with spending more to get more creature comforts and a flashy ride, you really can't go wrong with the X25.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
I'm an MC guy for sure but still wasn't sure about the new tower. It really IS quite different when you see one in person. It is rugged and very functional. I don't personally need a tower to fold down, but whom ever buys my boat might find that feature to be nice. I know its pricey but I really prefer the look of the power tower. I like the look of the bimini on it. I like the way the speakers and board racks stay level etc. Gonna be a tough decision on my next boat.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2011, 10:17 PM Reply   
I wonder if you can tow with it down. Would save me cleaning the bugs off.