Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       07-29-2016, 11:52 PM Reply   
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sm_fb#comments

Some of these blatanly discriminatory changes are unbelievable - did they think no one would notice?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-01-2016, 12:44 PM Reply   
That's a weird deal right there.
On a side note, not in response to this story directly, I don't have a problem with requiring an ID to vote. I guess I was under the impression that you needed some sort of photo id in this day and age to do just about anything and why would someone not have one?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-01-2016, 1:28 PM Reply   
These voter suppression efforts are in concert with processes that purposefully make it difficult for people to actually get certain types of ID. This article touches on some of the many cases:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...972_story.html
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-01-2016, 2:46 PM Reply   
I just don't see how requiring an ID is a racist thing. Perhaps I live in a bubble......

Don't all races need a drivers license?

Don't all races get issued a birth certificate?

I truly don't get it

It seems like name calling and propaganda from the left to me
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-01-2016, 2:50 PM Reply   
Hi Cliff,

If you read the article it explains - this is not about ID per se, this is mainly about the other things they snuck into the voter ID law that explicitly were done to target black voters (reducing the early voting window, preventing sunday voting, etc).

Regarding the ID law itself, they are trying to alter the law to restrict ID types to ones that are more difficult for certain people to get due to legal/financial/etc reasons.

The article makes it quite clear that this law was targeted to create voter suppression.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-01-2016, 2:54 PM Reply   
no time to read it. I will tonight. But I don't see the big huppla.

Why not agree that an ID is a good thing, then decide on how to ease it in?

for example....everyone 40 years or older is exempt. That way, given time, everyone will be able to participate

My guess is that the left believe that a larger percentage of their group will be to lazy to do the required steps, and just won't vote. To me, that's no excuse
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       08-01-2016, 2:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post

for example....everyone 40 years or older is exempt. That way, given time, everyone will be able to participate

My guess is that the left believe that a larger percentage of their group will be to lazy to do the required steps, and just won't vote. To me, that's no excuse
Wes just told you what the huppla is. It isn't about an ID, it's that it targets minority voters. the NC GOP even as far to work out the statics of the bill to maximize damages against minorities.

As an entertaining perspective: https://www.romper.com/p/john-oliver...-a-doozy-15417
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-01-2016, 3:03 PM Reply   
Cliff, did you read what I wrote? Forget ID for a moment.

What they snuck into the law was the following:
* eliminating same-day voter registration
* eliminating seven days of early voting
* eliminating out-of-precinct voting

The data showed that black voters were more likely to make use of early voting — particularly the first seven days out of North Carolina's 17-day voting period. So lawmakers eliminated these seven days of voting. "After receipt of this racial data, the General Assembly amended the bill to eliminate the first week of early voting, shortening the total early voting period from seventeen to ten days," the court found.

Most strikingly, the judges point to a "smoking gun" in North Carolina's justification for the law, proving discriminatory intent. The state argued in court that "counties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black" and "disproportionately Democratic," and said it did away with Sunday voting as a result.

In particular, the court found that North Carolina lawmakers requested data on racial differences in voting behaviors in the state. "This data showed that African Americans disproportionately lacked the most common kind of photo ID, those issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)," the judges wrote.

So the legislators made it so that the only acceptable forms of voter identification were the ones disproportionately used by white people. "With race data in hand, the legislature amended the bill to exclude many of the alternative photo IDs used by African Americans," the judges wrote. "The bill retained only the kinds of IDs that white North Carolinians were more likely to possess."
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-01-2016, 3:07 PM Reply   
Not sure why the video you posted is glitching - here's one that doesn't cut off the asshat being interviewed so you can hear his ludicrous statement:

Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-01-2016, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:

It has nothing to do with the left. This isn't a new law. Republicans have been trying to put these in more and more since hey discovered how well it worked in Florida(only reason bush won was due to this law). There is no such thing as voter fraud. Look it up. It is just to suppress minorities from their constitutional right to vote. Having an ID is a law,not a constitutional right. I lost my wallet a month ago. I still have another 3 weeks to go before I can replace my license because of the way California's DMV is setup. Should I lose my right to vote cause of this? No. It falls even more on a minority whose kind of last worry is to go down to dmv and get a license replaced when they can barely keep food on the table.

Again, you said you haven't read up on it, but this isn't new. And you will see it ha nothing to do with the left and everything to do with the right trying to rig the system. Even if you are a part of the GOP, it is hard not to see the voting bias this would cause. Voting is a constitutional right. You guys and your constitutionalism should be against this. But anything to win right?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-01-2016, 5:05 PM Reply   
again
I don't see anything wrong with voter ID.

Instead of trying to strike down every attempt in every state, why not protect or system by creating a doable solution

My ability to vote when I am supposed to, his nothing to do with my age, income, or race

I just don't buy it.

eliminate what is viewed as racist, create a system that allows any us citizen to be able to get a voter card.....and go for it
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-01-2016, 5:12 PM Reply   
Cliff are you ignoring everything said here on purpose? Let go of ID and read...
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-01-2016, 5:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
again
I don't see anything wrong with voter ID.

Instead of trying to strike down every attempt in every state, why not protect or system by creating a doable solution

My ability to vote when I am supposed to, his nothing to do with my age, income, or race

I just don't buy it.

eliminate what is viewed as racist, create a system that allows any us citizen to be able to get a voter card.....and go for it
That's fine. Voter ID is great, let them get it at the booth day of. Done.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-01-2016, 5:44 PM Reply   
no, not ignoring. I guess i am addressing the bigger issue of the blanket belief that a voter id is racist

and I just don't see where Sunday voting and early voting targets blacks. Can't they vote on other days? What is it about Sunday that they need to vote then? Why is it not the same for me or you or whitey in general?
If it's an economic thing, there are poor white people too. Create a welfare item that pays for their transportation and their ID.
There has to be a solution there somewhere, instead of just announcing that any voter ID targets blacks
I seriously just don't get it.

I will read the link when I get home later tonight
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-01-2016, 6:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
no, not ignoring. I guess i am addressing the bigger issue of the blanket belief that a voter id is racist

and I just don't see where Sunday voting and early voting targets blacks. Can't they vote on other days? What is it about Sunday that they need to vote then? Why is it not the same for me or you or whitey in general?
If it's an economic thing, there are poor white people too. Create a welfare item that pays for their transportation and their ID.
There has to be a solution there somewhere, instead of just announcing that any voter ID targets blacks

A lot of black churches organize Sunday vote day where they pay for transportation. Which is where early voting comes into play. Watch the video and read up a bit. They admitted that they were targeting democrats. Just not black people
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-01-2016, 7:44 PM Reply   
I find it more racist that you just stereotyped all minorities by saying they can't keep food on the table and an ID would be a bottom priority because of their skin color. That to me is far worse than anything this bill targets. Since you made that assumption though, what makes you think that someone who can't put food on their table and getting an identification card is at the bottom of their prioritiy list is going put voting early or on a sunday, at the top of their priority list?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-01-2016, 8:11 PM Reply   
Please do check it out Cliff. It's there in black and white - they specifically asked for and received race-based polling data and made specific changes to prevent blacks from voting. Doesn't get any more cut and dried than this case. The video's worth watching too.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2016, 6:05 AM Reply   
I'm from NC and I'm with Cliff.

I don't get how it targets black voters. People can make anything racist today. If you have no problem showing your ID for alcohol, cigarettes or all the other stuff we use it for. I don't see why it's a problem to have to show it to vote.

I think having people show their ID is away to keep people from cheating the system.

P.S. I am the least political person you'll every meet but I hate the away every thing gets turned into the race card!!!!!!!
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       08-02-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:

Dude, are you listening to anyone? It isn't the ID that is raciest or trying to slant voter turn out. It is the **** that the GOP is stuffing into the bill. Calling it voter id laws is just a soft name for what it really it is. Its like if I shook your hand and punched you in the face and called it a hand shake. No, it wasn't a hand shake, it was a hit to the face.

Sunday voting targets people who work m-f 2nd and 3rd shift jobs and/or rely on public transportation.
Old     (doublemwa)      Join Date: May 2016       08-02-2016, 6:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
I'm from NC and I'm with Cliff.

I don't get how it targets black voters. People can make anything racist today. If you have no problem showing your ID for alcohol, cigarettes or all the other stuff we use it for. I don't see why it's a problem to have to show it to vote.

I think having people show their ID is away to keep people from cheating the system.

P.S. I am the least political person you'll every meet but I hate the away every thing gets turned into the race card!!!!!!!
If it isn't about race, then why did the legislators request data on "voting practices by race" and then draft the bill?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2016, 7:50 AM Reply   
I have plenty of friends that work 2nd and 3rd shift. I'm sure they will figure a way to vote.

Ever heard of an absentee ballot.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2016, 8:17 AM Reply   
Seems like this is about giving the poor more opportunities to get to the poles and these are typically Democratic votes so the Democratic party pushes these issues. In NC the income distribution probably has more blacks at the lower income levels so there is the tie-in. Maybe I am naive but I do not believe that there is a systematic racial agenda being pushed.

I cannot believe this day in age and with all the national security issues, fraud issues, policing issues that a photo id in not in everyone's pocket. If you do not have a photo id how do you function in today's world? I get checked all the time for photo id especially at government buildings of all types.
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
I find it more racist that you just stereotyped all minorities by saying they can't keep food on the table and an ID would be a bottom priority because of their skin color. That to me is far worse than anything this bill targets. Since you made that assumption though, what makes you think that someone who can't put food on their table and getting an identification card is at the bottom of their prioritiy list is going put voting early or on a sunday, at the top of their priority list?
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
Seems like this is about giving the poor more opportunities to get to the poles and these are typically Democratic votes so the Democratic party pushes these issues. In NC the income distribution probably has more blacks at the lower income levels so there is the tie-in. Maybe I am naive but I do not believe that there is a systematic racial agenda being pushed.

I cannot believe this day in age and with all the national security issues, fraud issues, policing issues that a photo id in not in everyone's pocket. If you do not have a photo id how do you function in today's world? I get checked all the time for photo id especially at government buildings of all types.
How often do you think low-income inner city people are going to go into a government building? Probably not a whole lot. It's like I mentioned earlier, and I don't know if this is the case in North Carolina, but I am no joke on week 5 without a license because they make it so impossibly hard to get a new one if you lose it. I have another 2 weeks to go. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have one, lose it, didn't use it much and just said forget it when they have to deal with all the bullsh*t that goes into getting a new one.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-02-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
So you don't drive a vehicle? I guess the people that just say "forget it" don't care to much about voting. You have to have an ID to do just about anything. I wonder if the same people screaming racism on the voter ID are the same ones yelling for more documentation to buy a firearm.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2016, 8:53 AM Reply   
In NC if you lose your license you literally go to the DMV wed site and click on lost license tab and pay a small fee and they send you a new one.

Also if you need to renew your license. You are allowed to skip going into the DMV every other time it needs to be renewed, you just fill out your information online. It's cutting down on the lines at the DMV.

SOOOOO its not like its hard to get an ID.
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
So you don't drive a vehicle? I guess the people that just say "forget it" don't care to much about voting. You have to have an ID to do just about anything. I wonder if the same people screaming racism on the voter ID are the same ones yelling for more documentation to buy a firearm.
Is driving a constitutional right? lol. Don't think so.

I do drive a vehicle. Illegally right now due to how screwed it is trying to get a new one.

I think you're missing the major parts of this and focusing on ID too much. They did away with same day voter registration and early voting. This was AFTER they did a study on how blacks
Voted lol. How do you guys don't see this as racist is beyond me.

There should be more documentation to buy a firearm, I'm not signing up same day to vote and being able to use that vote to murder somebody am I? Nah. Good point though?
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 9:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
In NC if you lose your license you literally go to the DMV wed site and click on lost license tab and pay a small fee and they send you a new one.

Also if you need to renew your license. You are allowed to skip going into the DMV every other time it needs to be renewed, you just fill out your information online. It's cutting down on the lines at the DMV.

SOOOOO its not like its hard to get an ID.
Man I'm jealous of you guys. DMV here is absolutely brutal. Think getting to hung up on the ID thing. Gotta look at the other parts they tried to ban with same day voting and early voting.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-02-2016, 9:34 AM Reply   
I didn't say driving was a constitutional right. Owning a firearm though....... And I support all the documentation one can get to purchase one of those.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-02-2016, 9:55 AM Reply   
What was NC answer to why they did research on black voting practices? Was there a reasonable explanation?If not.....yea, that's pretty crappy.

In today's information society, that would be pretty blatant if that was really the motivation

I'm skeptical , but i try to think the best about people

If getting an ID is that difficult.....make the process easier. Don't just eliminate it. I'm thinking that there is a real need for a voter ID. Im amazed that some dont
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 9:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
What was NC answer to why they did research on black voting practices? Was there a reasonable explanation?If not.....yea, that's pretty crappy.

In today's information society, that would be pretty blatant if that was really the motivation

I'm skeptical , but i try to think the best about people

If getting an ID is that difficult.....make the process easier. Don't just eliminate it. I'm thinking that there is a real need for a voter ID. Im amazed that some dont
Agree on all of this. But this is pretty blatant due to today's information society.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-02-2016, 10:01 AM Reply   
How are you five weeks in without an id? Didn't they give you a temporary paper one on the spot at dmv while they process yours? Imagine all the farm tax money being gone - it would probably take 16 weeks to get! Look i choose to see it as the playing field is level. Everyone in that area has the same opportunity to vote and get an ID card to meet these requirements. They aren't that difficult to obtain and are accepted as common necessity in todays society. Are you saying that there aren't white folks who would lose this privilege and be effected as well? If it didn't effect a single white person then i would agree that it is racist. Perhaps theres an underlying issue in the area which is PEOPLE ARE GOING AROUND WITHOUT ID CARDS! I don't care the color of anyone's skin- you need to have one. While it is a hassle to deal with, that is life and if it takes spending a few hours on your day off to get one so be it. We all deal with long lines at government agencies regardless of our skin color and income and nobody should be exempt from having to obtain those regardless of skin color or income as well.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-02-2016, 10:03 AM Reply   
targeting an entire race with regard to voting practices, is just as bad as allowing millions of illegals to enter the country, pandering to them, just to get their vote......

but that doesn't happen does it?
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
How are you five weeks in without an id? Didn't they give you a temporary paper one on the spot at dmv while they process yours? Imagine all the farm tax money being gone - it would probably take 16 weeks to get! Look i choose to see it as the playing field is level. Everyone in that area has the same opportunity to vote and get an ID card to meet these requirements. They aren't that difficult to obtain and are accepted as common necessity in todays society. Are you saying that there aren't white folks who would lose this privilege and be effected as well? If it didn't effect a single white person then i would agree that it is racist. Perhaps theres an underlying issue in the area which is PEOPLE ARE GOING AROUND WITHOUT ID CARDS! I don't care the color of anyone's skin- you need to have one. While it is a hassle to deal with, that is life and if it takes spending a few hours on your day off to get one so be it. We all deal with long lines at government agencies regardless of our skin color and income and nobody should be exempt from having to obtain those regardless of skin color or income as well.
I'm not sure if you're from California or not. If you are, or even if you're not, try and get an appointment at DMV. Next available one will be over a month out unless you want to drive several hours. They give you a paper one at DMV at your appointment. That is it. No joke, call if you want ask. You are out of a license until that.

NOT everybody has equal rights to an ID card and to meet the requirements. Is the guy without a car at the same playing field as the guy with a car who works from home? LOL. No. And it isn't even close. Sure some white people are in that demographic, so thankfully those white people along with anybody else in the demographic can now vote as well.

Assuming you are on this board and probably live fairly well, I don't think you can speak for inner city people working multiple jobs with no days off to go do this. Or rural people who need to drive several hours in either direction to obtain this. I full agree everybody should have a government ID. Make it easier. The system sucks.
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
targeting an entire race with regard to voting practices, is just as bad as allowing millions of illegals to enter the country, pandering to them, just to get their vote......

but that doesn't happen does it?
Where we allowing illegals to vote? If illegals become citizens then yeah vote, but they wouldn't be illegal at that point? Not sure where you're going with that.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-02-2016, 10:24 AM Reply   
http://www.truthandaction.org/suprem...u-s-elections/

several examples out there about how easy it is for illegals to register and vote
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
http://www.truthandaction.org/suprem...u-s-elections/

several examples out there about how easy it is for illegals to register and vote
That is a very, very noted conspiracy website. Always be wary of anything that ends in .org! Or really anything in .com for actual facts pertaining to government.

Voter fraud simply doesn't happen. It has been proven again and again.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-02-2016, 10:33 AM Reply   
sorry
I just don't believe it.
it may not be as rampant as some media outlets let on, but I believe that it happens.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2016, 10:35 AM Reply   
truthandaction.org is not a reliable source of information. I've seen the most ridiculous misleading BS posted on FB from that site.
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
sorry
I just don't believe it.
it may not be as rampant as some media outlets let on, but I believe that it happens.
It definitely happens. But not enough to make a difference. There's a reason why there isn't a laundry list of websites that you can choose from when you look into it. Think Fox News or any other semi credible conservative site wouldn't be all over this?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-02-2016, 10:47 AM Reply   
what does it take to get a voter card? A drivers license and a water bill?
don't several states allow illegals to have a drivers license?

then them being illegal would never hit the radar
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-02-2016, 10:50 AM Reply   
in addition

....allow millions of illegals to come in
....allow for free services
.....don't require much of them
......grant amnesty

woolaa

massive increase to your voter base
Old    TheWakeIsReal            08-02-2016, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
what does it take to get a voter card? A drivers license and a water bill?
don't several states allow illegals to have a drivers license?

then them being illegal would never hit the radar
California is the only state that has the driver license law, yet they still don't allow illegals to vote. Look into it, it's actually still rather hard to vote.

Again, look into it. It doesn't happen. This would be one of the main points of the right if it did. It doesn't happen.
Old    deltahoosier            08-02-2016, 10:59 AM Reply   
I went down to vote and was registered twice for voting just this summer for the primary. No ID required. All I had to do is come back later and vote again or send another person down to use my second name. My wife was registered and could not vote because she was not on the roster for some reason.

If you want to fraud the system it is easy. People for years know that democrats bring out the dead to vote. Heck they even make fun of it in old Bob Hope movies.

Same day registration has nothing but fraud written all over it. Election is done and in the books before someone can purge the fraudulent name off the list if at all.

You are required to be in possession of a ID card at all times on your person or you can be detained by law enforcement until they can prove your ID.

Funny how democrats try and argue that having ID is a financial burden on the poor but were more than happy to burden them with Obamacare where they are fined repeatedly for not having insurance.
Old    deltahoosier            08-02-2016, 11:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWakeIsReal View Post
California is the only state that has the driver license law, yet they still don't allow illegals to vote. Look into it, it's actually still rather hard to vote.

Again, look into it. It doesn't happen. This would be one of the main points of the right if it did. It doesn't happen.
It is easy to register to vote. They automatically register with motor voting registration. Go online. It was easy to register.

Also early voting is not constitutional:

The U.S. Constitution sets forth the following criteria for the date of presidential elections in Article 2, Section 1:

Clause 4: Election Day

“The Congress may determine the Time of chusing [sic] the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

Congress sets a national Election Day. Currently, Electors are chosen on the Tuesday following the first Monday in November, in the year before the President's term is to expire. The Electors cast their votes on the Monday following the second Wednesday in December of that year. Thereafter, the votes are opened and counted by the Vice President, as President of the Senate, in a joint session of Congress.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-02-2016, 1:59 PM Reply   
I most definitely am smack dab in the middle of California hence our water debate over local lakes such as Shasta. If you think lines at Dmv are bad that's just the tip of the iceberg dealing with government agencies. There's plenty of red tape for minorities and non minorities to jump through everyday. Many of which target small business owners of any race and require enormous mounts of time as well. I'm able to get an Dmv appointment within 2weeks. Walk ins may take 2-4 hrs wait time. Unless you line up before they open. I had an appointment and was still down there for a couple hrs to register a vehicle. The bottom line is nobody gets a free pass. Meet the requirements that the rest of society has to live by and you won't have anything holding you back. In life there are consequences- lose your id wait 5 weeks for a new one. It would be nice if it were easier but unfortunately it's not reality. If you want to vote get an id, not only will you be able to check a box you'll also have a handy card that can be used for all sorts of other fun stuff.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2016, 2:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWakeIsReal View Post
How often do you think low-income inner city people are going to go into a government building? Probably not a whole lot. It's like I mentioned earlier, and I don't know if this is the case in North Carolina, but I am no joke on week 5 without a license because they make it so impossibly hard to get a new one if you lose it. I have another 2 weeks to go. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have one, lose it, didn't use it much and just said forget it when they have to deal with all the bullsh*t that goes into getting a new one.

Your argument would be better stated if you chose rural areas. The inner city is full of public transportation and neighborhood governmental assistance agencies.

5 weeks for a replacement license...really. That is the real crime here. Nice to see that you can do it online in North Carolina.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2016, 3:07 PM Reply   
More early voting. Florida has early plenty of early voting and people want more. Then when election day comes they don't have enough staffing because all the volunteers have been pushed thin so people can vote at their leisure that they cannot staff on election day.

From what I have been reading the real wave of voter fraud will be via computer where you rule the system with a few "simple" clicks. Recent hack reports of voting systems has been showing up everywhere in the news. Hustling the poor, immigrant, dead beats or just plain dead to the voter line requires a lot more resource.

Have you every looked at the turnout for any mid to small American city. Absolutely dismal. For the person needing their person in power, local voter fraud can be accomplished with a limited number of votes.

I would agree that the real turn down by the courts relates to other issues. The press sells more adds by attributing voter id issues to racism.
Old     (VanillaGorilla)      Join Date: Nov 2015       08-02-2016, 4:55 PM Reply   
Come on guys give those poor folks a break. If they don't have a driver's license or DMV issued ID, I say just let them use their passport.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-03-2016, 9:18 PM Reply   
http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...d-be-condemned
Old    deltahoosier            08-04-2016, 11:13 AM Reply   
Interesting article Cliff. Sounds about right....
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-22-2017, 1:00 PM Reply   
North Carolina finally made its way to the supreme court due to the republicans gerrymandering to ensure they keep house seats. The court struck down both of the district maps saying they purposefully forced black people into certain districts in an "unconstitutional racial gerrymander."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/22/politi...der/index.html
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-09-2018, 4:19 PM Reply   
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...rymandered-map

Followup on this one - GOP's gerrymandered map ruled unconstitutional. Love this gem:

"At the time of debate, according to the order, House redistricting chief Rep. David Lewis attempted to justify the criteria by saying during debate that "I think electing Republicans is better than electing Democrats. So I drew this map to help foster what I think is better for the country.""
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-09-2018, 5:07 PM Reply   
"I think electing Republicans is better than electing Democrats. So I drew this map to help foster what I think is better for the country.""

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
More TRUE words have never been spoken!

LOL LOL LOL LOL.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-05-2018, 11:20 AM Reply   
Pennsylvania GOP appealed to the supreme court to try and keep their unconstitutional gerrymandering in place. Justice Alito (pretty much the most conservative on the court) struck them down and said they have 10 days to redraw fairer districts, much like North Carolina.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...g-case-reports
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2018, 7:17 AM Reply   
I am thinking forget ID, go thumbprint scanner!
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2018, 6:15 PM Reply   
Holder has your back, Wes!!! https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...dering-n845576
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-08-2018, 6:35 PM Reply   
Oy vey.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2018, 7:37 AM Reply   
Gerrymandering, on any level, to me, is not fair. Voters should decide their candidates not boundaries. Altering boundaries to favor on side (candidate) over the other should not be permitted on any level. Maybe voter fraud is a bigger problem than people realize and the GOP is being proactive and has nothing to do with race. I hope so.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-09-2018, 10:01 AM Reply   
Ron, read the original article from the OP and see if you think it has "nothing to do with race" lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sm_fb#comments
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-09-2018, 1:27 PM Reply   
For some reason, it wouldn't open, but there has got to be more to it than race.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-09-2018, 1:35 PM Reply   
It's probably aged out at this point. But the summary previously posted:

What they snuck into the law was the following:
* eliminating same-day voter registration
* eliminating seven days of early voting
* eliminating out-of-precinct voting

The data showed that black voters were more likely to make use of early voting — particularly the first seven days out of North Carolina's 17-day voting period. So lawmakers eliminated these seven days of voting. "After receipt of this racial data, the General Assembly amended the bill to eliminate the first week of early voting, shortening the total early voting period from seventeen to ten days," the court found.

Most strikingly, the judges point to a "smoking gun" in North Carolina's justification for the law, proving discriminatory intent. The state argued in court that "counties with Sunday voting in 2014 were disproportionately black" and "disproportionately Democratic," and said it did away with Sunday voting as a result.

In particular, the court found that North Carolina lawmakers requested data on racial differences in voting behaviors in the state. "This data showed that African Americans disproportionately lacked the most common kind of photo ID, those issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)," the judges wrote.

So the legislators made it so that the only acceptable forms of voter identification were the ones disproportionately used by white people. "With race data in hand, the legislature amended the bill to exclude many of the alternative photo IDs used by African Americans," the judges wrote. "The bill retained only the kinds of IDs that white North Carolinians were more likely to possess."

Here is an article that's still live:
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...a-voter-id-law

This is the supreme court of the US - including conservative chief justice roberts - who said this " law was intentionally designed to discriminate against black people. North Carolina legislators had requested data on voting patterns by race and, with that data in hand, drafted a law that would "target African-Americans with almost surgical precision."
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-09-2018, 1:36 PM Reply   
Honestly, read that and explain to me how it wasn't about race - the supreme court *literally* came out and said that this law targeted "african americans with almost surgical precision" for the purposes of voter suppression.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-20-2018, 4:59 PM Reply   
Ron, where'd you go buddy? :-)

Penn GOP still at it despite getting shot down by the supreme court LOL
http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...ering-decision