Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (wakeville)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-26-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
Looking for a good wakeboarding lake within 40 miles or so of Greenville, what's your favorite lake and why? I may be relocating down there in a couple of months.
Thanks!
Old     (alt_adjust)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
Hartwell, Keowee, or Jocassee. I prefer Keowee because I am more familiar with it. Spent a lot of time out there during college (and the Tiki Hut is great).
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-26-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
Spent some time on Hartwell and it's nice. The water gets almost too hot in and around August, but even on weekends we were able to find a nice riding spot. You could definitely give the guys at JC sports a shout and they can tell you all of the good spots. www.skijcsports.com.
Old     (chriscraftwake)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-26-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
Lake murray is one of the best local lakes in south carolina also home of the Lake Murray Rough Riders!There are plenty of coves with nice calm water come check us out soon!
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-26-2007, 7:15 PM Reply   
wakeville...when you relocate, get in touch with me. I live about 10 miles from Hartwell and Keowee. We have a membership for Tiki Hut as well (nice little bar on Keowee).

Like Nate mentioned, Jeff or Jeremy at JC Sports are some cool guys. Check them out.

Carolina Mastercraft is 20 minutes south of Greenville, located right off of Hartwell.
Ask for Steve or Chad.

Scott mentioned Jocassee, beautiful lake for sight seeing and perfect glass but cold all year.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-26-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
Hartwell is the best in my opinion that or Jocassee is always a fun weekend trip. Hartwell has the best consitant butter conditions of any lake i have ever rode on. Putting in in the clemson area is the best (its where i go to school) and far enough up the lake that there is almost no boat traffic....
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-26-2007, 7:25 PM Reply   
Lake Keowee is a very nice lake, really have to know where to go though can get very crowded, north side of lake near jocassee is normally pretty good up in crow creek and such. Adam did you work at nosoca a few years ago? Well not work but substitute your boat and drive
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-26-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
haha yeah it is me i tried to reply to you on the other thed whats going on!? where you at now days? I am up at clemson if you want to get together and ride sometime.....
Old     (wakeville)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-27-2007, 12:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input, I plan on driving down there the week of 4-9 to check things out.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-27-2007, 6:10 AM Reply   
Hey all, I am from Anderson SC and visit there alot. I will be down June 15-23 camping at Twin Lakes. I am a new rider and don't do anything fancy but maybe some of us can get together. Bringing my boat and boards. Later
Old     (alt_adjust)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
Adam, I graduated from Clemson a couple years ago. A bunch of us old guys are talking about going to the spring game in April then going riding.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-27-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
**Sorry for the hijack**

Since the thread started, I have been thinking about the wakeboard scene in Upstate SC. This is going to be only my 2nd season to wakeboard so I am still very much in the "beginner" stage of the sport. I would like to meet up with other boarders with more experience for pointers as well as a "wakeboarding" social scene. I know Lake Murray has Lake Murray Rough Riders and they are well organized with group gatherings and such. Is there something like that for the Upstate area? If not, would anyone be interested in starting one up? There seems to be a lot of wakeboarders in the area but I never see them on the lakes (probably my fault being that I have only been on Keowee and Jocassee). I am assuming more people ride on Hartwell, if so, where is the gathering spots? Moved to Clemson area 3 yrs ago from MS and plan on being here for a long time, so it would be nice to meet other people that love the sport and boating life. Sorry for this sounding like a desperate personal ad but I see all the other posts of groups gathering and having good times, I'm just wondering why we don’t have that in Upstate SC.

**End of hijack**
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-27-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
Im not sure there are a ton of good riders in the upstate, Jeffery Anderson lives on hartwell a little ways down from school here, but as far as i know there are no gatherings. Jeff does have alot of demos and stuff through out the year but no gatherings. There are alot of riders on hartwell but there are alot that just have sweet wakeboard boats and board rack "ornaments".

Scott that wold be awesome i think i am going to be out of town a good bit this month there is a college rail contest in eastman and then another rail jam in wilmington but hit me up and i will met up with yall for sure!
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-27-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
I live in Commerce, Georgia about halfway between Lanier and Hartwell. I'd take Hartwell over Lanier any day (especially weekends). Keowee is also nice but like others have said it can get crowded. I've never been to Jocassee. On Hartwell, I start at around Tugaloo state park and hear northwest until I find a suitable channel. Even on weekends, this doesn't take more than 15 to 20 minutes of driving. (In the midst of summer, I tend to drop my boat in further along so it doesn't take as long to find a nice spot.)

The only thing you have to watch out for are the submerged trees. Last year they ate one of my props and I had another close call the very next week. I had been riding in spots I've been using for years. Don't know why it suddenly got so low. Since then I've used my lake map to make sure I'm staying in relatively deep water. Hopefully lake levels will be high enough this year to not have to worry about it.

And for what it's worth Hartwell is officially in wetsuit season. The Corps puts the water temp at 62F. Too bad I'm heading out of town for a little over a week :-(
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-27-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
the water has come back up a good bit and the actual water temp is more like 75 we are skining it already!
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-27-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
adam, yeah still leaving up in this area. If you are interested me and my buddy go out quite a bit and if you ever want to come on out just hit up. On keowee. JOJO i think thats a great idea to start something up theres a few good guys i see around but liek they said a lot are just guys with nice boats like oprah or something probably about 15 that use it for good use.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-27-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
Andy, last year you and I spoke briefly about Keowee. This coming weekend will be our first time out for the year and probably will be on the water every weekend afterwards. Any time you guys are around, wave us down so we can meet. Most of the time we are 2 coves south of the waterfall or sometimes we head all the way to the north end by Jocassee.
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-27-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
JoJo, yeah me and some are gonna try and make it out saturday weather permitting probably gonna be whereever is warmest cant imagine much more than bass boats and a few poontoons oout but we will see. Hope to see yall out there. We will try and catch up and ride. Tell me whenever you guys are gonna go out ill beon on spring break for next few weekends
Old     (bslags)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
guys, I have been riding on hartwell for the last three years. I am always looking for someone to ride with, so if you need a tow let me know. I was out on the lake last weekend and will be heading out again this weekend. I have my boat on a lift near Exit 19 off 85. I have an 06 Moomba LSV blue/black so if you see me out flag me down so we can meet.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-30-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
do you ride right there infront of charlie t's? that cove/river is awesome i ride there with my friend sometimes (yellow and white super air) when he is in town and it is real nice. Def would love to met up sometime.
Old     (bslags)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-02-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
Adam,
Yes that is where we ride most of the time. I will look for you the next time out. Let me know if you want to ride sometime he is not in town.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-02-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
Haha well he goes to school charleston now so when do you ride....
Old     (wakeville)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-15-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
We were down looking around Hartwell on Friday. Based on where I will be working, properties off of exit 21 through exit 14 on I85 would be the most convenient. How is the wakeboarding in this area? Can a tower boat get under all the bridges through there? Is there a lot of shallow hazardous areas around there?
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-16-2007, 4:26 AM Reply   
T Wakeville: Check in with Carolina Mastercraft, I think they are at exit 21. They ride that area all the time.
Old     (needacar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-17-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
We all need to meet at darwin wright park off exit 21 some weekend during the summer. It would be a way of getting all the local riders in one spot.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
I just read that Carolina Mastercraft is having a Ronix day at Hartwell and some of the Ronix team will be there.

More info is on http://lakemurrayroughriders.com/