Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mgrantfrancis)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-08-2014, 11:09 PM Reply   
So I've been wakeboarding for about 5 years now but ive had a horrible hyperlite star board with bad bindings and the boat I've been using had no tower and a small wake but I finally got a really nice mastercraft with tower, balist system and all and I am ready to make the jump to more advanced wakeboarding. It is also time for me to replace my board and I would like a board that is good for highflying over the wake and doing some more advanced tricks. Do you guys have any suggestions for a good behind a boat board?

thanks,
Grant
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-09-2014, 5:01 AM Reply   
One with a continuous rocker would be good to start learning tricks on.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-09-2014, 11:11 AM Reply   
The Obrien contra is what I normally ride behind the boat, it is by far my favorite board I have ever ridden. It has 4 fins on each end, each fin is .5 so the board is a bit looser when flat, but when on edge it has tons of grip and follows all the way through the wake every time for a consistent pop.

Here is a tantrum to blind I did last season on my 2013 contra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0QsiBHM2w

Old     (Pfanny)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-09-2014, 1:06 PM Reply   
Noticed from your other post you ride at Falls and SML. Me too. You might want to consider a hybrid board you can also take to Hexagon or Jibtopia. Good luck. Hope to be on the water soon!
Old     (awakewilson)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-10-2014, 6:05 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat! That's always a good feeling to upgrade to a nicer boat. Even if you are still a beginner, I would suggest getting a advanced board. You will always grow into your board in size and ability. You defiantly want a 3 stage rocker. I would stick to liquid force or hyperlite if I were you. The liquid force Watson is a great board to get good on because of the smooth landings. It gives you an added cushion for those landings that are off center and it makes them easy to recover from them. Hope this helps!
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-10-2014, 7:39 AM Reply   
mgrantfrancis, I have a lot of 2013 Close out board and boot combos on clearance. Have set ups from Liquid Force, and Hyperlite. I also have a few 2012 Watson Carbon X boards on blow out pricing. How big are you, and I can see what I can come up with for you. I have Watsons, Murrays, Bsides, Franchises, Clashes, Harleys, Byerlys you name it I have a couple of them.... Give me a shout at N3 Boatworks. (317)845-WAKE (9253)
Old     (mgrantfrancis)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-10-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
micahelvincz That would awesome, I'm about 5'11" and weigh about 160-170
Old     (mgrantfrancis)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-10-2014, 7:32 PM Reply   
Im also looking for a pair of bindings as well
Old     (CableRider1)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-10-2014, 9:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
The Obrien contra is what I normally ride behind the boat, it is by far my favorite board I have ever ridden. It has 4 fins on each end, each fin is .5 so the board is a bit looser when flat, but when on edge it has tons of grip and follows all the way through the wake every time for a consistent pop.

Here is a tantrum to blind I did last season on my 2013 contra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u0QsiBHM2w

you might want to disclose to them that you are regional rider for O'Brien. doesn't make the board you recommend any better or worse, but it does speak to objectivity when someone is getting PAID to make recommendations on an open forum.
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2014, 6:26 AM Reply   
cablerider1, No is concerned about this other than you.... save your breathe and let JB push his product. Your going to get the same thing walking into a boat show and talking with any rep or rider, they promote their companies product.... that being said and out of the way for a second time.

mgrantfrancis, check your private messages. I have some system boot packages and both open and closed boots, What size stomper you have? Im guessing around an 11.... shoot me a private message if you want .

Thanks

Mike V
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-11-2014, 11:34 AM Reply   
mgrantfrancis, Okay so I have a few different set ups that I think would be a decent fit for you. Shoot me an email, and we can discuss it so we don't have to keep using forum. you can reach me at mike@n3boatworks.com
Old     (CableRider1)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-11-2014, 6:48 PM Reply   
This isn't like the boat show - there are banner ads at the top of this forum and on the right side. If O'Brien wants to market their product, they should support the forum and advertise through Wakeworld. What Obrien has chosen to do is to use a regional rider to provide his free "opinion" on an open forum without disclosing his affiliation with OBrien. Paid ads belong on the banners - what OBrien is doing is dishonest and I am sure a lot of people agree.

If it was "ok" for every regional rider to provide their opinion about board preference, this board would be chock full of hundreds of opinions. Fortunately all the other regional riders understand how dishonest it is to provide an opinion without disclosing their paid affiliation and choose not to do so. Shame on OBrien - please pony up for a paid ad!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-11-2014, 8:27 PM Reply   
Just to clear everything up, Obrien does not pay me to post on this forum. I have been a member on this forum since 2008 and have met many great friends through this site.

On my WakeWorld PUBLIC profile it states that I am a sponsored rider by obrien.

Whether I rode for Obrien or not I would still ride this board because it is my favorite board. (i have tested all brands)

Obrien does pay for advertisements on this forum.

I also do not get payed per sale of a board because I do not have a pro model.

(CableRider1) Considering you have only been a member on this site for a few days now, means, to me, that you do not know that there are actually quite a few pro riders that post on this forum. (Shaun Murray, Julian Cohen, Sean Obrien, Austin Hair etc.)

If you are going to discredit the posts I make or the companies I ride for please confront me first through facebook, email or phone.

Please do not reply with an argument, this thread is about helping someone choose their next board, not discrediting others.
Please contact me if you have any problems.

Thanks WakeWorld for providing all of us with such an awesome forum
JB ONeill
Old     (CableRider1)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-11-2014, 9:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
Just to clear everything up, Obrien does not pay me to post on this forum. I have been a member on this forum since 2008 and have met many great friends through this site.

On my WakeWorld PUBLIC profile it states that I am a sponsored rider by obrien.

Whether I rode for Obrien or not I would still ride this board because it is my favorite board. (i have tested all brands)

Obrien does pay for advertisements on this forum.

I also do not get payed per sale of a board because I do not have a pro model.

(CableRider1) Considering you have only been a member on this site for a few days now, means, to me, that you do not know that there are actually quite a few pro riders that post on this forum. (Shaun Murray, Julian Cohen, Sean Obrien, Austin Hair etc.)

If you are going to discredit the posts I make or the companies I ride for please confront me first through facebook, email or phone.

Please do not reply with an argument, this thread is about helping someone choose their next board, not discrediting others.
Please contact me if you have any problems.

Thanks WakeWorld for providing all of us with such an awesome forum
JB ONeill
i have been watching this forum for years and i have just become disgusted with some regional riders making "recommendations" on boards you ride - people come to this forum for honest, objective opinions - when someone gives them an opinion w/o disclosing that they are a shill for a certain company, i think that is disingenuous. do you really expect someone to go check out a profile of everyone giving their opinion on what board they ride?

We all love wakeworld - the industry will be better served if sponsored riders acknowledge their allegiances when posting. Mike Vincz discloses his affiliation with LF and they make a great product - best seller in the industry. I would strongly suggest using him as a role model.
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-12-2014, 5:53 AM Reply   
Cablerider1, I think you are the only person who cares if someone is sponsored be it regional or pro on here. No one has said anything when asking for board recommendations, that they do or do not want pro riders responses or opinions or had a fit when someone didn't "disclose" this information. And yet your still here whining about O'brien paying for advertisements and all this crap..... really no one cares. And funny thing is .... there is a BIG "O'Brien " ad right at the top of this page. So keep following the forum for a few more years and maybe you will notice it.... And realize all myself or JB have done is give an opinion as to product we ride and support. It is readers discretion as to what opinion fits and makes most sense.... so leave it up the the reader asking for advice and stop giving yours unless its a board recommendation.

Mike V