Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Greg135)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-02-2014, 12:52 PM Reply   
I am in the market to buy an all purpose used boat for family and I have been considering Centurions. I am looking to spend in the range of $45K. Kids are young and mostly tube and starting to kneeboard and I think will want to wakeboard in a few years. I was think of the Centurion Elite V, but saw an 2008 Enzo SV230 for a pretty good price. I like the idea of a bigger boat, but don't want to get something that doesn't function for what I need. any other boats I should consider for this price point?
Thanks for any and all help.
Greg
Old     (BaadLS1)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-02-2014, 1:38 PM Reply   
I just went through this exact same exercise for the past several months. I have been a slalom skier and intermediate wake boarder for the past 10+ years and was looking for something with more storage, functionality and a bit better fit and finish from our current direct drive. I also wanted something that made me feel like I wasn't drive a yellow submarine either. From a capability, value and reliability perspective, I could not deviate from the Sanger v215 (and I tried to several times due to lack of local dealer support), albeit tough to find unless you are on the west coast (easily in your price range from 2008-2012). I would say that if you wanted a bit more room and are willing to sacrifice some 3 event crossover characteristics, a used 2008 or so Malibu VLX or Tige RZ/Z would be my next choice without stepping up another 10k or requiring a newer model year. The boats that may also be worth considering from the same years/price points are Supra or Nautique (a stretch), but I was requiring newer and more crossover characteristics than what either provided. I am not specifying models since you didn't mention size but by you mentioning "all purpose" I would take that as 21-23ft. Based on my reasearch, the consensus seems to be that centurion seems to fall a little lower on fit and finish and appears to be more of a one trick pony (wake surf) boat. It would not and was not on my list of boats to consider.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2014, 2:08 PM Reply   
Centurion makes a great boat. The have top end construction and some of the best gelcoat lines out there. Their molds and reverse shoebox construction are really high quality. The glass has a real refined look. Their vinyl is not the best and the interior still uses a lot of plastic to save on costs. The performance and quality is there though. They are built like tanks. The SV230 would be a great family style boat as a do all. Not the best at wakeboarding, or skiing , but surfs exceptionally. It handles rough water and people pretty well.

At that price point you're pretty much wide open. You can be in an 07-08ish Nautique 210 or MC x15 in tgat price range

A little newer Sanger or Supreme

A Tige 22V is also great family boat.

That SV230 tho will be the most bang for you buck size wise. You be able to find a Malibu LSV in that range but again the SV230 will be the biggest boat in the price category
Old     (onetogofast)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-02-2014, 2:44 PM Reply   
Look at the MB F21 Tomcats, I love mine. I have done some boat shopping in between buying my 2012 and last weekend and for the quality and fit/finish I will buy another MB when the day comes!!!
Old     (SESanger)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-02-2014, 3:09 PM Reply   
Take a look at a Sanger V215 or V237. These boats are well built, handle incredible, have surprisingly deep cockpits and are arguably the most unknown cross-over boat out there. I have taken my last 215 into 32' off in the ski course, barefoot behind it, wakeboard, surf, disc, trick ski; you name it, it does it well. Great all around boat.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-02-2014, 4:09 PM Reply   
I have an 05 Enzo sv230 and absolutely love it. When I was in the market a few years ago I knew very little about inboards other than I wanted to wakeboard and surf some and I loved the layout of v-drives. I feel I got lucky with my Enzo. I blew my knee out so all i do is surf now. My kids tube and I have gotten them up on wakeboards and surf boards. It has tons of storage. I have 6 surfboards and one wakeboard in the clam shell seat, two tubes in the starboard rear locker plus all the vests. The only thing I have to pull out is the kids wakeboard in the port locker to fill and surf. I live on lake Erie and it can get huge.the other day it went from mostly flat to 5-6 footers in 30min. The deep v handles the rough water great. Although I still would not have chosen to be out in those conditions.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-02-2014, 5:24 PM Reply   
You are a in a great, although tough situation due to so many choices. I see you are in cali which is great because you have a lot of inventory to choose from and unlike the east coast still have great options with the cali builders (sanger, centurion, supreme, calabria, mb).

I see you mention nothing about skiing so I am going to go ahead and assume that not having a good ski wake is not a deciding factor. Also, based on your post I am guessing you and your family are beginner and having a pro level wakeboard or surf wake isn't really necessary at this point. Because of that just about any boat will do. Pretty much every newer (07-current) boat can throw a great beginner wakeboard wake and an ok surf wake with weight (listed).

I think there a couple of other questions that may help narrow down specific models (I don't like the idea of narrowing to certain brands because of generalizations that people think goes across all models although with certain boats characteristics are shared across their entire line).

Do you have any size/weight restrictions on the boat whether it be a limit by your waterway, your lift, your tow vehicle, your garage, etc....

How many people do you think you will want to have comfortable seating for?

How important is having a clean low speed wakeboard wake for beginners? Some boats have the ability to run down into the 16-17 mph range and still have a clean wake, others need to run up higher in the 20+ range. Generally speaking deeper V (to the transom) boats have a harder time making a clean low speed wake than those that have a flatter hull towards the transom. That brings me to the next question.

How important is having a good rough water ride? Deeper V boats generally have a better rough water ride than a flatter hull.
Old     (rznhales)      Join Date: May 2012       09-02-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
We just went from a Malibu VLX to an Enzo and love it. Love the snap out carpet, love the deep v hull, love the bigger space, vinyl and fit may be less than on newer boats but we're talking a 6-7 yr old boat and I don't notice any real difference. I will agree with the above statements that it's not the greatest wakeboard boat but I'm not the greatest rider either. I like to surf, pull the kids on tubes/knee boards and have a smooth ride that doesn't knock your teeth out. One of our main reasons besides the smoother ride was our local dealer. Ask around and see which dealer has the best customer service that close to you and see what brands they support or carry. It's really nice to have a great dealer if you're not a DIY kinda guy.
Old     (Greg135)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-03-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input folks. I will definitely add these models mentioned above to my research list. To answer a few questions:
1) We would definitely want something in the 21-23 foot range, lots of kids and a few adults at any given time will be going out on the boat. Seating for 10 preferred
2) skiing is not so important. kneeboarding, wakeboarding, and tubing are the priorities right now and probably for the next 3 to 5 years. We are definitely in the category of beginner wakeboarders, so pro level is not a must. But I was thinking I would like to hold on to the boat for 8 to 10 years.
3) we have a house on a lake with lifts (7,500 capacity), on a busy day, lots of chop, and I would like the option of taking the boat to Lake Tahoe which does get afternoon waves of 2-4 feet. So I am thinking a bigger (heavier) boat will do better on that lake.
4) I found a couple of local dealers in the Sacramento, CA area that seem pretty good. I also found an '08 Enzo SV230 for sale with 39 hours in Madera from Oliver 41 Marine. this dealer sold the boat originally and has performed the service. Looks like a nice boat http://www.oliversmarine.com/08ENZO.html. maybe a hair high on the price.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-04-2014, 6:26 AM Reply   
you need to check out shawndoggy's boat that is in the classifieds. Completely sick setup, deeper V, tons of room, newer boat and listed at 47k is pretty close to your budget.

http://www.wakeworld.com/classifield....php?view=4178
http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/4588395772.html