Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (omega_supreme)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-12-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
I am looking to but a boat this month, i am looking to spend at the most 18000. I am boat dumb. what is direct drive, v-drive, .. what are the different types of drives, which ones are the best? Looking to primarily wakeboard behind it. Thank you for the help.
Old     (bmoan)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-12-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Direct drive is where the motor is located in the middle of the boat. A V-drive the motor is in the back of the boat. A V- drive is better for wakeboarding because it puts more weight in the rear of the boat.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-12-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Well a direct drive has engine in the middle and V drive engine is in back. Both direct and V drives are inboard boats. Other types are outboard(fishing boat syle) and inboard outboard where you still have the stern in the back. Inboards prop doesnt turn your boat the rudder does. Hope this makes sense.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-12-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
V-drive = engine in the rear.
Direct drive = engine located towards the center of the boat.

V-drive give you more walk around space and allows you to put fatsacs on each side of the engine in the compartments. V-drive is generally better for wakeboarding.
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-12-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Didn't mean to say it all again. I guess we typed it out at the same time.
Old     (omega_supreme)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-12-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Hmm.. v-drive,, i guess when you think about it, it makes sense. Thanks for the schooling!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-12-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
It is going to be really hard to find a good v-drive for 18k. If I were you I would look for Mastercraft 205 or a Sport Nautique. Both are capable of producing a very nice wakeboard wake and both are extremely well built boats. You won't lose much on resale on either of these boats.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-12-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
If you are looking to spend 18,000. Dont look past direct drive boats. Some older DD boats have the same hull as v-drive wake boats. They will not be as convienent to weight but you should be able to get the same wake out of them. Supra Launch, Sport Nautique, DD Wakesetters, Mastercraft 205 are all direct drive boats that will produce great wakes and should be in your price range.

It is going to be very difficult to find a v-drive under 18k.
Old     (bp22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-12-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
Good article.

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=593
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-12-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/277047430.html

Here is a perfect entry level wakeboat. And at only 16K.

(Message edited by wake upppp on February 12, 2007)
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-12-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
That is an EXCELLENT entry level wakeboard boat...especially since I am the one selling it!

18K for a good V-Drive is possible but may be tough since most out there are newer models. Now, I am selling because I just bought a new V-Drive for the space, among other features, but I went originally starting out with the D-Drive because I was able to get more boat and options for my buck. For 18K you will most likely be ably to get a much nicer make, model, and condition in a D-Drive vs. a V-Drive, primarily since there is a greater supply of earlier models out there.

Everyone has their favorites, but take a serious look at the Sanger line. I bought the 99 above with the intent of it being a starter boat and was planning to "upgrade" to a Mastercraft in a few years once I could afford it. Well, I kept it for seven years and once I finally decided to buy another boat, I went with another Sanger.

Shawn
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-13-2007, 5:59 AM Reply   
get yourself a quality DD. throw a little weight in it and go have fun. Shawn's boat would be a great starter. I guess Vdrives are better at the end of the day, but there are thousands and thousands of good wakeboats with direct drive setup, including mine.

A couple of models that may be available:
MC Prostar 205 - same hull as X1, old X2, older x-star
Malibu sunsetter - same hull as wakesetter, previous VLX models (i think, someone clarify me if not)
Sanger DLX - like Shawn's
Correct Craft 2001 - you're well above the budget for this boat, but it should be mentioned. One of the most popular DD older models is the Nautique 2001. produced from 82-89, this hull throws and exceptional wake when weighted. You could pick one up for 10-13K depending on hours, condition, etc. You can afford newer boats, but it certainly wouldn't be a bad starting point.

welcome, enjoy
Old     (desertcajun)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-13-2007, 1:40 PM Reply   
You are close to the description on v drive and direct drive. But what you are forgetting is the name direct and v. They refer to the engine position not placement.ON a v drive boat the motor is toward the back of the boat yes, but on a v drive the engine faces the rear of the boat. Which means the shaft comes out toward the front of the boat. so you need a knuckle in the shaft to create a V to get your shaft facing the rear of the boat. On a direct drive the engine faces the front of the boat. So the drive shaft extends straight out toward the back without having to create a V. Hence, DIRECT DRIVE.
Old     (desertcajun)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-13-2007, 1:51 PM Reply   
I agree nacho. I am running the new 247 rx by malibu and with all the hard tank ballast it doesn't seem like engine placement seems to be an issue. Especially with the power wedge.

Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-14-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
i thought V was for vector