Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (c_rundell)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-14-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
I've been looking into buying a new boat lately and finally found one relatively close to me. It's an 03 Supra Launch direct drive with 163 hours. It has wake plate, PP, tower speakers, front and rear ballast, sub, etc.

What's everyone's input on this boat?? What kind of wake is it going to put out? and is this a good deal??

Heres where i found it http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-Supra-Lunch-LTS-SK-Ski-Weakeboard-FullyLoaded-LikeNu_W0QQitemZ270087469405QQihZ017QQcategoryZ636 86QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Upload

Upload
Old     (c_rundell)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-14-2007, 5:44 PM Reply   
Here are some pictures of the interior

Upload

Upload
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-14-2007, 5:48 PM Reply   
Looks like it's in good shape, if you're really looking for wakeboard boat I'd go for a v-drive. Here's a 02 Launch SSV for the same price.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=552311

Check out onlyinboards.com for a ton of listings.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-14-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
beauty.. looks like my old one. i know a guy that just sold his locally with more hrs for over 30k. drive it and see what you think.. it will definitely throw a wake. i had an 03 launch. great boat
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-14-2007, 7:40 PM Reply   
That seems like a decent deal. Check my profile. I got my '04 22SSV w/ 190hrs in awesome shape for $35k. Check my profile pic. I love it. Like Pete says, if you are primarily interested in wakeboarding, you should get a v-drive fo sho.
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-14-2007, 9:33 PM Reply   
This boat looks to be in good condition and well maintained. You will have to check all the running gear, electronics, etc. and let us know. This boat was one of SCs original hull designs for wakeboarding. This boat was a leader in wake shape and size for a direct drive. If it doesn’t have additional ballast you will end up adding some. While it has a great wake it won't be at the same level today’s new V-drives deliver. I have owned two Supras, one like this one and a V-Drive. Both are great. I loved my direct drive for handling, versatility and overall performance. I love my V-drive for many of the same qualities, however the wake it delivers and the open seating area are much better for my family needs and likes. SC builds a quality boat, as do most builders today. I am sure you will have many great times on the water.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-15-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
That boat throws hands down one of the best wakes ever from a direct drive boat. It's what made me want to buy my SSV. The wake is just as good as it's 21 and 22 ft. vdrive counterparts when weighted correctly. If you don't mind the direct drive layout with sacks all over the floor, the wake is every bit as good or better than a lot of vdrives out there today.

Edit: The price seems a bit high though. Like others have mentioned, you could add a couple grand and get an SSV in the same condition.

(Message edited by stanfield on February 15, 2007)
Old     (c_rundell)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-15-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
So stanfield, what would be the correct way to weight this boat??
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-15-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
Stock ballast plus ~500 in the nose, ~500 in the rear locker (might need to reinforce the locker), and another ~500 behind the motor.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-15-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
we ran stock ballast and 450 on either side of the engine and it was good, but i like stanfields set up....
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-15-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
I would look at www.onlyinboards.com there were a ton of boats for sale up near Dallas Area. I would definately suggest VDrive you will never regret it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-15-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
I have a couple points. Everyone is pushing you towards a V-Drive. Unless I am missing something you did not specifically say what you wanted it for. Yes I prefer a V-drive, but we don't ski. People that ski will prefer the direct drive probably so give more details on what all you want to use it for before you listen to everyone. Also, I see that in the title that says it is a Launch LTS? Looks like a regular launch, but if it really is an LTS than we all need to disregard some of the earlier comments. Totally differnt hull. The LTS is more of a ski boat that you can produce an average size wake out of.
Hope this helps...
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-15-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
Charlie - Stanfield is right about the wake in the DD Launch. No DD is better. Here is how to pro weight that boat.
1x650 bag in basement
1x350 tube sac on floor between rear seat & engine
1x400 factory hard tank
1x350 tube sac in rear locker
Strongly recommend reprop for better hole shot and fuel economy. Sorry I dont remember what prop size you need.
Old     (c_rundell)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-15-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
the boat is going to used for wakeboarding, so a good ski wake is not important.
Old     (c_rundell)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-15-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
so, what is the difference between the regular Launch hull and the LTS hull?
Old     (romoboco)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-15-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
The boat shown in the pictures is a Launch, "The Grandfather" of wakeboard boats. You can tell from the depth of the freeboard, the hull configuration, the playpin bow area, the configuration of the dash and coaming pads. It will provide a great wakeboard boat with the correct weighting. The LTS was designed primarly as a ski boat with shallower deadrise, walk-thru bow area, shallower freeboard. I was 19'11" to stay under the 20' limit on some private lakes.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-15-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
Agreed, that pic is not an LTS. That is a Standard Launch. By the way I thing the gel coat pattern on the pic is great. Looks real sharp
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-15-2007, 9:09 PM Reply   
Chris is right on.
Old     (hookedonboardin)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-16-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
I will third that this boat in the pic is a regular launch from what I can see...The Lts has a little less freeboard and isn't so deep....Also most LTS are stamped and the engine cover can be easily seen from the side profile because the walls are shorter.

In a just boarding scenario I would steer you away from a LAunch LTS, But the rugular lkaunch will thow up some advanced wakes for sure. It has been regarded/argued as "the best " direct drive wakeboat. The best thing going for it besides the wake is the interior. The thing is humongous and has just almost as much room and storage as a V-Drive. ALso it has a deeper v-hull than most d-drives and ride very well. The high gunwales will keep you dry and your family feelin safe. Like I said a great all around boat for sure. Can't go wrong.....The only thing is because they are so great is they are priced a little high for direct drives in my opinion......for another 2-3 k you can be in a v-drive which I would prefere. REally only downfall that I can come up with to really check out would be that tower. It has been known and experienced to rattle like crazy and just not be so solid.