Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Anim8or)      Join Date: Feb 2012       07-14-2014, 5:33 PM Reply   
I live in Los Angeles and usually go wakeboarding pretty far north at Pyramid Lake (or at Castaic sometimes). Recently I found out about Marine Stadium in Long Beach. Has anyone on this board been there before? Is it like Canyon Lake where you need to own a house there or something or is it just a normal public launch ramp?

Also....I've never taken a boat I've owned onto salt water before. I've always avoided it since more maintenance & care is required, but in this case I'm sorely tempted since Marine Stadium is fairly close to where i live and the water looks pretty decent. I assume its necessary afterwards to wash the hull and trailer thoroughly and flush the engine, right?

Is it worth the trouble? Or do you think I'm better of just going to Pyramid? I've got a 1999 Tige boat with a ballast system if that matters.
Old     (MBBoss210)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-14-2014, 11:05 PM Reply   
If you don't have one already, you'll probably want to switch to a galvanized trailer if this is to be your home base for boating.

I'd also be sure to wash down the boat thoroughly inside and out to avoid as much as possible for any corrosion. Be sure to hook up the hose to your boat at home afterwards and run through some fresh water to flush out the motor. If you can do that on a consistent basis after each outing, I think you should be OK.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-15-2014, 4:54 AM Reply   
I havent been there in years Mike.. But it is always chopped and not the best riding conditions... Once a one or two more boats show up and run counterclockwise, is not toogood... I'd go check it our first.. You can't get on canyon lake unless you own. I'd take Elsinore over marine stadium..
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       07-15-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
If you go on a weekday, you'll most likely be the only boat out. Also, in the winter, you'll never get better glass in your life.
Old     (Ansorge10)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-15-2014, 10:52 AM Reply   
I live like 15 minutes away and I ride there all the time. I would say the best time to get there is right at 8 but don't launch at the marine stadium launch ramp cause they never open it until later. I always launch at the 2nd street launch ramp. It's just down the marina and is open 24hrs a day. But yeah you can't ski in there until after 8 because a lot of rowers use and they have until 8 to practice in there. And always call before to make sure it's open... Sometimes they have rowing regattas in there or someone will rent it out for the day just call before you head down to make sure it's open. And even with 2 or 3 boats in there it is good, you just need to talk with the people and get a rotation going, like when I go we always talk to whoever is down there and do 3 laps or 3 falls whichever everyone decides on that day.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-15-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
Marine stadium is unique for sure. I've had a bunch of amazing sessions there and some not so amazing ones. Mid week and early is the time to hit it. Weekends suck balls.....tons of yahoos and quite dangerous at times.
Dealing with the salt is also a pain.
Old     (Ansorge10)      Join Date: Oct 2013       07-15-2014, 8:49 PM Reply   
I'm actually going tomorrow