Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-21-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
I would think that in the state of our current economy that people in industries hit hard, like the boating industry, would try a little harder to make an easy sale. Apparently this isn't the case.

I was in need of a Gravity Games center sac. I realize this isn't a huge sale to a boat dealer, but $330 is $330, especially when times are tough. In the past I have ordered things like this on line. This time around I thought I'd show some love to my local dealer and buy it from them, even if they were a few $$$ more.

I call my dealer and ask if they have one in stock. One of the owners answers and tells me that his parts guy is at lunch and suggests I call back in an hour. I was a bit surprised that he wouldn't just find someone to take my call or check stock himself? Never the less, about an hour and a half later I was out running some errands and decided I would just stop in. The only person I can find is the other owner. I ask him to help me and he then proceeds to scan the parking lot and then tells me that he doesn't see the parts manager's truck out there. I then ask him if he can check stock. He does, but he doesn’t know what he's looking for. He asks me if I will go back there with him to see if I can find it. I do, but I cannot find one in their stock room.

He then calls the parts manager on his cell to ask him if he knows if he has one; he does not. The owner hands me the parts manager's card and tells me to call him back in an hour. Keep in mind it's now been 2 hours since I called the first time. Who takes a 3 hour lunch on a Saturday anyway? After all this I decided that this place obviously must not be hurting for business, so I decided to spend my money at wakemakers.com. I may have to wait a week for shipping, but at least they seem to have a clue. Perhaps they were just a little short handed, but I would think that these days every sale counts. Why would you let anyone walk out your door empty handed when there’s a dozen other places they can buy from?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-21-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
^^ Not to mention if he's an owner he should know what's going on in his shop. If he is also in to the wake industry he should also know what a fat sac looks like.

The first year I had my boat ( not Mastercraft) and my impeller went the local Mastercraft dealer charged me $ 90.00 for a new one. I had never bought one before to know how much they are and had no choice as we were going out that day. I now order 2-3 impellers at a time online for $ 25-30.00 each. Needless to say I don't have any desire to support him.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-21-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
So the Supra Dealer is Lake Dallas.....WSBD.

Next time you should just go over to Waterski America. It's a barefoot international sack - any dealer can get one
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-21-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
A lot of inboard shops which are farily small do not cross train, but delegate the responsibilities and the owner tried got hold of the parts dealer and let you scan the inventory. Sounds to me the owner was doing his bloody best to get you the info when you were there and yeah you may have been disappointed he didn't know his inventory but I'm not so sure that falls into the category of terrible customer service The thing that seemed lacking on the customer service side is that they asked you to call back instead of taking your number and having the courtesy of calling you.
Old    mojo            02-21-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
how about a computerized inventory. pretty simple to type in "gravity games sac"
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-21-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
rich maybe they are too busy with the big stuff , prepping boat show purchased boats etc, it is not a surprise though once you drive off you are not a priority anymore.It is like that at car lots as well, they are like sharks in blodd infested waters while you are looking to buy but after purchase they move to the next kill ..they want to move units more then keep old customers happy.

too bad fro daddy left there, he was the true core boarder managing all that and it was smoother when he was there.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-21-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
You want poor customer service? When I was looking to purchase my first boat, back in 02, I went to the boat show. I was 25 at the time, so pretty young for a brand new wakeboard boat purchase. I was looking at the tige booth, and asked the rep for some info, before he answered my question, he asked how old I was. When I told him, he didn't have time for, and just brushed me off. So I went to the malibu booth and ended up with a vlx. I so wanted to rub it in the dudes face that he lost a sale. In retrospect, maybe that was the best thing the rep could have done for me.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-22-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
I hate stores that shut down departments during normal buisness hours. I applaud you for the second attempt . After three I would be gone too. This is why the dealers loose so much buisness to on line stores. Higher price,poor service and no knowledge of product is not a good buisness model .
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-22-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
Despite this experience I will still give this dealer another chance. They have been very accomodating over the last 6 years, although much more so when McFly was still there; he always took care of me. Don't get me wrong, the owners are really nice people. My intent with posting this experience really wasn't to slam them, it was more so to let them, as well as other dealer/business owners, see things from a customer's perspective.

Times are tough for small business owners and you just can't turn away someone who is wanting to spend money in your store, especially not when they try twice within 2 hours to do so.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-22-2011, 7:55 PM Reply   
I just got quoted 46 dollars for a green balast pump impeller. I called the dealer first but I just cant pay 46 plus tax for a part that is commonly found on line for 23-25 dollars.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-23-2011, 5:48 AM Reply   
I went to my local store to demo some new skis. The first one was on a mid week day. I took it the next day and brought it back that night, all went well. I went back the following week to demo another one and it was Friday. I was planning on having it back sat afternoon. The very young sales person told me I would have to pay for Sunday also. I asked why when I will be returning it Saturday afternoon. I was told all demos that go out on the weekends are 2 day demos and therefore I have to pay for the whole weekend even if I return it Saturday. The young mans reasoning or it the store policy was this: If they send me out this ski or board on Friday and some one comes in Saturday morning and wants it for the weekend they wont be able to take because I will have it. To this day I still don't understand that logic. I sent multiple emails to the store which have fallen on deaf ears.
I also broke a ski handle that had been purchased earlier that summer. Trying to get it replaced was nothing short of impossible. It was sent back to manufacturing and warranted in the form of store credit, but it had to be from the same manufacturer. I did not want the same handle that I just broke but I could not use anything else in the store. Hmmmm??? I finally settled on getting a new rope.

Anyways since that incident last year I have purchased two new skis with bindings not from that store. I also go out of my way to stay away. I probably spend about $1500 on supplies and equipment not huge amount but not at the store anymore also.

Maybe a simple reply to on of emails from the mgr or better explanation would have helped or how about treating each situation and customer as a guest. I think customer service is a lost art.

Did I over react ? I have always tried to support my local shops but with service going down and prices going up Its hard to just order online and save a lot of money.

Last edited by konaking; 02-23-2011 at 5:51 AM.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-23-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
If Wakemakers can sell me a green replacement impeller for 25 plus shipping why does the dealer charge 46 ? Overcharges like this makes it less likely I would even give them a chance next time.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-23-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
Wakemakers Rock!!! cut the middle man out and order your stuff from them. I ordered ballast parts on a tues. morning and recieved my product wed. at 4pm. Free shipping!! yes I will buy all my product from them from now on. I could have got my stuff so fast because they are in Ore. and I'm in Wash.,. but still they are alot of peoples first choice in ballast system parts. You know they also can build you a custom sac built to your measurments.
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
Richard, I have had the same type experiance with WSBD as you. I went in one afternoon, a Thursday I think, walk around the the sales floor for 5 minutes with the two owners sitting in their offices, they never came out to ask if I needed any help or even acknowleged that I was in the store. I left, called them and let them know how displeased I was with the lack of service, their excuse was that they were short handed that day, how can you be short handed when there are two people standing in the office doing nothing and I'm the only person in the shop?
Other experiance with the parts guy is that he is not the shrpest tack ,I have called before told him what I needed went in to purchase and not only did the price go up by 20% but now they suddely dont stock the part (impeller). The price change has happened more than once, I've even had to take the parts guy in the back before and show him what part I am taking about.
Consider yourself lucky, when they order parts you have to stay on them and call the supplier or skiers choice to find out when parts were shipped.
Old     (sasky_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-25-2011, 7:39 AM Reply   
Dave.... i had the same thing happen to me when i went to look at boats when i was younger. I was looking for a i/o and went to the local dealer (whom my parents know very well) he basically brushed me off and the more questions I had the less interested he was. So i drove to Saskatoon and purchased a boat from a dealer there.... i was glad i did to, i got more boat for less money. The best part is my folks have a cabin at the same lake as the guy and the next weekend he saw me out with my new boat..... guess he figured out I was serious!! i was sure to give the horn a toot and give him a wave going by!! lol