Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2010, 2:59 PM Reply   
Has anyone used a front bumper receiver hitch to push their boat into a parking spot? I am looking at a new house that the drive has a slight elevation change, about 6' over a 25' run, and a couple of bends in it. How well does it work and does anyone make a wiring harness to plug into the front so I can get the brakes to release?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-04-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
My neighbor at the lake has one and wonders why he didn't get one in the 60's. His is on the chassis behind the bumper of his Dodge. He'll move a boat a quarter mile without a thought. You could wire a dash switch to cut out the brakes on a 5 pin plug.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-04-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
I put one on all my tow vehicles...greatest thing since the front opening bra.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-04-2010, 4:19 PM Reply   
Easy to wire up a front harness to just release brakes. Get a car side (mostly female) 5 flat plug, ground the ground wire (the one that has an exposed contact on the gar side plug), and hook the blue wire to 12v (battery. If you want the running lights on (basically to help light up the area you are driving into), hook all the wires besides the ground to 12v. This will keep the lights on whenever its plugged in. If you want it on with the ign, you need to find a 12v ign source.
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-05-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
We used a front bumper hitch at the marina to move boats around. Worked great! Most fun I ever had making $3.75 an hour.

If you don't want to wire up the front end of your rig, there should be a little metal piece that came with your trailer to lock out the breaks. It keeps the slide from activating the breaks.

What kind of trailer do ya have?
Old     (dfred)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-05-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Thanks guys...the trailer is a boatmate that has a solinoid that releases the breaks, I dont have the ablility to put a shim in the slide like the Mastercraft trailer did.
Now if i can only get over the odd spot they put the pool in...right off the drive, I guess the good thing would be if I miss the driveway at least the boat will float in the pool.