Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2008, 7:09 AM Reply   
So my B-day is coming up soon and my girl wants to get me some lessons (just for wakeboarding nothing else). What good day camps or lessons are around NC I live in High Point which is pretty much the center of the state so I'm willing to drive a couple hour if I need to. I really want to get my moneys worth and not have an instructor that just tells to out there and keep throwing it with out any kind of break down of what I'm doing wrong.
Old     (astonestreet)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-20-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
I hear Austin Stonestreet puts on some good day clincs. Im sure if you mention you are from high point he will cut you a break. I hear hes from HP too! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Don't you have some work you need to do!!!!!!!!!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-20-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-20-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
Adam Fields is on Lake Gaston. http://www.adamswakeboardschool.com/
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-20-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
You beat me to it Gerald....How have things been going for ya up in DC? Didn't see you at the lake this past summer.

-Nate
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-21-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
Good. Recoving from a touch football injury that kept me off the snowboard all winter. I should really leave out the 'touch' part and just say football when telling this story...

I had a busy summer last year and wasn't down quite as much. We don't leave Jimmie's Creek too often either.

sorry to steal your thread Blair.
Old     (brooke_m)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-23-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
We looked into Lake Gaston, and it looks pretty good, but does anyone have any other suggestions just so we can have some options?
Old    benj_t            03-23-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
http://www.goboardgo.com/gbgweb2007_002.htm
Old     (trd)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-27-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
I agree w/ Benj. Goboardgo is a good school. Coble water ski school is another and it is local. They teach move then just skiing also.
www.cobleskischool.com
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-27-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
I've been to Coble twice and Adam's place once and I can give you quick breakdown of those 2:

Coble:
Pros:
- Private lakes. There are 5 or 6 private lakes, each only has a single boat for the day. They are very well shielded from the wind, so its practically butter there all day, every day.
- Organized (if you find that a 'pro'). You will get 4 15-minute sets, 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.
- Many options. If you want to try barefoot, you can do that in the morning, then shift to wakeboard in the afternoon. Or maybe you want to try ski jumping. They have a regulation ramp & a 'bump' ramp.
- Reasonably priced.

Cons:
- Wakeboard instruction is hit-or-miss. The 2 times I went, I was lucky in that there were really good instructors, once worked w/ Adam Fields (Fabian Ashley) and a few were from Australia/New Zealand. However, I know that there are lulls as they rotate in & out. Waterski instruction, however, is top notch.
- You sit in the shore when its not your turn. Unless being ballast while on of the pros ride, your time on the water is when you are riding.
- No 'night life'. There is no drinking allowed on the school grounds. There is also pretty much nothing going on in the nearby town.

Adam's Place:
Pros:
- Guaranteed great instructor. No it-or-miss as you know who you are getting when you sign up. I learned so much in the 3 half-day session we had, not only about my riding, but about how to help my daughters.
- Your own boat option (this is what I did). We spent the week @ Gaston. Adam came on our boat for 1/2 a day and taught both my daughters (ages 7 & 10), me, AND helped my wife better understand how to drive the boat.
- If you go on his boat, when you're not riding, you are in the boat. Unlike Coble, and if you are smart, you get to benefit from the other rider's instruction as well.
- Rails. If you want to learn them, he has them setup right in front of his place. Coble has them, but for insurance purposes, I think only the instructors are allowed to hit them.

Cons:
- Lake can get rough at times. Unlike Coble, you're on a single big lake. Sure, there are coves you can go to, but where do you think everyone else is going to go? Most likely, the same coves.
- Can get expensive depending on options.

Hope this helps.
Old     (trd)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-28-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
awesome write up Dan. My wife and I are wanting to take our son to a school for wakeboard/skiing. Very helpful.
Thanks
Dale
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-30-2008, 5:53 AM Reply   
Dan hit Coble on the head. My son and I however hit one of the bad weeks. Total ripoff. Food was a joke and no night life or any life is an understatement. Not sure about the waterskiing part. We went to wakeboard and were highly disappointed. Expressed my concerns to them, which fell on deaf ears. You won't know who's there until you show up. The expert lake of wakeboarding is pretty sweet however.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-30-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
I also forgot to mention that my daughter and I went to Coble in '05 and '06. We went to Adam's place in '07 (on Fabian's recommendation), and will be returning there again in '08.

Honestly, my "cons" for Adam's place I really had to think hard about. If you are looking to get your money's worth for wakeboarding instruction, hands down, that's the place to go in NC.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-31-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
Thanks for the write up Dan it was very useful