Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-01-2014, 6:47 AM Reply   
Ok so I'm in the market for a starter boat. 8k is my limit. I know my options are limited to late 80s early 90s direct drives and I am ok with that. I want an open bow with a tower but that's a lot to ask for with my budget but they exist. I'll take an open bow without a tower but I'm not interested in a closed bow unless it has a tower. With that said I have been looking at Tiges malibus sangers moombas correct crafts master crafts. But I'm new to this world and don't want to miss looking at all of them. Are their any other quality brands I should keep an eye out for? Thanks in advance
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-01-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
Late 80s ski nautique 2001- should be able to find one with tower for 8k
Early 90s sport nautique- finding one with tower for 8k might be tough
Early 90s malibu sunsetter
Early 90s supra sunsport
Early 90s sanger

That should be a good start
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-01-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
Important advice: For just 5K more, you should be able to get a boat without any wood. Supra was the first boat to get got rid of wood stringers and floors in 1992 in most but not all models. You will find a ton of non wood open bow boats in the 13K range most will also have fuel injection in stead of carb. Don't worry about the tower if it doesn't have one. You can buy a Monster Tower for $800

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 01-01-2014 at 8:34 AM. Reason: addition
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-01-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
The supra sunsport would be my first choice for an open bow in that price range.

If you can live with a closed bow I'd stick to the nautique 2001. With an 8k budget you can have money left over for a tower and gas. The 2001 wake is hard to beat for the money and the ford motors never die.

http://monterey.craigslist.org/boa/4265821966.html
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-01-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
http://monterey.craigslist.org/boa/4259381267.html

Nice looking supra
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-01-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
good deal on that supra if it runs good.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-01-2014, 1:36 PM Reply   
well, I found 4 boats Im considering
1. 97 tige` DD pre2002 WT, 800 hours open bow with tower for 8k
2. 91 Malibu Euro F3 open bow 650 hours no tower for 7.5k
3. is a 94 moomba closed bow with tower hours not listed for 7k
4. is a 89 Mastercraft 190 tristar open bow, no tower hours not listed for 6.5k

I really want an open bow, just cause we like to go boating with a lot of friends like 7-8 people and my buddies pontoon is out of commission right now so an open bow is just more preferable to me. unless i find a close bow for a good price. I have friends looking at the Tige` this weekend for me as its a drive and I luckily have retired neighbors who are vacationing near it. Is there anything I should have them look for on the Tige` while they are there?
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-01-2014, 1:47 PM Reply   
Im really looking for somthing that is in good used condition, no projects. I want a good runner. with good interior. Needs to be within a day drive for me. Im hoping this Tige` isnt hiding anything but he says its professionally maintained with service records and runs good. I am crossing my fingers but if not the malibu is cheaper and closer...
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-01-2014, 3:34 PM Reply   
Wake wise, i would rate the tige 1st and then malibu 2nd. The others arnt very good.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-01-2014, 4:57 PM Reply   
I've seen bayliner or wake challengers for that price. Vdrive, tower, open bow. No perfect pass though but you can buy that later. My coworker had one before upgrading to a bu, it put out a good wake and was decent boat to be honest.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-01-2014, 7:11 PM Reply   
Chris, you may be correct on the Supra getting rid of wood in the 1992 or 1993 but they certainly weren't the first. Mastercraft was in mid 1983, Nautique in 1990 and Malibu about the same time as Supra.

Mike, sounds like you have a plan but in my opinion the logic is slightly flawed. Why eliminate an otherwise perfect boat because it doesn't have something that can easily be added after the fact. There are lots of great 2001 Nautiques(1982-1989) and other closed bow boats that might not have a tower but to eliminate them because they don't have a tower doesn't make any sense.

Of the list you made I would immediatly drop the moomba. It is a tiny and possibly the shallowest inboard available. I would also drop the Tige. Super flat hull and the bow is dangerously close to the water if you want to weight it. The Malibu would be a great option but check the floors and stringers as I am pretty sure they are wood.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-01-2014, 8:56 PM Reply   
I am not against a closed bow but I much prefer an open. So to get me to lean towards one it would have to be rather appealing to me one way or another whether it be price, options/accessories, quality etc. I don't intend on weighting down the boat. If i need to I'll bring some of my uncles. LOL I don't intend on just using it for wake boarding, but all kinds of boating. If the Tige doesn't work out I am really considering the Malibu.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-02-2014, 1:25 AM Reply   
Unless you are a mechanic, enjoy projects and have lots of spare time to keep it running, I would avoid $8k boats. There are a bunch of them out there that folks are having a great time in for sure; however, they do require time and money. Frankly, I would rather give the bank the money each month and have something reliable. Before anyone calls me a $115k G23 snob, my boat is a 1998 that I paid $17k cash for 5 yrs ago. I put $7-8k in upgrades, maintenance and repairs the first 2 yrs. seeing as though a new boat is nowhere in my future (4 kids soon to be in college), I wish I had spent a little more on a newer boat. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have gone for a Malibu response. Those are pretty cheap for the quality you get. They are a little small but I really don't like a ton of people in the boat anyways.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-02-2014, 5:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Chris, you may be correct on the Supra getting rid of wood in the 1992 or 1993 but they certainly weren't the first. Mastercraft was in mid 1983, Nautique in 1990 and Malibu about the same time as Supra.

Mike, sounds like you have a plan but in my opinion the logic is slightly flawed. Why eliminate an otherwise perfect boat because it doesn't have something that can easily be added after the fact. There are lots of great 2001 Nautiques(1982-1989) and other closed bow boats that might not have a tower but to eliminate them because they don't have a tower doesn't make any sense.

Of the list you made I would immediatly drop the moomba. It is a tiny and possibly the shallowest inboard available. I would also drop the Tige. Super flat hull and the bow is dangerously close to the water if you want to weight it. The Malibu would be a great option but check the floors and stringers as I am pretty sure they are wood.
I stand corrected, thanks Bill
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-02-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
Actually, Nautique went wood free in 1993...
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-02-2014, 6:48 AM Reply   
Where are you located? There are lots of good boats out there for under $10k that have everything you want. Here are just a few from CCF. Look at all the other brand specific forums classifieds . I agree that staying away from a wood boat would be a good idea. If you have any mechanical skills at all, those inboard engines are pretty easy to work on so I would not worry about that.

http://correctcraftfan.com/forsale/d...ort=&pagenum=1
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-02-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...nger-102147349

If you're willing to travel or have de!ivered
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       01-02-2014, 8:21 AM Reply   
Personally I'd stay away from the Malibu Euro F3. Those boats are basically lowriders in the water and don't reallyt throw that much of a wake. If you have a decent amount of time and skill behind a boat you will likely be disappointed at the wake it throws, since it's really more designed for slalom guys. Plus if you have some friend that qualify as "plus-sized" you're probably gonna have a hard time keeping the water out of it. Like mentioned before, I'd try to swing an extra couple grand and look at a little bit better boat and I think you'll be happy in the long run. If you dead set on the $8,000 budget, then the MC2001s can't be beat and throw one of the best dollar for dollar wakes in their price range, plus are super simple to maintain since they're aren't exactly in the realm of G23 technology.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-02-2014, 8:41 AM Reply   
Sanger dxll all day for 7 k for a strong running boat and pimp ass 70's graphics
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-02-2014, 9:30 AM Reply   
I was in your position last year, and I'd say you might also look for 94 to 96 Hydrodyne Grand Sports. Open-bows, solid boats, and generally more free-board than others of that vintage short of maybe the Supra Sunsport, so you can add a fair amount of weight without it getting too dicey. Solid engines too (94 has the PCM pro-boss with TBI, 95/96 have the GT-40).

They're a bit harder to find though, but I have seen them down as low as 6k depending on the condition. I picked up a 94 last spring for 9k that included tower/racks/bimini with only a couple minor upholstery issues, and was bullet-proof all summer.

There's this one in texas http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/4229806900.html but it looks like it needs a good cleaning and some upholstery work - it's been for sale for a while. Come spring time, a lot more show up.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-02-2014, 9:47 AM Reply   
that dyne is legit for that price its a steal go get it!!!
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       01-03-2014, 7:46 AM Reply   
Other than that atrocious color combo, that Hydrodyne looks pretty solid. If you want I will be driving through there on my way home on the 16th and can swing by and take a look at it for you.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-03-2014, 8:02 AM Reply   
Just to clarify a few things, MC was the first to go all glass stringers in the late 80s. Buying a used boat is like anything else. If you don't do your homework, yes you will get burned. Get the boat checked out by someone who's knows them, if that isn't you.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-03-2014, 8:16 AM Reply   
Yea, the dyne's weren't known for great color combinations. I was lucky to find one with gray carpet.... There's a few red/white and dark/green white combos I like, but other than that they can be as dated looking as some of the early malibus and centurions.

Here's another (with an even worse color combo) down in Fl. http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/4243914275.html crazy cheap though.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-03-2014, 10:54 AM Reply   
Still its one hell of a boat and HEY I HAVE THAT color combo just the reverse with the purple on the lower and blue on the upper. boat has tower PP new speakers excellent trailer... 10500 if you want it.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       01-03-2014, 11:47 AM Reply   
http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/4262252718.html

Not sure if this has been posted up. 2001 for 5k
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       01-03-2014, 1:32 PM Reply   
a year ago just a few weeks ago we picked up our 1996 MB Sports Boss 210. It has bee a great boat and adding a tower really isn't a hard task, just have to take your time. Plus making it your own is fun and makes you have more of a connection to it.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-03-2014, 1:50 PM Reply   
Those MB 210's were on my list as well, but were hard to find anywhere but the west coast.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-05-2014, 2:29 PM Reply   
Okay well I had friends check out this Tige, http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...2002-WT-372053

they said it fired up right away ran and sounded good, but they said the seats were covered in mildew and it would take alot of scrubbing, and that it looked like it hit some rocks or the dock on the side, and that it had some ****ty fibergglass job and that it should be redone. They said dont buy it for 8k. They tried talking me into an Inboard/outboard. But they are older retired folks and I am ruling them out. I think. on the other hand I am looking at some of these boats, Id appreciate what you guys think.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...port-101800431
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...mp-Ts6m-370683
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...kier-102096929
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...o-F3-102145724
http://www.skierspier.com/pre_owned_...R0&veh=3436495
http://www.skierspier.com/pre_owned_...R0&veh=3299857
http://www.skierspier.com/pre_owned_...R0&veh=3523385
http://www.skierspier.com/pre_owned_...R0&veh=3532663

personally I like the supra in Arlington, and its the closest to me since I am in pa, the BAJA is the 2nd closest to me and I like that too. What do you guys think of those listed? Im back to square one I guess, was really hoping that tige was gona be it but I guess not.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-05-2014, 2:35 PM Reply   
as you can see i've come around on the closed bows. Unfortunately this sanger got sold before I had funds and time to get to it.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...-Sanger-368226
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-05-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
It's going to be a bit above your budget, but I have a 99 centurion elite DD. It's in good shape, has around 300hrs, new stainless cup holders, subs, stereo, taken care of well and always waxed.
It's been my boat for a few years and was my first boat. Around September I upgraded to a vdrive and now I have 2 boats!
I'll throw some pictures up of the centurion. I also added the newer style centurion decals on the side. I don't have pictures.

Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-05-2014, 4:27 PM Reply   
looks sharp but I bet your way over my budget and too far away for me.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-05-2014, 8:29 PM Reply   
Mike i would really try and take the time to look for an open bow, there is just so much room. It will be worth it in the long run. Just keep looking eventually something will pop up.
Yes, the malibu wake is flat when there is only a few people but when the boat is full the wake gets better(1500lbs). Lowrider? I would say they sit just as low as any other ski boat, probably about the same as sport nautique for instance. Sanger on the other hand probably sit the lowest
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-06-2014, 6:55 AM Reply   
Supra Sunsport
Supra Saltare
Correct Craft Sport Nautique

$8k or less you'll mostly be looking at Supra if you want an open bow. I have an '89 Saltare are I'm very happy with it. Personally I don't think composite is all that. They still have foam under the floor and also many composite designs use foam in the stringer cavities, the foam will eventually get wet and hold water. Result is boat potentially sits lower in the water or lists and unless stored in a heated garage it'll freeze and thaw leading to delamination issues which can require pulling the floor, removing wet foam, and doing glass work. I've seen a few composite boats on forums where people have had issues with stringers delaminating and requiring glass work, plenty of issues of stripped out lag holes in composite stringers. Boats with cradles are better about this, particularly if through bolted with a plate on the other side.

So in my mind composite is better, but not mandatory as you're still dealing with a 15-20 year old boat that may have stringer issues or require glass work, pulling the floor, etc. The biggest problem with any boat is wet foam holding water, and poor glass work from the factory (every brand has shoddy work in spots and cut corners, it's luck of the draw as building boats is a very manual process). Either wood or composite the most important thing is how the boat was cared for and if it has been stored wet. Once water gets to the foam the only way to get it out is pull the floor and remove the foam.

Biggest thing is check condition of the hull and structure. A stringer job is not really crazy expensive in materials but it is very labor intensive. Check stringers in everything you look at. Try to tighten lags, they should snug up lightly but not spin (don't crank on them or you'll strip the holes even in solid dry wood). Tap the length of the stringers with a small hammer, wrench, screwdriver handle, etc., you should hear a solid sharp report, any dull or hollow sound is a sign of rotted wood or delamination. If indications of rotten stringers or delamination either walk away or offer accordingly if you have the time and motivation to do repairs or restoration.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-06-2014, 7:42 AM Reply   
I agree, if you in fact want to put 7-8 people in your boat now and then like you mention above, you should really take the time to look for an open-bow, rare as they are for your budget. You'll be better off if you can hold off for a few months until the listings start to pick up again and the selection increases. It would also let you water test what you're looking to buy.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013 Location: Midlothian TX       01-06-2014, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam6961 View Post
Mike i would really try and take the time to look for an open bow, there is just so much room. It will be worth it in the long run. Just keep looking eventually something will pop up.
Yes, the malibu wake is flat when there is only a few people but when the boat is full the wake gets better(1500lbs). Lowrider? I would say they sit just as low as any other ski boat, probably about the same as sport nautique for instance. Sanger on the other hand probably sit the lowest
I'm not saying all Malibus sit low, just the F3. Go look at one actually on the water and you'll see what I mean, especially in the rear. 1500lbs? That much weight would be pushing it if you planned to carry a couple people with you. You might be able to throw a 750 in there, but even then I'd be nervous about that with a more than a couple guests on board. I've heard they throw an OK wake, but nothing to write home about and not nearly as nice as a weighted MC2001.

^^^That's low and not a ton of weight

Last edited by FastR3DN3K; 01-06-2014 at 7:52 AM.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-06-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
Whats a MC2001? Is it similar to the 2001 model Ski Naitique Made in the 80's/early 90's? I assume the MC stands for Master Craft, I wasn't aware they made a 2001 model boat. Their boat of that type for that era was a Prostar 190, we owned one for many years.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-06-2014, 6:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastR3DN3K View Post
I'm not saying all Malibus sit low, just the F3. Go look at one actually on the water and you'll see what I mean, especially in the rear. 1500lbs? That much weight would be pushing it if you planned to carry a couple people with you. You might be able to throw a 750 in there, but even then I'd be nervous about that with a more than a couple guests on board. I've heard they throw an OK wake, but nothing to write home about and not nearly as nice as a weighted MC2001[/SIZE][/SIZE]
thats the 19.5ft closed bow the open bow's are 20ft and it doesn't look like they have much front weight. my friend has 89 sunsetter which if i am not mistaken is pretty much the same as a euro. if the boat is going to have 7 people we usually don't run any sac's because there just isn't enough room, but if there is 5-6 people we will run two 400's on the floor one each side of the dog house and sometimes a 150 in the front. usually with all the people it will be 1500 lbs total or if there is 3-4 we add more sac's. the platform sits about 3inches under water with all the weight. this is all on a 3 blade prop, we could probably go to 2000lbs on it but we haven't tried it. if he had a 4 blade we could weight it even more. then we would have to worry about getting swamped.

yes, the wake is alright for a DD, its not ever going to be as good a v drive boat. but its good enough to do 540s and some inverts. if you want see a video of it there is a link on my profile page.
also the boat can surf if you throw enough weight on one side and have a small/fast surf board.

ya, MC2001? you mean nautique 2001? ive heard thats the best closed bow wake boat but he was kinda looking for a open bow.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-06-2014, 11:13 PM Reply   
any opinions on this supra? It looks well taken care of... http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...mp-Ts6m-370683 its in DC and its gona be in the 60s this weekend... might be worth a drive down out of this cold.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-07-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
Looks kinda expensive, you have two open boat bows that are cheaper. I would really look at that american skier. I dont see any craigslist links maybe try there too
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-07-2014, 10:17 AM Reply   
Try this search engine, really makes searching through craigslist much faster http://www.searchtempest.com/
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-07-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
the TS6M comp isnt a necessarily a good wake/surf boat ... better for skiing.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-07-2014, 1:54 PM Reply   
Unless your primary use is slalom, don't bother with a comp. Very low freeboard so can't take much weight. For a closed bow you may consider a CC SN2001, Supra Pirata (Saltare with closed bow, 23'), Supra Rider (SunSport with closed bow, 21'). These three all have plenty of freeboard and more room than a Comp.
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       01-08-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
I'd hold out for an open bow. They are in your price range just harder to find.

When I was looking just a couple months ago someone on this forum found me a 1992 Nautique Excel. They seem to be really rare but are a open bow V-Drive boat that had an asking price of $8950. It's carbureted and I believe it has wood stringers (not sure- verifying this proved difficult).

I ultimately had a larger budget than you so went with a newer boat but would have looked at this one if my budget was just a little lower.

I don't know if he ever sold it- I have his phone number if you want to see if it is still around and just not for sale over the winter. It was listed in the Sacramento craigslist.

Even if it's not still for sale, the moral of the story is:
Don't settle- find what you want.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-08-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Unless your primary use is slalom, don't bother with a comp. Very low freeboard so can't take much weight. For a closed bow you may consider a CC SN2001, Supra Pirata (Saltare with closed bow, 23'), Supra Rider (SunSport with closed bow, 21'). These three all have plenty of freeboard and more room than a Comp.
I 2nd this. I don't think you'd be happy with a comp. THe Comp is a dedicated slalom boat, a racecar on the water.

I found my 92 Sunsport that's all composite for $9500 last April. It had tower, dual batteries w/ perko switch, perfect pass, racks, under seat ballast, open bow, trunk, bimini, CD Player, with 580 hours. The sunsport has great freeboard and is a damn comfortable ride. it's really versitle and I've had comments from friends with V-drives how roomy mine is and how much they love the freeboard and the wide beam. I don't regret it.

Here's my boat:
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-08-2014, 7:29 PM Reply   
I would stay away from the comp, and nearly all malibus in your price range just because they are going to sit very low in the water. The Supra sunsports/saltares are going to be your best bet. If you really look you might can find a mc prostar 205 which will be just as good. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-08-2014, 8:38 PM Reply   
Nice sun sport ! Looks great for a 92.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-08-2014, 10:59 PM Reply   
yea, I think I may be upping my budget to around 9k, depending how far I have to drive. Trayson that is a sweet looking boat, I think that is the route I wanna go. It just sucks because I am an impluse buyer, and all the boats around me are in Fridged weather, so unless I drive south a bit I cant test ride anything let alone hear them run. And It sucks because If I do drive south a bit, I dont want to drive down just to look at a boat. I wanna take one home after driving all that time.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-09-2014, 12:47 AM Reply   
I've been looking at this a lot, hours not listed so I emailed about them. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...-bow-102094135

this is out of my range but looks sweet.. with a big block and low hours http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...tare-101916273
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       01-09-2014, 7:40 AM Reply   
Those both look pretty nice, and you might be able to talk either one down some.

Here's a 91 down in Texas if you don't mind the wrap http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/4248336350.html

Or an 88 down in Florida http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/4263376156.html

both in your original price range.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-09-2014, 7:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salister View Post
I've been looking at this a lot, hours not listed so I emailed about them. http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...-bow-102094135
A little overpriced IMO for something that's in the winter and the older one that has the wood stringers. (it's easy to tell on the Sunsports as the rounded windshields = composite stringers)
Quote:
this is out of my range but looks sweet.. with a big block and low hours http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...tare-101916273
Not feeling the tower choice. And price is way too high IMO. Some of these Supra owners think their boats are made of gold.

I mean, by their pricing logic, my boat would be worth like $13k easily.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-09-2014, 8:03 AM Reply   
Also, my boat was one that I remembered seeing online in the late fall. I think that the seller took a break from selling it over the winter as he'd winterized the boat and stuff. When it popped back on CL in the spring, I knew I'd seen the boat and the price had dropped. (he'd been asking somewhere between 11 and 13 IIRC). I was the first serious buyer that was willing to throw down the money w/o being a flake.

So be patient and keep looking. The right one will turn up. If not now, maybe closer to spring.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-09-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
Also, if I were going to go as high as the 12's then I'd look at this one. It has perfect pass and some ballast already. Composite stringers. Tower/bimini... http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...c=ipadfacebook
Old     (rottenland)      Join Date: Sep 2013       01-09-2014, 8:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
I've been looking at this a lot, hours not listed so I emailed about them.

This boat was for sale back in September when I started looking. They were asking $12.9k back then too.

Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-09-2014, 8:36 AM Reply   
I did look at that launch, However with the other two supras, the sunsport having wood stringers and 1030hrs what would be a fair price? and the Saltare being composite and 350 hours what would be a fair price. I think both are at dealers, the Saltare being in GA I could probably have a test run, the Sunsport is away in storage and wouldnt be able to get a test run... I dont feel bad making a lowball offer to a dealer as I would a private party.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-09-2014, 8:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
I did look at that launch, However with the other two supras, the sunsport having wood stringers and 1030hrs what would be a fair price? and the Saltare being composite and 350 hours what would be a fair price. I think both are at dealers, the Saltare being in GA I could probably have a test run, the Sunsport is away in storage and wouldnt be able to get a test run... I dont feel bad making a lowball offer to a dealer as I would a private party.
Take a test drive of the saltare and then lowball the crap out of them. Never know what might happen. I think it's high. And I think that tower is ugly. But it's a decent boat overall. with the extra length, you'll have TONS of room in it. I am not a fan of the double wide driver's seat, but it is what it is.

where are you located?
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-09-2014, 9:58 AM Reply   
I am in PA so that's a good 10 hour drive. Not sure how much I'd want a big block but for the right price... although I cant afford to drive down there to lowball them and not have it accepted...
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-09-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
I am in PA so that's a good 10 hour drive. Not sure how much I'd want a big block but for the right price... although I cant afford to drive down there to lowball them and not have it accepted...
Sounds like a road trip that would be unlikely to deliver. Wait it out. you're price range is about right to find a reasonable DD. I'm sure something will turn up soon enough.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-09-2014, 10:18 AM Reply   
Open bow mastercraft:
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41384

Centurian in MI
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=40820

Another Centurian in MI
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=34963

MC Prostar 205 open bow tower, Virginia
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=38348

Tige with tower in Texas
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=39693

Malibu in South Dakota
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=41358
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-09-2014, 10:26 AM Reply   
I like that prostar, Might have to bite on that one.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-09-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
It's a little rough in the pics, but if they put in new vinyl it might be allright. Perfect pass is a HUGE plus ($1000 option). Looks like it has all the goodies to make it a fun boat. And the price is in your ballpark. Color scheme doesn't suck like many of the neon boats you'd see in your price range. (just say no to teal and pink)

That trailer is something else. Obviously not what came with the boat. It's kind of a monstrosity, but I'm sure you can live with it for the price.

Keep us updated.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-09-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
I'll take any decent tandem axle I can get
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-09-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'll take any decent tandem axle I can get
Fair enough. Hell, with that trailer, I'd actually consider taking that huge angled piece that the winch/roller arm is mounted to and put some kind of step platform up there so that it'd be easier to walk from the trailer tongue to the bow of the boat. That could be kinda slick.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-09-2014, 11:25 AM Reply   
although that trailer doesnt look like the right kinda trailer for a DD, looks like the back of the boat is hanging off.
Old     (rbeckner27)      Join Date: Oct 2013       01-09-2014, 11:40 AM Reply   
I live in Richmond and if it's relatively close I could ride over and look at it this weekend and if there would do a test drive I could meet them on the river or lake chesdin.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       01-09-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
although that trailer doesnt look like the right kinda trailer for a DD, looks like the back of the boat is hanging off.
Could be a negotiating point. Just hope that the trailer has a prop guard (skid thingy).

You can just make out my trailer's prop guard in this pic where you can see that I have the metal frame to protect the prop and rudder.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-09-2014, 12:43 PM Reply   
Prostar!!!!!
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-09-2014, 2:08 PM Reply   
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/4277843412.html
Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-09-2014, 8:58 PM Reply   
Ya that prostar looks good. And has perfect pass... They have a pretty solid wake. I'm more of a supra guy but that would be the boat I went with no doubt.

Old     (jamespjackson95)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-09-2014, 9:02 PM Reply   
Check out where the perfect pass is mounted in the pictures... Seems like a pretty odd place to put it. Why not just ditch a speedo?

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       01-09-2014, 11:30 PM Reply   
Not bad lookin and well within your price range listed at $6500 obo
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/4274322069.html
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-10-2014, 12:28 AM Reply   
looks nice but thats no Vdrive. and I think Its a bit far from me... Im trying to keep an 8-10 hr drive tops from central PA.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-10-2014, 1:07 AM Reply   
For that budget
Sunsport (92+ is all fiberglass, no wood stringers)
Sunsetter

You can also cross your fingers, pray, and do some extensive searching and you MIGHT be able to find a Nautque Excel somewhere for that budget. The elusive early 90s V-Drive.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-10-2014, 4:52 AM Reply   
what kinda tower is on that supra saltre the red one
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-10-2014, 4:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by machloosy View Post
Yeah that boat looks awesome you should come buy it. i'll make you a WW deal ... haha its mine
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-10-2014, 4:55 AM Reply   
i'll take PP and the tower off and give you a different tower and sell it to you for 9k
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-10-2014, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Yeah that boat looks awesome you should come buy it. i'll make you a WW deal ... haha its mine
I wondered if that was a WW boat. It looks clean, practical, and fair priced haha. Nice boat man. Nicer than mine!

IMO though, this prostar might be the deal to beat:
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=38348

Last edited by machloosy; 01-10-2014 at 7:41 AM. Reason: Forgot a piece
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       01-10-2014, 8:01 AM Reply   
http://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/4277257693.html

One more Hydrodyne. Smack dab in your original budget, kick a$$ motor. Open bow, tower, etc.
Old     (Salister)      Join Date: Nov 2013       01-11-2014, 7:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by machloosy View Post
http://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/4277257693.html

One more Hydrodyne. Smack dab in your original budget, kick a$$ motor. Open bow, tower, etc.
flagged...

and of course the prostar guy isnt responding... Im betting someone bought that when it was first posted and never taken down.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       01-11-2014, 9:13 PM Reply   
The prostar guy is a member here... That boat was for sale for 10, then 8... Sounds like a good deal...