Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-06-2014, 3:21 PM Reply   
Anyone know how to disassemble the Holley 4 barrel on a 90's 351 PCM engine (92 Ski Nautique). I removed the carb from the engine. There are 10 torx head machine screws holding the top of the carb and I've removed them. The problem is that the top still won't come off. Seems like every other Holley 4 barrel I search online has removable float bowels, but not this one.

The freak'n thing is pouring gas into the engine so I figure it's a float problem. But the top plate covering the whole carb including the floats is still stuck solid. It's as if there are other bolts or screws holding it on but I can't tell. On other Holley you can remove a bold that allows you to see the gas level and adjust the floats, but not this one. On other Holleys you can attack a vacuum gauge and adjust the idle mixture, but not this one. Weird design. I could even get a rebuilt one online for $270 but the fuel line is in a total different location to hook up.

I figure someone here has done it. Any advice?
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       10-06-2014, 3:41 PM Reply   
What model or list number? Typical PCM 351w engines used 4160 600 CFM carbs. To disassemble you have 6 screws from below holding base plate to main body and 4 long bolts on each end to remove the float bowl and metering block. Secondary side will have a metering plate held on by a few screws. At that point it's just remove the needle and seats and accelerator pump, clean everything real well and reassemble. A 4150 will be the same but with a metering block on the secondary side and a second accelerator pump if mechanical secondary. That's the quick and dirty, just disassemble everything, clean well, and reassemble.

Good rule of thumb for float height if you don't have a spec for that application is set the float to be level or a hair below as a good starting point. With internal adjustment floats it sucks to get it dialed in on a marine application with the carb sitting at an angle. Set the primary side a little low and secondary a bit high if it sits at much of an angle, or add a wedge spacer to get it more level.

Sounds like you may have one of those newer Holleys made similarly to an Autolite 4100. They didn't make a lot of them and I believe Summit or someone else bought the design and now they are sold as Summit brand. Not sure these were ever "marine" carbs but the bowls are one piece with the main body so not many places to leak. That's my best guess frmo your description, assuming it is actually a Holley and not an Edelbrock or other AFB style carb or a Quadrajet.

If it's a HOlley let us know the list number, should be on the choke horn. Posting a picture would help too, because from your description it's not a standard 4160/4150 style Holley.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-06-2014, 4:00 PM Reply   
I figured it out. Finally found the model number 4010. Then I saw a youtube video showing one disassembled. Where the flame arrester bolts to the carb is a long hex nut that needed to be removed. The number is R50483.

No removable float bowels in this carb. What an odd sucker. If you want to see what it looks like, check out this youtube. The sucker was pouring gas into the engine. When it was idling you could see gas film on the water behind the ski platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7YkfGitmME
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       10-06-2014, 4:29 PM Reply   
I only have experience with the 4160, but I'm sure someone one correctcraftfan.com will be able and willing to help you out.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-10-2014, 1:00 PM Reply   
Bought a rebuild kit and new floats for $70. All I can say is.... !!!!HOLY CRAP!!!!

My boat hasn't run this good in nearly 20 years! I can't ever remember it starting this easy. Everything went together with no issues. No adjusting anything after installation except lowering the idle speed. Set the idle mixture screws and 1 1/4 out and that seemed perfect from the start. Life is good.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       10-10-2014, 7:21 PM Reply   
Haha awesome. Enjoy!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-11-2014, 7:03 AM Reply   
Some pics.
Attached Images