Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-27-2015, 5:12 AM Reply   
So I was working on my boat yesterday evening and did the unthinkable,drilled a 1/4" through the bottom of it,FML! I went full Wally! I thought I had 1" of top deck,I didn't. So any how I've seen videos of how to eyeglass it which I'm tot illy capable of but don't really want too. Is there any epoxy ,resin, filler tgat I could use for a patch that will hold up? Thanks in advance
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2015, 6:18 AM Reply   
Red; there is a section in this thread that deals with filling holes and then gell coat repair
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674757
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       03-27-2015, 6:47 AM Reply   
I haven't fixed a hole, but I did fix a pretty bad crack/chipping place from hitting a dock with the nose and it was a slow process in the winter because the gel coat dried so slow. Otherwise, some sanding and buffing and the repair isn't noticeable.

I watched few different youtube videos also for some guidance ahead of time and read that link G posted.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-27-2015, 6:50 AM Reply   
I actually wanted you to respond grant I know you've done this before. So that spectrum product is a filler and finish all in 1? Also how long does it take to cure?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2015, 7:49 AM Reply   
Red don't count on the Soectrum as a filler. Use a Epoxy or Polly filler like JB weld to fill the hole and then use the Spectrum to cover your hole filling. Try and make the spectrum about the thickness of a credit card. No thicker. The taller you build up the spectrum the more chance you have of chipping. Also the gell can become transparent when it gets thin.

Example if you fill the hole flush with JB weld, grind down the hole like I did in the thread above where I filled my pedo tubes. Then put the spectrum over it. If you don't grund Down deep enough and the spectrum is not thick enough you will be able to see threw the spectrum and see a shadow of the JB weld.

Drying it takes any where from a few Hrs to Overnight to dry. It depends on the outside temp and the thickness of your repair
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-27-2015, 8:53 AM Reply   
Ok that's what I eanted to know! Job weld it is! It's a 1/4" hole on the bottom of my boat couldn't really careless about cosmetic since I can't see it.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-28-2015, 9:47 AM Reply   
If I did this to my own boat, I'd patch it the unfussy way. Quarter inch truss head fastener with sealant and/or rubber washer ... and then think of it like it's ornament like rhinestones on a country-western belt buckle.

Last edited by john211; 03-28-2015 at 9:49 AM. Reason: sp
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-28-2015, 3:09 PM Reply   
I'm serious about what I'd do. Get a large-headed plastic fastener. Nylon? Chamfer that hole slightly in the gel coat so as to hopefully eliminate sites where cracks can initiate and then propagate from there. Slather 5200 around that fastener in the hole. And ... get back on the water ... pronto.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       03-28-2015, 4:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by john211 View Post
I'm serious about what I'd do. Get a large-headed plastic fastener. Nylon? Chamfer that hole slightly in the gel coat so as to hopefully eliminate sites where cracks can initiate and then propagate from there. Slather 5200 around that fastener in the hole. And ... get back on the water ... pronto.
Or... you could use 5200 or epoxy to fill the hole, add some gelcoat to get the color right. Allow about the same time to cure as your "fix", then sand/finish off the gelcoat at a later date when you feel like making it look good. Accomplishes the same result without the ghetto fabulous, shade-tree mechanic look of your repair.

Not to flame you, but if you're going to take the time to fix the hole don't make it look worse doing a half-assed repair job.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-29-2015, 6:48 AM Reply   
Marine Tex...white epoxy made just for this type of use. Take a little care when you apply and you won't even have to sand much if at all. And, that's a good thing. It will cure hard as a rock.

Fill in the hole well then use a plastic spreader (wet it with water) and make a nice even flat surface. You won't see it later unless you look for it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-29-2015, 1:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
This, kind of. Instead of a large plastic fastener, take this opportunity and bore the hole out and add on another inlet and ballast pump
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-29-2015, 6:42 PM Reply   
^lol I was already thinking that! Bore it out add a scoop and another pump. But at time I filled with gorilla glue so I could get out the next day. Holding up like a champ!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-30-2015, 3:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Accomplishes the same result without the ghetto fabulous, shade-tree mechanic look of your repair.

Not to flame you, but if you're going to take the time to fix the hole don't make it look worse doing a half-assed repair job.
But you did ... you flamed. So evidently the dilemma is, whether to go apesh$t ? or to go 'ghetto' ?

Quote:
I filled with gorilla glue so I could get out the next day.
Ding ding ... we have a winner.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       03-30-2015, 4:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
But you did ... you flamed. So evidently the dilemma is, whether to go apesh$t ? or to go 'ghetto' ?
I vote ape****...