Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-27-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
I'd like to hear more opinions on this question. There is a nice discussion in the archives posted 1/16/03. Here is what I learned there.

Wake: The hulls are usually identical so the wake is the same when using ballast. The ballast placement in a DD however requires the sacs to be in the way instead of in the lockers or the bow. The wake is smaller if you like to ski.

Handling: some people talk about superior handling with a DD. My V-drive is infinitely superior to any I/O I've been in that I doubt it's that much better.

Seating: some people complained of being too close in a V-drive and too far apart to be part of the conversation in a DD when the motor is running. I don't know what seating arrangement is superior.

Repairs: DD wins, the engine is much easier to work on.

Cost: I guess that little kink in the V-drive is pretty pricey - Tige quotes the starting MSRP for their DD as about 5K less than for a comparable V-drive. Are there other factors making that price difference?

Old    blr            12-27-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
Great points. And a good part of what led me to buying the Tige 22iR. But it is truly not a typical DD. The seating is amazing and you really don't hear much motor noise inside the boat.
Old    tigejohn21i            12-27-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
I have a Tige 21iR and the noise is minimal, seating and storage is great. What led me to a DD over VD (wow, did I just say VD) is that my wife likes to ski, kids like to knee board and wake board. It handles awesome and is very versatile. Engine is easy to work on.. etc
Old    matt_dettman            12-27-2003, 12:33 PM Reply   
Yeah, but Tallguy, I can fit back in the storage area with no problem!

Are you coming down to Mead soon?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-27-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
I've owned both (a '97 Mastercraft Prostar 205 and now an '02 Super Air Nautique). My personal preference is for the VDrive, for a few reasons...the engine placement makes it much easier to weight correctly for boarding (without losing the back seat like I did in my DD because there was a huge sack back there). As for space, there is actually more interior space in the DD (if you count the motor as interior space, I used to sit on it all the time), but the people sitting in the back seat are a little bit removed from the crowd, so communication is more limited, especially when the boat is moving. Also, when the boat is stopped, it's nice to have the rear deck of the v-drive to just chill and lay out. The interior space in the SAN is actually very nice, we can easily have 6-7 in the main cabin area, including the driver.

Downsides of a V-drive? The biggest downside, hands down, is the handling difference, especially with the Nauty. My MC handled like a sports car, and i could navigate that thing perfectly even at slow speeds. The Nauty has a wide turning radius, and the fact that it backs to the opposite direction of most doesn't help either, especially when docking (though all Nautys do this, DD and V-drive). The other downside is the limitations for your slalom set, if you have one...
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-27-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention storage. Your dealer can hide himself in your V-drive storage lockers, but I don't think the DD storage is as generous.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-27-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
i def like the seating in my d-drive much better than v-drives. more spread out. more room to stretch out. stretch-out room is important to me as i am a big guy. still have a sundeck, although not as large.

i like the handling, I like the skiability. I am happy with the boat!

(Message edited by timmy on December 27, 2003)
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-27-2003, 4:03 PM Reply   
You might want to look at the malibu xti series its sort of a mx of the 2 just my 2 cents
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-27-2003, 10:56 PM Reply   
You can use the Fat Seat to add to your wake in a DD without losing interor space.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-28-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
it all comes back again to....
PERSONAL PREFERENCE
if you want a boat only for Wakeboarding, then perhaps the V-drive is better, because of the engine on the back, wich produces a better wake, storage and etc, then if what you want is all-around boat the d-drive may be more dinamic, since the wake is more adjustable, and it handles better, and since the engine is in the middle it also navigates better. Fuel consuption should be lower too, and mechanics are simpler and cheaper.
Anyway, both boat weighted should make the same wake since hulls are the same.
Seatting is a matter of choice, since there are several seating configurations for both types of boats
but then again, it all comes back to
PERSONAL PREFERENCE.
Old     (goth2o)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-28-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
I have talked to a # of ppl on this subject before i bought mine and it seems v-drives are out selling DD by like 8 to 1. I do agree with personal preference though. I always look at resale! it is funny though only like 3 years ago they couldnt give a vdrive away....
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-28-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
Optimize for what is important to your needs.

A vdrive has:
1. much better storage.
2. a more social cockpit.
3. a worse ski wake.
4. worse handling when unloaded.
5. a higher price tag.

Since #1-2 are very important to me, and #3-5 are not important, the vdrive is my only choice.
Old    nooner            12-28-2003, 4:18 PM Reply   
most people have their boat loaded pretty much to the max. So I would say Handling is a NON-issue. Since they both a DD and a VD will handle like poop loaded to the brink!

As for Vdrive I like being able to keep a good handle on the little ones. If there are any out on the boat with you.
Old    godfather            12-28-2003, 6:47 PM Reply   
V-drive all the way....
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-28-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
which one can you wakeboard behind? that one is the best!! you guys have been snowed in too long.
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-29-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
All good points. If all you do is WB, v-drive all the way, in spite of the crappy handling. I will always have a DD, as wife and daughter slalom. I hid 1110lbs of ballast w/ 5 pumps out of sight, so the wake rocks. 2 things I dislike about V-drives are that they're tough to work on compared to DD, and I'm not a fan of the huge sunpad. All comes back to preference.
Old    tommyadrian5            12-29-2003, 7:08 AM Reply   
hey mitch, do you have a schematic or could you give me the lowdown on your ballast system, i'm looking to put one in my mc this spring and my boat is somewhat similar to yours.
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-29-2003, 4:25 PM Reply   
You need the long floor locker, which I'm not sure you have. I've got 550 there and another 550 in the rear locker, both are 67"? 2 pumps fill (drilled thru the hull next to drain petcock) and 3 pumps drain (2 rear and one for the front). We used two 3 position switches on the dash. 2 buds did the work, so that's about the extent of my knowledge.
Old    tommyadrian5            12-30-2003, 6:12 AM Reply   
yea i don't have to long floor locker, I think i'm gonna just load up on lead under the raised walkway through the windshield(hidden) and plumb a small custom sack in the bow and one in the trunk, and maybe have a custom filler cushion made to make it a playpen.