Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-16-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have 6 Infinity 63.5i's on my tower and trying to decide what amp to go with. I previously ran a fosgate 4 ch and parralelled 2 channels to 4 of them and it was good but not thrilled. Last year I ran just 4 of them with a MTX 2 channel and sounded great but kept over heating at 2 ohms. Now I'm looking at a Precision Power 4 ch. and a Precision Power 2 channel to run all 6 of them at 4 ohm.. Any recommendations for other "reasonable" amps or wiring configurations.. what are you guys running 6 high power towers with. thanks.
Old    xtigeman            12-16-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
How much do you want to spend?

I had the same issues with 6 tower speakers and also tried the PPI route. I was not satified.

I bought a McIntosh 602 with autoformers. This amp is only a two channel (300 X 2), but the amp is unreal and is stable down to 1 ohm. I drive 4 tower speakers (bi amping other set of towers with PPI 4125) with it and it has plenty of power to spare and will not overheat and is totally clip proof. One could run 6 speakers off this amp with no problem. Price, about $ 3,500.00 off the net.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-16-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
What about looking at some 6 channel amps or getting a high enough power 4 channel amp that could handle 6 speakers. I have been very happy with my Hifonics amps. You can easily run most high end amps at 2 ohms without a problem and then you wouldn't need 2 amps. For tower speakers, I really don't think you would notice a difference between 4 and 2 ohms. I think the PPI amps would work as well. Doug input and lack of satisfaction is at the extreme high end of the charts (this is a compliment, not a put down). For the other 99% of us, I think it would work fine.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-16-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
if you want to save the loot, hifonics is great power and priced very well on ebay
Old    vern            12-16-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
I have a Hifonics amp in my SUV and it's pushed my subs nicely for the last few years. The price was well worth the power, especially since i went with the upper end of their amps. I would say go with Hifonics, or else re-wire the MTX amps cuz those are darn nice amps.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-16-2003, 1:47 PM Reply   
Ya, I definitely am not in a McIntosh position right now but I'll look at hifonics as well. I've ran both the fosgate and MTX at 2 ohms and MTX sounded much better but got too hot. 6 channels are kinda crazy and rare so I'll probably try another 4 channel or stick with the 2 amps for 6 towers speaker. Need to find more room though because that would be 4. Anymore recommendations.. Thanks for the help..
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-16-2003, 2:13 PM Reply   
Just checked prices and those Hifonics amps are less $$ then MTX or PPI. Do other people agree they are better...
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-16-2003, 2:24 PM Reply   
hifonics are higher current than mtx.
mcintosh are the bomb though.
Old    deltahoosier            12-16-2003, 2:38 PM Reply   
I love my JL Audio 300x2. Good price and very stable with various loads and voltage conditions. I have not been involved with HiPhonics for a long time, so, I really do not have know much except, they were pretty good back in the day. Beyond that, I don't know.
Old    xtigeman            12-17-2003, 7:26 AM Reply   
Yeah, I know McInotsh is probably overkill, but the autoforomer stuff is truly amazing and innovative. Autoformer regulates impediance, in part, and prevents that amp from every overheating or clipping which can damage your speakers.

Expensive, but the features are endless. This amp will maintain rated power off only 12 volts. Also, the THD of less than .005 is maintained at 4, 2, or 1 ohm. MOst 1 ohm stable amps get a pretty large increase in THD when taking them down to 1 ohm.

At one time, I was using 2 PPI 4125 which costs about $ 1,600 and they were not nearly as powerful and I had problems with them cutting out due to over heating on occassions when it was very hot. They were cutting out despite my fan system that automatically kicks on to prevent overheating.

I actually saw a McIntosh 602 not long ago on ebay sell for in the $ 1,500 range. Check out Stereoexchange on ebay or email them and they may have one for around the same price. This is about the price of 2 PPI 4125s and Stereo Exhcange stuff is new. It is just overstock, but comes without a warranty since it is internet sales and McIntosh policies regarding internet sales.

Trust me, if you can find one used or on ebay in your price range, you will be very happy and never have any more concerns about powering tower speakers.
Old    xtigeman            12-17-2003, 7:31 AM Reply   
Check out this beauty at www.mcintoshlabs.com. Clean, powerful, PM EQ, balanced inputs and etc.

On ebay just do a search for McInotsh and find the seller stereoexchange. They have a very high rating and I purchased from them. It is worth a try to see if they have one they are willing to deal on or even a demo in stock.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-17-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
Doug, I still have no doubt about the Mcintosh but 1600 for an amp is just out the budget right now. The PPI 4125's are selling for under $400 on ebay. Even though I've been swapping out amps and speakers almost every year for upgrades, I do need to try the BMW before the Ferrari. So I think I still have it narrowed down to PPI, MTX, and Hifonics but everybodies opinion on which is better is different. More input if you have it. I thought Grant would have some input on this one. Thanks again.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-17-2003, 8:26 AM Reply   
I run orion which are awesome and I know grant runs the same amps.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-17-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   

I'm running all JL Audio and very pleased.

WWW.WAKEON.COM
Old    xtigeman            12-17-2003, 2:34 PM Reply   
Wow, under $ 400. I bought my PPI 4125s about 2 years ago and thought they were around $ 700.00 or $ 800.00. JL, PPI and Phoenix Gold ZX/Titanium would all be good choices and I have used all three.

2 of these may work nicely and should be very stable driving 3 sets of tower speakers.

http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=470&1=471&3=2345

This would be even cooler and I tried to buy one 2 years ago, but I could not find one in stock anywhere.

http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=470&1=471&3=2352

I like Orions, and have 2 900 Extremes that I use for subs and Zapco is the BMW range in amps. If strict budget Hifonics/MTX price range, check out Cadence.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-17-2003, 3:09 PM Reply   
Is the Phoenix Gold Octane stuff crap. They are very inexpensive. I know the Tantrum and Titanium stuff is much more $$.
Old    xtigeman            12-17-2003, 3:53 PM Reply   
I had a Tantrum Series 500.2 that I sold to a fellow wakeworlder and it was a very good and a very powerful amp for the price. He was very happy with the amp. Sorry, I have never heard an Octane so I cannot compare it.

I do have two ZXs (500.4 and a 800) that I am not using. These things were like $ 600.00 + dollars two years ago on ebay and now they are dirt cheap, especially if look used. I saw a 500.4 on ebay for about $ 175.00 not long ago. I was going to sell my ZXs on ebay until I saw how cheaply they were selling.

If it comes down to $ 50.00 or $ 100.00 bucks difference, don't scrimp on tower amps. You will drive those amps very very hard and you will be more upset if your amps are shutting down in the heat and/or you clip and blow your speakers. This is a list of amps I have used in my boats (3 different boats)

Alpine V12 (Decent amp, clipped all the time in hot weather)
MTX (muddy sounding)
HiFonics (okay, too bright and not as clean)
Cadence (okay, but not as clean for highs and mids)
Directed (crap)
PG Tantrum (good amp, just a hair bright)
PG ZX series (good amp, just a hair bright)
Arc Audio (nice sound, not enough power)
Zapco (Awesome)
Orion (Killer sub amp, that you can abuse the hell out of and it will noever clip or cut out, not for mids and highs to me)
PPI (very nice warm sound, a tad brighter than McIntosh, subject to clip and over heat when drievn hard)
I have a Brax in one vehicle. (maybe best sub amp)

I could have saved a lot of money as many times as I have replaced my stuff, especially including speakers. I literally have a table with the following unused speakers that I need to sell:

Focal Utopias 165
Focal Poly Kevlar 165K2s
Boston Pros 6.5s
CDT High definitions 6.5s and 5.25s
Brand new CDT Carbon Fibre components that have never been opened with extra set of tweets
At least 4 pairs of various MB Quarts ranging from prem to Q series
Cerwin Vegas from old Boss B-50s
2 or 3 pairs of Boston Ralleys
A slew of various tweeters

I just ebayed my subs I had laying around. I swear I could open a used stereo shop.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-17-2003, 3:58 PM Reply   
how do you like the cdt's?

you know for a good sub amp that is inexpensive...an di hate to say it because normally i hate their stuff...but, here it goes.

the jbl bp series mono amps. they are great sub amps especially the 1200
Old    xtigeman            12-17-2003, 4:59 PM Reply   
JBL 1200.1 is awesome for the money. Not for mids and highs though.

CDTs are incredible. Zebs had the new Carbon Fibre limited eddition set for some ridiculously low price like $ 199 or $ 249. I actually ordered a set for a guy in England and could not pass up the deal because I like my other CDTs so much.

I bought a set with tweeter enhancement and they sent me two sets of tweeters. I did hook one of the Carbon Fibres 6.5 mid bass up in the driver's door of my cab and playing opposite to a Focal Utopia and then a McInotsh MS 650 in the passenger door it sounded very similar. I would say they are the best deal out there, but I have not hooked up the tweeters or their crossovers. The crossovers, however, look very nice I have heard the silk dome tweeters are very smooth.

I honestly cannot imagine another set of speakers costing less than $ 500.00 sounding better than those CDT Carbon Fibres if you can still find them.
Old    xtigeman            12-17-2003, 5:08 PM Reply   
BTW, isn't that Human Reign a cool amp I linked above.
Old    xtigeman            12-17-2003, 7:50 PM Reply   
Here are some of those speakers just sitting around. I have more outside scattered about in the garage.

Check out the McInotsh cones next to the Utopias on the front row. They are a work of art. Ty, the CDT Carbon Fibre are between the the 3 CDT High Definitions with the red baskets. They look sweet.

(Message edited by xtigeman on December 17, 2003)
Old    xtigeman            12-17-2003, 10:53 PM Reply   
Peter:

Email me at dhanson@gewwlaw.com

That is at my office and I cannot respond to my home email right now.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-18-2003, 6:20 AM Reply   
wow. what a display. i was looking at cdt's and crystals for tower speakers but ran out of loot.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-18-2003, 6:25 AM Reply   
soundstream is great stuff
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-18-2003, 9:55 AM Reply   
the octane is a phoenix gold amp.