Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-03-2013, 7:58 PM Reply   
other than myself has anyone spent any time on the water in this new boat? a fellow WakeWorlder on here is really curious about the recently updated boat. I'm gonna write my review when I get time to sit down at home behind my computer and not on a phone
here's a few pics from when we were out.

your pros
your cons
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-03-2013, 10:52 PM Reply   
ok ill start this review off on a general note for the updates to nautiques linc system.
first off bluetooth is awesome! but everybody knows that. being able to control your phone or music via wireless phone is great! pairing setup wasnt that hard to do, connecting everytime you get into the boat or switching devices that are already paired is really simple. skipping songs and or pausing (even when running pandora) on the linc system controls is user friendly.

since im talking about music i would like to point out that nautiques mute button actually does what its supposed to! i know my friends 2012 byerly boat has issues everytime time the rpms go up a bit the mute disengages and your blaring music. also the volume controls and entire system runs faster then prior years. meaning youre flipping to pages faster and getting thru selections on the screen on the fly.

something new that i didnt know of that i reallly liked was the zero off river mode. i dont know if this has been out for a while but this was my first time putting to the test on the river. when your setting up speeds and cruise control you can select river mode. you then put the rivers current speed, which is displayed when your floating still going down river via the gps. you then set the rivers speed and click the UP river or DOWN river button given on linc. anytime you changes river directions you press the button and the zero off adjusts for the current. big plus!

mikenc plz ask questions if im forgetting something i may be over looking
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-04-2013, 4:12 AM Reply   
Hey Curt, the river mode has been available for a few years now and the reason your buddys byerly boat wasn't staying on mute is because it may have been set on auto volume through the LINC system. If the auto volume function is "on" and mute is activated, it will disengage as soon as you give it throttle. Try turning the auto volume off or to "0".

The new 230 has one of the best surf waves I've seen in awhile and it's awesome you can get it from the factory with a pro ballast system that is covered under warranty. I didn't think I'd like the Voltaic yellow either, but it has grown on me. That boat is the pics is sweet! I should have one on the water in a week for a customer. I'll get some photos if anyone wants them.
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-04-2013, 6:08 AM Reply   
Is the 2014 hull any different than 2013? I thought there were just top deck changes. Looking forward to pics and a review.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-04-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
curt, thanks for starting this thread, as stated I am almost there on the 230, the only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is a pickle fork but other than that it seems to be everything I want. you seem to have a lot of boating experience and I believe you will give me honest info and not fanboy or cheerlead ur brand info just cuz u have one. can u notice the extra depth to the interior much? the most important question I have is the wakeboarding wake,,, this is 90% of what we do though I would like to get a little more into surfing for the tired or chopped water days. what is your honest opinion of the wake as far as wakeboarding. is it consistent, clean, beefy, poppy, etc? wakeboard wake is what I am most curious about. im waiting for dealer to get them in local to me and my boat is supposed to be sold this weekend. thanks for your time.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-04-2013, 6:34 AM Reply   
really? how long has river mode been around? I don't remember seeing that on the 2012s. I'll double check again. I know my buddy had his auto volume set to 0 but not off. nautique said to him that they would have to do an update on his Linc system. I'm guessing something was wrong with his.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-04-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
The 2014 hull is different than the 2013. It's not completely redesigned but tweaked and now your NSS plates are also recessed into the transom which has even further dialed in the NSS system. Mike if wakeboarding is really important make sure you demo one with the pro ballast system.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-04-2013, 6:42 AM Reply   
Curt, it's possible, a few linc systems needed an update for minor things (pretty much any software based system will). That LINC just stores a lot of features so sometimes people forget about auto volume. Hope you enjoyed that 230 man, we will have one on the water next week for a full day, I'll try to get you guys some additional photos and information on top of anything anyone else posts. Mike if wakeboarding is important definitely demo one with a pro ballast system. The one we will have on the water has it so I should have some good pics for you.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-04-2013, 2:38 PM Reply   
mike since you mentioned your wishing for a pickle fork bow. I'll write somethings I noticed in the bow.
the bow gunnel step with sea deck is a smart idea. it makes entry and departure from the bow to land dock etc easier, less chance of slipping.

also nautique got around to having the center windshield "open position" latch so it doesn't bounce if you like to drive with the windshield open.

the added cup holders in front of the drivers side and observer side are also a plus. so now you have 6 cup holders up front instead of 4.

the grab rails in the bow are a little different from previous models, little different meaning a little bent.

you can seat 3 comfortably but 4 is cramped.

the con's I found for the bow: AIR DAM. yes it still has an air dam but when you don't want it you're stuck trying to store away a piece of plastic (or whatever material it is). the G series has the retractable air dam that is easy and not cumbersome.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-04-2013, 5:28 PM Reply   
Curt, I am enjoying ur info and those r details I was unaware of for sure,,,,,, killing me though brother, must have wake opinions,,,,,, is it awesome, average, temperamental ?? Thanks for setting up this thread, I for sure would get the pro ballast add on, but since my dealer hasn't received theirs yet I'm stuck investigating for now.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-05-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
mike, im working my way back there

i already covered the linc system but now im gonna cover the interior layout and the cockpit.
the interior layout out is a bit better than the previous 230 layout. the edges around the removable seat backs are allot smoother and no gaps if you take out the seat backs. this is also where you can really see and feel the deeper hull come into play. you dont feel like your knees are in your chest when sitting, also if your using the gunnels as an arm rest you will definitely notice your arm shoulder position being higher than normal. im sure i already mentioned that the entire boat is covered in seadeck, BIG PLUS even in the compartments, which are no longer covered by loose cushions. everything has hinges like the G series BIG PLUS, the compartment space is relatively the same (probably a little bigger) but not so much that i noticed. cooler placement is also the same. ok this pretty much leaves the cockpit, this is where i found allot of CONS. the cock like previous 230s is pretty much the same, but only WORSE. this is a personal opinion but i HATE HATE HATE the hydro gate system! why cant nautique make a great wake/shape without the use of this stupid option?! i understand people say its great for water skiing tubing all round shape blah blah blah. if i wanted to manipulate the wake i would use weight placement. next CON is the dash: what a waste of space!!! previous models the space to the left of linc system wasnt too bad. but now its WORSE! its bigger, uglier and doing nothing!! nautique G series at least did something usefull with this space and placed a small drivers glove box right there. but nope, they forgot that for the 230! next CON is the perko switch hatch and space. the door is now smaller and the space inside is also as well. i liked the larger size before because you could put a few belongings in there but now you can maybe fit a pack of gum. the last CON i found was the auxiliary inputs just below that waste of space dash is gone. i know they now have bluetooth so that defeats the purpose of having that BUT why not a space to put your phone glasses sunscreen etc?!?! these three CONS together dont add up. perko switch hatch is smaller, dash space is larger, and aux inputs gone. what is now there??!?! can someone tell me? then maybe i wont complain as much... ok the only BIG plus i found is that the driver now has two cup holders down below and some space to place some items. but i wouldnt place any electronics down there, if your drink spills or water gets in there then theyre gonna get fried in.

any questions on the interior?

Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-06-2013, 5:38 AM Reply   
hahahaha that had me dieing right now man. So funny
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-06-2013, 7:01 AM Reply   
Random question- Is that Bob's wakeboard and helmet in the last pic? Just noticed thats his pro model with all off his exact sponsor stickers
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-06-2013, 7:15 AM Reply   
yes

one of the days he was out with us for about 3 - 4 hours
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-06-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
My biggest issue with the 230 was lack of reversible seating and having about half the storage of any other 23' (where do you put boards?). I do like the dash, exterior lines, Nauteak flooring, and cooler placement.

Overall boat handled and surfed well. Liked the trays over the rear ballast with the Pro Surf option. I wish they would have went more ergonomic like MC has done on their interiors instead of all Tige-square. Wakeboard wake seemed same as old 230 with stock only (2100 lbs).

I think MC is really pulling away from CC with interior fit and finish. My buddy's new Star has a great aluminum glove box cover, this boat has a cheap feeling plastic one. Stitching seemed less recessed than MC's which gives the appearance of cheapness. Also got out last week on another buddies G23. Noticed same thing that at 300 hours the boat is not showing wear well.

Lastly sniffed around a new 23LSV and am loving how Bu clings to carpet like Texans cling to guns and religion.

That is all.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-06-2013, 7:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtRanger View Post
loving how Bu clings to carpet like Texans cling to guns and religion.
That was pretty funny
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-06-2013, 8:49 PM Reply   
jet, thank you for reminding me on the interior and it's non reversible seating system. another thing that nautique totally missed out on. Another CON in my book.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-07-2013, 8:20 PM Reply   
Curt, still waiting on ur wakeboard wake and surf review, been checking daily to c if u have added it.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-08-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
Lastly sniffed around a new 23LSV and am loving how Bu clings to carpet like Texans cling to guns and religion.
How come in 2014 Nautique still lines their storage areas with carpet in a $100k boat? That 230 has probably 3 times more carpet in the storage areas than my VLX does since I ordered mine with the wet tech floors (no carpet). I'd rather have snap out carpet in the cabin than permanent carpet covering the entire storage compartments that are always damp, especially once that soft cooler starts to leak.

Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-08-2013, 8:43 AM Reply   
It is not carpet. It is "monkey fuzz". I have it in my 2008 sante 210. It is ok. Does not trap water as much as carpet and kind of dresses up area vs nothing, i guess.

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/carpett...onkeyfuzz.aspx

oh, and since this is wake world and not planet nautique it is ok for me to say that nautique got it from a monkey's balls. (just a joke) but if i said that on planet nautique i would probably be labeled a hater.

Last edited by scottb7; 10-08-2013 at 8:46 AM.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-08-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
That is carpet. It might be low pile, but it's still carpet, even if given a cute name. That's why it's called carpet on the Nautique parts website.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-08-2013, 10:29 AM Reply   
where are the wake pics and the NSS wave pics?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-08-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
Brett, you certainly can call it what you like, which as you mentioned the nautique parts site does as well. But just so people have a better sense of it. It is definitely more like a "felt" then a "carpet".
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-08-2013, 11:16 AM Reply   
This thread is worthless without wake pics
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-08-2013, 11:33 AM Reply   
doesnt look like they even had boards on the boat, so I guess there were no wake/wave pics that day
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-08-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
doesnt look like they even had boards on the boat, so I guess there were no wake/wave pics that day
boom shockalakah!

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-08-2013, 1:47 PM Reply   
I have a few more wake pics but they are not that good. every morning we went out to ride everybody else were still too wasted to ride. so we had no third, yeah so driving and taking pics wasn't real easy to pull off.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-08-2013, 2:14 PM Reply   
the wake TO ME is similar to the previous 230s. but from the boat it looks different. this 230 we "product tested" did have the pro ballast setup and full. as you can see in the pics there is a pretty consistent white wash throughout both sides of the wake. does it affect your jumping? no. does it look bad? probably. the white wash look kinda reminds me of the G series having that funny white wash behind there rooster tail. the wake itself has a little more lip to it (compared to the old 230) I THINK because of this, so that's a plus in my book. if you don't like it then run more bow weight. weight distribution sensitivity side to side isn't bad at all. although we had pro ballast system full but no observer, we had 100# in lead on port side to help off set. and that was enough to keep us equally weighted with drivers being about 180#. the boat was powered by the PCM 343 and had the high altitude prop.

together with ballast full we had no issues getting on plane, and staying on plane when throwing double ups. the boats handling was awesome! it doesn't feel like whale trying to turn ex: G23, 24 MXZ, X 46. CONS on the wake, if you wanna count the appearance that's your call. otherwise none! I do wish we could have sacked her out but she only had 5 hours on her and nobody would wake up to help weigh her down (also didn't have fat sacs). pics taken at 23.6 at 75ft. though I was riding and preferred 23.2
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-08-2013, 2:18 PM Reply   
feel free to ask me some questions on anything, I try to make my reviews as detailed and try to take allot into thought on writing these reviews to cover everything for people that are curious. BTW we were a couple hundred feet above sea level so that probably helped engines performance
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-08-2013, 2:26 PM Reply   
That wake looks unbelievably different then last years model.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-09-2013, 2:19 PM Reply   
a few more of the wakeboard wake.

Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-09-2013, 6:13 PM Reply   
Curt, First off, thanks again for the time u put into this thread based off one question I asked u..... Honestly though that wash does scare me off a little, wake looks really unimpressive, I went from being 90% certain of my next boat to completely lost again and questioning my decision now, really need to demo myself but waiting on my dealer to receive them,,,,, just really gut wrenching trying to make this decision and get it right
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-09-2013, 10:02 PM Reply   
like my review said, the white wash may look bad but it doesn't affect your wake jumping, it cleans up where you are jumping. also because of the pro ballast sacks in the rear it did make the white wash look worse than it should. even if you look closely on the nautique 230 promo video on there website you will see the white wash.

don't worry, I still have my wake surf review to report on..
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-10-2013, 6:23 AM Reply   
im definitely anxiously awaiting that, however wakeboarding wake is most important and myself, family, and friends will be doing that majority of the time though I do want a good surf wave for those other times though, I am just really wanting to get this right and be happy with my purchase decision and not second guess it or regret it.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-10-2013, 6:52 AM Reply   
I have to admit those pics don't do much for me either but i'm sure its just a case of poor camera shot selection. I'm very much on the fense about getting a 230 but need to ride one loaded with about 2500lbs to see for myself. The rider does like they are getting some decent pop in some of the pics though. Still though what speed was this taken at?
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       10-10-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
yeah ron, sounds like we are on the same boat............ or at least contemplating getting on the same boat,,,,, bad joke, I know
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-10-2013, 10:53 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine has a 2010 230 and he says it takes a lot of weight to clean up the wake. Maybe still true. Although I agree that it probably does not matter, cause if you watch in mirror with a rider up it always cleans up as the rider pulls on the side he is on.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-10-2013, 2:13 PM Reply   
speed in pics was 23.6 to 23.8 at 75 ft going down river with a 1.5 mph current. like I said, observe with a keen eye on nautiques 230 promo video and you will see it
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-10-2013, 2:24 PM Reply   
ok the new 230s wave is actually good in my book. when I say good, I mean really good. it has a very clean face and has drive. on previous 210 230s etc with the hydro gate (I hate) you would seem to get A LOT of turbulence splashing up towards rider on to wave etc. but whatever changes they made in the hull and nss, this is where they really shine!

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-10-2013, 2:43 PM Reply   
Watched the promo video and the wake has the same wash line.