Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-26-2015, 12:37 PM Reply   
The wife and I just had a baby and we are in the process of selling her Audi A4 and upgrading to something larger. We have it narrowed down to the 4runner and the Grand Cherokee Overland. Any of you own one and care to comment on them? Or just overall advise in general. They are relatively close in price so that is not the issue. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-26-2015, 12:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShredSAN View Post
The wife and I just had a baby and we are in the process of selling her Audi A4 and upgrading to something larger. We have it narrowed down to the 4runner and the Grand Cherokee Overland. Any of you own one and care to comment on them? Or just overall advise in general. They are relatively close in price so that is not the issue. Thanks in advance!
What motor in the jgc? We had a 2012 loaded and absolutely loved it. I traded it in for a Cummins pickup, but for towing and overall ride and performance I liked it a lot. We are looking to get another in the near future.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-26-2015, 1:29 PM Reply   
jeep looks better to me
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-26-2015, 1:51 PM Reply   
4Runner all day long.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-26-2015, 2:20 PM Reply   
Test drive both for extended periods of time, I think that should help clear things up. In my opinion, they have very different dynamics behind the wheel. "Better" is a personal preference in this area.

As far as an overall vehicle, I love the WK2 Jeep. (Current GC) It is the perfect mix of all things that I am looking for in an SUV. I understand to others it may not be, it just depends on what you value. I wanted something I could tow with, but still park in smaller spots in the city. The 4runner and GC are almost the same size, but even the V6 GC can town 6200 lbs; the 4runner is capped at 5000. I also wanted a nice interior, again this might be opinion but I feel the GC has a much nicer interior. (especially the Overland you are looking at) I think the interior of the 4runner might offer a bit more space, but that was not a huge concern for me.

Another thing to consider, the ZF designed 8 speed in the GC is a great transmission, and a nicer unit than the older 5 speed in the 4runner. It will provide quicker and less noticeable shifts than the 4runner, while returning better fuel economy. It's also used in many other vehicles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

As far as reliability, stats will show the 4runner will probably have less issues. That being said, my folks have a '14 GC and have had zero issues besides a bluetooth module that needed replacing. A friend of the family has a 2012 4runner and has had a few minor issues, so like anything else it might be luck of the draw. I recently pulled the trigger on a '15 GC myself based on my experiences with my folks '14.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I cross shopped the 4runner with the GC a lot before I made my decision.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-26-2015, 5:46 PM Reply   
I think the Jeep is probably a nicer all around rig, but the 4Runner carries the TOYOTA name on it so it will be MUCH better resale down the road if you don't plan on keeping it forever... I like the Jeep better, but I am a resale guy, so would buy the Toyota.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-26-2015, 8:14 PM Reply   
My wife has a 2013 4Runner Limited 4wd and I really have no complaints about it. I've pulled our 2004 X2 with it a few times and it does just fine. Doesn't get great gas mileage loaded or unloaded, but that is not a deciding factor for us. Her best friend has the GC and it definitely has more bells and whistles, but they are things that I see breaking down the road.

I am on my second Toyota truck with over 250k with minimal issues, so I will continue to purchase Toyota until I think I find something that will be more reliable. My boss is a Mopar guy, trading his Ram and wife's GC every couple years and it seems like little things are always starting to pop up here and there when he is about to get rid of them.

Both are solid and nice cars, but I would say if you are looking to drive it til the wheels fall off, go for the 4Runner. If you want bells and whistles, latest and greatest go with GC.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-26-2015, 9:57 PM Reply   
Jeep for sure.

1) I think it looks way better
2) Have a buddy with one that tows a 2013 Xstar no problem (no knowledge of how 4 runner tows)
3) The 4 Runner is uncomfortable... the front seats are practically on the floor, the rear seats are cramped. I cannot sit in a 4 Runner without my head nearly scraping the roof. Now keep in mind I am 6'4", but I have spent plenty of time in my buddies Jeep, both front seat and back and have been perfectly comfortable. I cannot ride in my in-laws 4-Runner for any amount of time before I get pissed about how low the seats are and get chlostrophobic.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       05-27-2015, 4:45 AM Reply   
If you don't care about resale or repair cost [ coming from an Audi you may be used to it ] go with the jeep. If you want a bullet proof drive train with low maintenance costs and great resale go with the Toy
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-27-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
Both are good and as others have stated a lot depends on what you want. I've got a 14 overland and am very happy. To me these vehicles are in a different class and you get more for your money with the jeep. It shares the same chassis as the ML Mercedes and feels that way when driving, very solid and smooth. I have the v6 and average 19 mpg combined and get up to 25 mpg on the hwy. It has air suspension and self levels when towing. I tow a 2008 xstar and it does pretty well but does work hard on big hills. My towing is limited so the 6 works for me but for regular towing get the v8 or diesel. Aside from the engine mine is rock solid towing and has enough mass and brakes to easily handle my star which is pushing 6000#. I don't have any experience w the new 4 runner but I know they make a good product. Just not my style plus I think they are over priced.

Go to jeepforum.com>wk2 to learn more than you want to know about them. And understand that jeep people are very loyal and biased. But there's a reason for it.

Last edited by cbarguy1; 05-27-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-27-2015, 10:53 AM Reply   
I should have added, negotiate hard if you go jeep. I got mine for 10% off msrp at a time when they were very hot sellers. You should be able to beat that now.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-27-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
My wife has a 2015 4Runner SR5 premium.

I tow the boat with it to the launch 1 mile away and actually does pretty well.

I wanted the Trail edition because I like the manual lever for 4wd instead of the electronic knob but I liked the suspension better on the SR5. I did put a 3" ToyTec spacer lift on it and it looks much better.

She's had it since October and loves it.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-27-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
Thanks for all of the input. Here is a link of the Jeep I am looking at. Seems to be a good deal based on what I am finding elsewhere... Any of y'all in the car business care to shed some light on how much they can negotiate on that listed price?

http://austin.nylemaxwell.com/new/de...d_Austin_Texas
Old     (factive)      Join Date: May 2015       05-27-2015, 11:18 AM Reply   
My lady has a 2010 4runner and it's like the 5th one that we've owned, two of which went 250k miles before we sold them and they were still running perfect. They are bulletproof and very rugged as well.
Old     (Brent44)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-27-2015, 11:35 AM Reply   
Exactly what Froggy said... For me when I buy vehicles I buy based off what I feel is Most to least important.

1. Reliability - Toyota crushes the competition, and I'm not talking about reliability to 100,000 miles any vehicle can do that, I'm talking to 200,000 and beyond with little to no repair cost. Toyota crushes the completion. For me it ends there, so I go buy a Toyota end of story, but just to keep a list of what I also think is important
2. Resale - Toyota crushes the completion... Why? because of their reliability.

3. End of list.

Hey, don't get me wrong that Jeep looks great and I'm sure it drives wonderful but when compared to Toyota and using my Priorities when buying the Jeep just doesn't stack up...

Not trying to sway you to my thinking, just telling what side of the fence I stand on.

Good Luck...
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-27-2015, 12:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShredSAN View Post
Thanks for all of the input. Here is a link of the Jeep I am looking at. Seems to be a good deal based on what I am finding elsewhere... Any of y'all in the car business care to shed some light on how much they can negotiate on that listed price?

http://austin.nylemaxwell.com/new/de...d_Austin_Texas
Here's the place where I got mine. Their prices are very competitive and it gives you something to compare.

http://www.dodgechryslerjeepofkirkla...rland/SortBy0/

Last edited by cbarguy1; 05-27-2015 at 12:46 PM.