Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-03-2015, 12:33 PM Reply   
Any opinions on the wakeboard wake and other comparisons of which one to choose for an intermediate wakeboarder taking beginners as well with some surfing in the future?

Absolutely no skiing whatsoever by anyone ever!!!!

Last edited by rexlex01; 04-03-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-03-2015, 3:27 PM Reply   
I am bias own an 08 SANTE

So SANTE all the way. It has twice the features to make it a way better Watersports boat in my opion. The SANTE will take about half the ballast the VLX of that area will need to get the wakes pumping. Saving you in gas and having the boat just drive better. The wakeboard wake is a great blend of pop and predictability. It's also very versatile. I can get it down to 18-19mph empty and have it clean. It's not the steep wall of the old 99-06 SANTE. The surf wake is outstanding for a 21ft'r. The reversible seating is a awesome. We use ours a ton and was one of the selling points for us. You can have 5 adults easy all facing the rider in the cockpit alone with backrests and leg room. The fit and finish inside the boat is top notch. Eve seat has gas shocks to hold it up. The chase lounges give you a ton of storage and rides rock solid. To me when you get it on the water the Nautique will prove itself.

The Bu is still a great wakeboat. It just needs a lot of ballast to get the wakes up. It's wake is also very versatile and is great for newbs all the way to advanced riders. The Bu seating is a bit more plush and contoured where the Nautique has a bit stiffer foam and is a bit more squared off. If you sit in both boats I think it's easy tell the fit, finish , and attention to detail on the 08 Nauty is just a bit above where the BU was at that time. It's all the small things like hinges, stainless grab handles , reinforced backing plates I feel give the Nauty a little better feel. I think you'll also find a 5-7 k price difference on an 08-08 withbthe BU being lower if that is a factor.

Wake wise both will produce great wakeboarding wakes for what you are looking for. Surf wise I think the 210 edges out the VLX just a hair because of the amplitude on the surf wake. That's more of a personal preference though.binpdefer a more surf style wake than a skim style

Last edited by xstarrider; 04-03-2015 at 3:32 PM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-03-2015, 4:07 PM Reply   
Would this review below be talking about the same era model run boat as as regards hull/beam, etc.?

I looked at the 2012 SANTE 210 closely before ordering my 2012 VLX. The SANTE 210 is a very nice boat but it was surprising to me how much smaller it is than the VLX.

The SANTE seats were shallower (closer to the floor) and the cabin just felt much more spacious in the VLX.
The VLX cabin is wider with a 100" beam vs a 98" beam in the SANTE.
The VLX also has roughly twice the storage space, 116 cubic feet vs only about 60 cubic feet in the SANTE.
The VLX has 1250lbs of factory ballast where the SANTE has only 900lbs. Of course you can add more to both but that just takes away from your storage space.
Both make an excellent wake, personal preference on that one.
The Nautiques I have been in feel a bit smoother in terms of engine vibrations, I think they have better a better engine mounting system.
I like that Nautique uses hinges/gas shocks on more of their seat bases than Malibu.
I like all the rear facing seats in the SANTE but I think the overall the VLX interior is more plush and comfortable.
The SANTE was about a $15k premium over my VLX with nearly identical options.
Malibu offers a tranferrable 5-year engine/powertrain warranty if you get Boaters insurance, Nautique is only 3 years on the powertrain.
The SANTE tower only allows for one pair of board racks so if you want to store more than 4 boards you need to buy the Z5 storage bimini, which doesn't work well if you drop the tower often like I do. The VLX tower can store 8 boards without needing the Z5. I am surprised how often we have used the extra board racks.

Both are great boats and I would have been very happy with the SANTE, I just really liked the extra space and plushness in the VLX and it seemed like a better fit for us. A local buddy recently got a new 210 SANTE and I can't wait to get a pull behind it!

Be sure and demo both back-to-back and look in all the compartments to really get a feel for both boats.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-03-2015, 6:05 PM Reply   
I would say the size and storage argument referenced above can not be used in YOUR comparison because the VLX was completely redesigned in 2009. It added size and new features moving it up the list. If you're comparing an 09-10 VLX to an 08 210 ( which ran from 07-2013) then it would be more of a true statement on space and size. More so you can add as many racks as you want to an 08 210. In your case you're comparing the older hull and design of a pre 09 VLX to a newer 08 Nautique design. That post is comparing a redesigned VLX to the 210. I would agree 100% with all that above post says about newer VLX to the 210

Last edited by xstarrider; 04-03-2015 at 6:10 PM.