Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    Wakesurfmax            04-25-2017, 4:44 PM Reply   
Plz list some models
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       04-25-2017, 5:16 PM Reply   
Same answer as the $10k thread. With the price of new boats the used market is hot. You will be hard pressed to find a surfboat for under $20k unless it needs:

1. Tower
2. Ballast
3. Is a direct drive
4. High hours

etc...

Like other threads already created recently, at $13k you will be in a direct drive boat that may or may not have a tour, more than likely won't have automated ballast, and will require you to have bags all over your cabin.

To be honest if you are really serious about this then I would wait a year or so, save up enough so you can eek into the low $20's and it will be a world of difference in terms of boat options....
Old    Wakesurfmax            04-25-2017, 5:22 PM Reply   
Is automated ballast just plumed in hidden ballast?
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       04-26-2017, 3:28 AM Reply   
Not to be a debby downer but I don't see any surfing in your future on that budget.
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       04-26-2017, 5:29 AM Reply   
Best deal I saw was a 02 Moomba for 12000, it had about 500 hours on it but it was really nice. Very well taken care of and added too it a lot of things. I bailed on it because it was to long of a drive for me. Instead I got a 04 Malibu wake setter from 30k to 20k, only got to ride it once last year. I bought in the off season so its cheaper. Have yet tried to surf it, I will be doing that Saturday!

I also came across in Atlanta a 04 centurion avalanche, but it wasn't the c4. It had a reverse enzo bag which made it great for goofy. It needed some work but still a great deal!

I spent probably 3 years looking at craiglist shopping, and said I wouldn't buy unless it is a deal that I can sell and make money. I bought it from a town that's not big into boats and brought it back to the head quarters of Malibu area. Boats here like the other said go quick used.

My advice is wait until after the season, and search and search like crazy. Whatever you do, don't settle and buy a outboard boat you SHOULD NOT SURF those. Yet people want.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       04-26-2017, 10:09 AM Reply   
If you're lucky you can find a 92+ supra sunsport for that kind of money. I sold mine for just over 13k and it had tower, ballast, surf system, stereo system...
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       04-26-2017, 9:54 PM Reply   
Even with $20k budget its hard to find anything decent at this time of year. Best bet is to wait till winter time when someone needs to cash and is willing to give up a deal. Otherwise look in places that surfing is not popular and you MIGHT get lucky.
Good luck, wont be easy at all
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-27-2017, 4:43 PM Reply   
Tige 2100 or 2150 would be your best bet for a decent surfing d-drive.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...0-wt-103026284
Old    Wakesurfmax            04-27-2017, 5:16 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, so I'm still looking for more options...with my budget it's probably going to be a direct drive...I heard u want a deep v in the hull..Supra sunsport I heard is just that and good for surfing.. any other models that have deep v...any other things you should look for in a surf boat? Thanks
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-28-2017, 7:58 AM Reply   
^^^Not necessarily true. That was the thinking of a few years ago. It's more about the angle between the running surface and the side of the hull. There's a lot more to it than that but, suffice to say a deep v is not the end all be all of surf boat design. Look at some of the new surf machines out there like Tige or Nautique or Malibu. They're not deep at all. If that were the case, there's no way the old Tige d-drives would even be able to generate any usable surf wake. They are flat bottoms. Instead, they are known to be respectable. I've been surfing mine since '03.
Old    Wakesurfmax            04-28-2017, 3:17 PM Reply   
So what are some good boats under 13k for wakesurfing then..?
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-28-2017, 5:25 PM Reply   
Ummm....none. I gonna guess that most new boats have more than $13k in surfboards, racks, extra ballast, upgraded props, bags, pumps and gas money trying to get then dialed in.

My rec is get a nice a boat as you can and then just get a Wakefoil. Those look way more fun than a surfboard and dont require all the crap that goes into surfing.
Old    Wakesurfmax            04-28-2017, 7:39 PM Reply   
There has to be just one boat that is hands down best for wakesurfing under 13k??what dd are the best???or v drive ??highy unlikely...anyways would like to hear the best wakesurf boat under 13k, so then I can search for model and buy it
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       04-29-2017, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakesurfmax View Post
There has to be just one boat that is hands down best for wakesurfing under 13k??what dd are the best???or v drive ??highy unlikely...anyways would like to hear the best wakesurf boat under 13k, so then I can search for model and buy it
Not trying to be a dick, but I read this thread for the 1st time today and found 2 solid recommendations within the post (Supra Sunsport and Tige 2100/2150). You have asked a tough questio and folks have provided a response with boats they have experience with. I would get off of WW and start searching for these boats. There is a chance this thread has already caused a few of these boats to be sold. A general Google search for an inexpensive surf boat will most likely bring up this thread for anyone in the same market you are in. Good luck in your search.
Old     (hypripper)      Join Date: May 2002       04-29-2017, 7:47 AM Reply   
Problem solved
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/6093929774.html
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       04-29-2017, 9:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
No there isn't.

Trust me man about once a month, maybe every other month, someone posts in here asking "what's the cheapest (usually sub 20) surf boat I can get"........

If you absolutely HAVE to purchase this year your best bet would be that Tige. Not sure how a 2100v's hull will be compared to a 1999+ 21v's though...

If you up your budget to the 17-19 range that will get you into a Tige 21v which with an ACME 1411 prop and custom enzo bag from Mike's Liquid Audio will put out an INCREDIBLE wave for it's era.....that's what I had before I bought my R21.......
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-29-2017, 3:08 PM Reply   
Here you go bro. Right on budget, a good surf boat, and a right in your neck of the woods.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...076500623.html
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-29-2017, 3:56 PM Reply   
Plus it's a fuel injected, one owner boat with fairly low hours for the year. Lots of YouTube videos of the surf wave
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-29-2017, 4:45 PM Reply   
^^^Nice one.
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       04-29-2017, 7:45 PM Reply   
This just was posted over on the TigeOwners site. Less than your budget and all set up to surf, pics in the post. This probably won't last long.
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26314
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-30-2017, 10:25 AM Reply   
^^^There's a better wake in that boat than it shows. I like the fact it has no tower. You can put a decent one on an not have to worry about the old holes.
Old    Wakesurfmax            05-01-2017, 5:44 PM Reply   
More questions...trying to buy a wakesurf boat under 13k...what systems do you think work best for wakesurfing...taps...wedge..normal wake plate...wakesurf devices...What's the hands down best wakesurf wave under 13/14 k ...I heard mastercraft 205 is good..?? Still looking for the hands down best boat for wakesurifng under 13/14k though thanks
Old    Wakesurfmax            05-01-2017, 5:46 PM Reply   
Also best wakesurf shaper under 250$ ...thinking nauticurl... what other wakesurf devices should you get or upgrades...thinking perfect pass ...wake shaper... extra ballast...what else thanks
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-02-2017, 12:44 PM Reply   
Why not take the money you have for a boat and invest it to put it towards a nicer boat or use it for vacations to catch real ocean waves. Then go get a job at the local boat dealer doing what ever you can for them. You would have a pretty good chance to get out on some very nice boats working for your local dealer. Thats all assuming your age on your profile is correct.
Old    Wakesurfmax            05-03-2017, 9:04 PM Reply   
Any answers to my questions above^^best wakesurf boat under 13k
Old     (TNwakeboarder86)      Join Date: Sep 2016       05-04-2017, 6:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
I agree with everyone else, look at the older tiges, or even Moombas. I have friends who have 2000 2001 moombas, and load it up with fat sacs and cant get a ok wake. You will sacrifice people in the boat, or at least their comfort for a wake. There was a month ago a 01 Moomba Mobius v drive for 12500. It had ballast but no perfect pass.

They are out there, just keep looking on craiglists and be ready to drive. Also keep an eye on onlyinbounds.com
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       05-04-2017, 9:59 AM Reply   
Max your a Effin clown. Go jump in your uncles lap and surf away.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-04-2017, 12:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
dude. READ your own thread. been spelled out for you several times
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       05-04-2017, 4:00 PM Reply   
We feel for you man. You are young and want a great surf boat but don't have the funds to do it right. We have all been there and I wish like hell that you could get a surf boat ready to go for $13k. The sad truth is that unless you are smart enough to wait till winter to buy when some unlucky soul cant afford to keep it or cant wait till summer to sell it, or you get a project boat, or just plain get super lucky...it is not gonna happen. You are asking at PRIME boat selling time when everyone is looking. Now is the time to sell, not buy.
Wait till this fall or mid winter and NEXT summer (and the years after that if you take care of it), you will have what you want AND you wont lose as much when you sell down road. If you cant wait, get the best thing you can afford and be happy. The best part of boating is being on the water enjoying yourself...not whether you are on a $10k boat or a $100k boat. We all start somewhere. I worked my ass off for a long time before I was able to become an owner instead of a dreamer. Makes it that much more rewarding when you do get it.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-05-2017, 3:54 AM Reply   
Doesn't sound like you can afford to play.
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       05-05-2017, 5:51 AM Reply   
Another option, if you do have some money saved. Make friends with a family that surfs on your lake, or if you are not on a lake, a nearby one. You could either pay them to take you out, or you may be able to exchange work for riding time. When we had a small lake place, I struggled to get the lawn mown because it was our 3rd property. The 14 yr old boy across the street took care of the lawn, we paid him a small amount AND took him out almost every weekend. At the end of the Summer, we bought him a wakeboard as an additional thank you. A
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-05-2017, 8:35 AM Reply   
Yea go get that sunsport I posted. You don't even have to travel far to get it (1.5 hrs). Better jump on it before someone else does.
Now you can stop asking the same question over and over
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       05-05-2017, 5:21 PM Reply   
Here is a surf boat...right at your budget in Washington. 1997 Tige. Surf ready for $13k

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...150-Surf-Ready
Old    Wakesurfmax            05-14-2017, 3:22 PM Reply   
Is a deep v good for surfing? Is a deep v good for surfing when u have wakesurf shaper?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-30-2017, 8:29 PM Reply   
I beg to differ with the 'upgrade your budget if you want to surf' opinion above. My 87 Supra Sunsport can hold its own with boats many times its price. I have 2000lbs of ballast all hidden (except one sac for surfing). Open bow, great board wake and surf wave. One of the only 80s models you will find with a true deep v hull and nice high freeboard. 80s models are wood floors but if you can find a solid one, they are great boats, plenty of budget for upgrades. 93 and never are all fiberglass. Search google for Wakemikey 87 Sunsport if you want to see more of my project. Yes you still want a deep v with a surf shaper because overall displacement is your goal. Had her for eight years and still going strong. Cheers
Link to a picture of my wave, so as not to clutter thread with pictures.
http://photos.wakeboarder.com/data/3508/660532.jpg

Last edited by wakemikey; 05-30-2017 at 8:30 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-30-2017, 8:56 PM Reply   
^^^^^92 and newer are composite.

Yeah my 92 Sunsport with a surf system was okay, but it doesn't hold a candle to my v drive I replaced it with (3500 pounds of hidden automated ballast now). Sure, double the price, but I'd never go back.
Old    Kevin123            08-03-2017, 9:16 AM Reply   
Best wakesurf boat under 15k...old dd tiges...supra sunsport...anymore that are good direct drive wakesurf boats for under 15k?
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       08-03-2017, 12:30 PM Reply   
Here's what I would do with my 13k budget. Put 6k down on a brand new Moomba Helix & use the remaining 7k for my $350 monthly payments. That gets you a solid 20 months with a brand new surf machine.

I take that back I'd probably put 8k down on a Mojo or B52 or S238 🤷🏼*♂️ lol

Maybe 10k on Fi23 & FTW
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       08-31-2017, 2:39 PM Reply   
Brett gets the game. Well done.