Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old    rod_sullivan            06-21-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Danny was involved in a serious boat accident last month. Has anyone heard how he is doing?

Rod Sullivan
rodsullivan@sullivanandco.fdn.com
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-21-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
Details... what happend?! That sucks!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-21-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
Ya Danny rips what happened? Anyone?
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-21-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
what happened..we need an explanation of the accident!
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-22-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Here is the article from alliancewake.com

Hammer Time
by TS
6/22/2006 Got to spend a day with Danny Hampson in his home town of Tavernier, Florida this past week. The 18-year-old LF team rider was in a pretty bad boating accident last month that left him with a fractured skull and spine, as well as some nerve damage in his right arm. But despite all the Internet rumors, Danny is doing fine and recovering nicely. In fact, with the Miami Heat winning the NBA the other night and the World Cup in full effect, the kid is rolling. He still has to wear his neck brace for another 4-6 weeks, but has gained full motion and feeling in his arm, and is working daily with a physical therapist to regain his strength. I did a short interview with him about his recovery and this is what he had to say:

Me: Hey, I want to do a little interview with you for the web.
DH: Yes! I'm back, I'm officially back.

Me: How are you feeling?
DH: I'm doing great. I feel alive, more alive than I've felt in a while.

Me: Why is that?
DH: Because I can move now. Once you taste the sour tast of death, the sweet taste of life is that much sweeter.

Me: When will you be back on the water?
DH: I never left.

Me: But once you get that neck brace off you can ride again?
DH: Well, it depends on what the doctors say, how my ligaments are healing and everything. But I'm just going to take some time and go to the gym and get really huge neck muscles.

I took a sweet photo of Danny too, maybe too sweet for the web. Look for it in an upcoming issue of the mag. It's that good.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-22-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
WOW - did someone run him over?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
I am assuming that he ate a slider. It would be interesting to know what did happen though.
Old     (billyjodonjimbo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-22-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
5/16/2006 Professional wakeskater Danny Hampson was involved in a boating accident over the weekend and suffered some scary injuries, but is expected to make a full recovery. Danny was riding in the front of a boat near his home in Tavernier, FL when the boat went out of control and crashed into a line of mangroves, ejecting Danny and several other passengers. Danny suffered a severe laceration in his neck, near his spine, and also fractured his skull. But as of today the doctors have removed him from the trauma unit and he is recovering in a Miami hospital.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-22-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
Intresting.. Although no one has answered what had happend.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
Danny was riding in the front of a boat near his home in Tavernier, FL when the boat went out of control and crashed into a line of mangroves, ejecting Danny and several other passengers.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-22-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
how does a boat go out of control?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-22-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Thanks EJ... internet kept going down so I missed that last post before mine, way to be on top of things though!

Only Joking with you.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-22-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
I heard the were headed back and someone cut them off and the only direction to go was into the Mangroves.