Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-09-2014, 10:11 AM Reply   
To settle a Class Action law suit. I guess when Redbull claims "it gives you wings" and you don't happen to sprout a pair suddenly it's false advertising.

You know some law firm cashed a big check after this one!!!

God bless the stupid!

http://fox2now.com/2014/10/08/class-...-wings-slogan/
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-09-2014, 12:47 PM Reply   
What the **** has the world come to?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-09-2014, 4:16 PM Reply   
It blows me away that stupid S##t like this can even go to court. The judge should just tell the stupid people to go away!
Old     (aricsx15)      Join Date: Jan 2014       10-09-2014, 4:31 PM Reply   
What the literal FK
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-09-2014, 7:20 PM Reply   
The US court system, which was one of the best, is now just open to the highest bidder. It's sad.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-09-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
It is no longer a justice system, it has become a legal system.
Old     (brian_young)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-09-2014, 9:03 PM Reply   
I kind of want the $15 in Red Bull, but I don't want to be associated with this non-sense.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-09-2014, 9:07 PM Reply   
Couple things. The $13m amount is the settlement amount. Red Bull agreed to pay it, they could have continued fighting the class action suits, but chose not to. And from my perspective, it's a very crafty settlement. If you take the time and energy to make a claim, they will pay you $10 cash or $15 in Red Bull product. I'm sure a large portion of people will take $15 in Red Bull since it's $5 "more" in the consumer's hands. But that "larger" payout only costs pennies on the dollar to Red Bull so their $13m settlement may end up costing them much less.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-09-2014, 9:26 PM Reply   
Looking at a company who managed to secure the financial backing to drop a guy from space, do you think a $13mil settlement will have any ripple into Red Bull's smaller sponsorship sectors(perhaps wake)?
Old     (AxisofEvil)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-10-2014, 5:04 AM Reply   
While I agree this is a stupid law suit, Im pretty sure they aren't being sued for false advertising because their beverage doesn't literally make people pop out wings.

The read the second and third sentience of that link...

"The company recently agreed to pay $13 million to consumers to settle two consumer class action lawsuits. Plaintiffs alleged that Red Bull’s marketing misrepresents both the functionality and safety of the company’s beverages.

The drinkers claimed they were misled by the slogan “Red Bull gives you wings,” stating the company’s advertised benefits of “increased performance,” “improved concentration” and “reaction speed” are false."
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-10-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
I think you guys are missing the reason that Red Bull is paying this out, pure marketing genius! Red Bull is now on every news/media outlet in the country! The radio dj's are talking about it, FB is blowing up about it, CNN/Fox/NBC, etc are all talking about it. I also read that the amount of people trying to claim the settlement crashed the web servers. This will be the most effective $13 million that they have spent in advertising even if it is deemed "negative" on the surface!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2014, 7:17 AM Reply   
Just think about the Money both law firms racked up to bring this case to court. Both sides of the case got large paycheck's and in the end What was produced? And What wrong was made right?
Is the public now better informed that RedBull can't make you sprout wings and fly? I guess this is less about stupid people claiming they were misled it's All about one law firm seeing a oppertunity to make some money using the legal system.

No wonder why you see disclaimers at the bottom of almost every add these days. I'm sure a simple disclaimer at the bottom of all of red bulls adds is now in play.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-10-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
At first I was like heck yeah I am going to sign up for the $15 worth of Red Bull but then I felt that it would be hypocritical of me to do so, so I am not going to. Why do I have to have integrity? HAHAHA! There's another crazy one against the Five Fingers shoes. I have been wearing those for years for running and love them and they said that they would give you back $50 or something but I didn't feel that it was right to do that one either.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-10-2014, 8:13 AM Reply   
I agree that the lawsuit was about the advertised benefits of “increased performance,” “improved concentration” and “reaction speed”. The wings part was added to the article to made the lawsuit seem more frivolous and many of you fell for it. Did anyone believe that Red Bull would actually do these things??? How many bottles of 5 hour energy are sold each year? People are stupid. I wasn't one of them so I won't be partaking in the settlement. If I drank a Red Bull, it was because it was high in caffeine and I needed some. Not because it had some voo doo granola health benefits from B vitamins or Taurine or whatever the hipster ingredient is that gullible people think will give you energy and concentration. The "health" food industry is full of BS claims and way too many people are too stupid to know it. It's only allowed because of how much money is contributed to the GDP from this industry.

Note - I don't have anything against the Red Bull company because I like many of the things they do with the profit from their business. They are practically the sole supporter of nearly every sport I love.
Old    bigdtx            10-10-2014, 8:47 AM Reply   
Next up will be all the bogus testosterone treatments that I can't turn on any radio without getting bombarded by their ads. The gov't has already signaled that they will be shutting down this whole fake industry - which has only made things worse because now they're trying to get as much as they can before the gravy train goes off the track.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-11-2014, 1:10 AM Reply   
Just my 2 cents.

Redbull is only good with Jagermeister. Only time I'll drink the stuff. Regular energy drinks taste like a mix between cough syrup and piss.

Other than that, if you need an energy drink, Rockstars/Monsters are better bang for the buck. You get a 16oz can for about $1.25-1.50, less than you'd pay for a 8oz can of redbull.
Rebull is mainly caffeine wher Rockstar has more vitamins and also more liquid content that helps you recover a tad quicker or keep going a little longer.
None of these do anything to improve performance other than getting you jacked up on caffeine, but they do taste good, some of the flavors anyway.

Personally I prefer Viso, not all of the varities have caffeine, but they do have tons of vitamins and are actually good for you, the ones with caffeine have a much better effect than any other energy drink. Also being it's made locally is a nice bonus as well.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       10-11-2014, 2:00 AM Reply   
You know what piss tastes like?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-11-2014, 7:09 AM Reply   
This will give you increased performance and energy all day.
Attached Images

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-11-2014, 8:52 AM Reply   
.... But not enough energy to clean that filth flarn filth, apparently.
Gross!
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2014, 3:12 PM Reply   
Does any fast food look actually like the pictures advertizing it??? What you see ain't what you get!
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-12-2014, 8:17 AM Reply   
Fly135 Yesterday I tried your meal and it did not increase my energy levels all day so I need your real name and address so that I can have my lawyer talk to you.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-12-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
Jon...

Fly Flintstone
135 Cobblestone Way
Bedrock 70777
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-13-2014, 4:51 AM Reply   
Thank you. We will be in touch.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-13-2014, 8:11 AM Reply   
I'm willing to settle for 150% refund. My motto is... I never charge more than my advice is worth or you get your money back.