Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-14-2014, 2:59 PM Reply   
I am getting married later this year (insert marriage joke here) and I am planning on having a Whiskey and Cigar Bar at the wedding.

I know nothing about either one but I will be having a number of guests in attendance that like to indulge in both. I would love to hear some ideas on which Cigars and Whisky have the highest Return on Investment (quality/price). We will have 200-225 guests I suspect 5-10% will participate.

I would like to have a nice selection of both and would appreciate the ease of procurement as I don't see myself headed to Cuba or Tennessee any time soon.

I appreciate the help.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-14-2014, 3:08 PM Reply   
Buffalo Trace Whiskey. Love that stuff.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-14-2014, 3:13 PM Reply   
^^Yep. Buffalo Trace is a great ROI. I also enjoy Woodford but it's a little more $$. Don't know anything about cigars. Cool idea for the wedding though.
Old     (hyperliquidliteforce)      Join Date: Aug 2013       01-14-2014, 3:34 PM Reply   
Makers Mark..... So I hear..... (Not 21)
Old     (pennsforest04)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-14-2014, 3:55 PM Reply   
First off, congrats on the wedding. For cigars, Punches are decent mid-priced cigars. You can look at Macanudos, Montecristos, and Acids as well. Also, aside from whiskeys I would look at scotches like Johnnie Walker Red or Black since scotches compliment cigars well. Just my opinion.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-14-2014, 4:15 PM Reply   
Where do you live? If you can get it, TX Whiskey from Firestone Distillery in Ft. Worth would be great. It has a very subtle vanilla flavor that even non-whiskey drinkers would enjoy. Otherwise, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, and Basil Hayden's are all good choices. Congrats!
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       01-14-2014, 5:37 PM Reply   
I would be willing to be part of the 5 - 10% that would partake. I'll wait for the invite.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-14-2014, 5:42 PM Reply   
Is this for whisky snobs or people who hear "whisky bar" and are expecting shots of Jack?

Macallan 12 is tasty and not brutally expensive.

http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisk...sherry-oak-12/
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-14-2014, 6:24 PM Reply   
montecristos and Basil Hayden?
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-14-2014, 6:34 PM Reply   
We give out Buffalo Trace as Xmas gifts to some of our clients. I find it very good for the price and the customers always love it.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-14-2014, 6:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_moreton View Post
Where do you live? If you can get it, TX Whiskey from Firestone Distillery in Ft. Worth would be great. It has a very subtle vanilla flavor that even non-whiskey drinkers would enjoy. Otherwise, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, and Basil Hayden's are all good choices. Congrats!
TX is good stuff, heavy vanilla. Try and get your hands on some Balconed made down in Waco. Big award winner and probably the best TX whiskey on the market
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-14-2014, 6:57 PM Reply   
I'll second that woodford reserve is excellent. I prefer it to much more expensive bourbon I've bought. Makers 46, angels envy, four roses can't hold a candle to woodford. Can't say I've had trace but many people have said its a great buy
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-14-2014, 8:26 PM Reply   
This is awesome guys - Should go with Scotch instead? Or maybe a combination of both? I live in CA and they aren't total snobs but they like a good drink with a good cigar.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-15-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
Plan on more people indulging, my friends did this and ran out of 300 cigars in about 20 minutes. At a party you would be surprised who will smoke a cigar just for Shicks and giggles
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-15-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
Single Malt all day... Then bring in a cigar roller.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-15-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
This will start out as a Woodford Reserve/MonteCristo bar and end up a George Dickel/American Spirit bar by the end of the night.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-15-2014, 11:53 AM Reply   
Take this for what it's worth, which is really one persons opinion....

I'd do a few different types, give a small selection of whiskey(rye or Canadian)/bourbon/Scotch. Meaning a few bottles of each, but single brand. I am a big fan of Woodford bourbon, which has been mentioned. I don't buy rye or Canadian whiskey. Scotch has never taken with me....maybe some Glenlivet, I hear it is not bad bang for the buck.

Cigars are touchy, as I bet 90% of those that light one, will never finish it, going to have an ashtray full of cigars that have been puffed on a few times and dumped. So small is going to be good. I'd also go with something on the lighter end. Fuente Short Story's would fit that bill and are not to spendy.

IMO, cigars are a much tougher call than the spirits.... I am not a fan of many mentioned so far....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-15-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
Add, if there are those that you KNOW are cigar smokers and are going to sit and enjoy it for 1.5 hours, personally, I'd have a personal stash for those individuals.

In a perfect world(what I'd do) - 3 boxes of H. Upmann Half Coronas' for the masses - 1 box of Bolivar Royal Coronas for the smokers.....

Last edited by deuce; 01-15-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-15-2014, 1:23 PM Reply   
buffalo trace for sure... same recipe as blanton's which costs 4x the price. its just a step lower on the scale.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-15-2014, 7:11 PM Reply   
Yeah I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a Robusto. I'd just go online and look for a couple boxes of fairly mild cigars which each producer makes.

With regards to the whiskey I'm a huge fan of Pendelton. Its smooth and easy to drink. I'd do scotch too my favorite of course is Blue Label but in sure you're not looking to invest that much. Grab something between 12-18 years old with a Glen in the title and you should be okay.

Another nice cigar pairing that's easy to drink is Port. Its not expensive and will offer an easier drinking option. Maybe through some chocolate out too
Old     (pennsforest04)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-15-2014, 10:24 PM Reply   
I concur with EJ, you could buy a nice little stash of cigars for those that really enjoy smoking them and probably buy a few boxes of robustos or toros for the other guests. I would do a mix between whiskeys and scotches so everyone is happy. If you personally enjoy them, try a Padron No. 45, or one of Padron's 1926 series. Another cigar I liked was the Montecristo Epic series.

Last edited by pennsforest04; 01-15-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: don't know
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-24-2014, 10:37 PM Reply   
Romeo y Julieta are personal favorite at not a bad price
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       01-24-2014, 10:45 PM Reply   
I like Jameson personally. Also if you're going for bang for the buck for decent quality stuff, Jack (Gentleman's Jack preferred) is a good stand by, as is Evan Williams, but not the lower end stuff.
I don't know much about cigars, but do appreciate them from time to time. I do know that typically the darker the wrap, the more full the flavor. I'd make sure you have a variety of milder and fuller flavor.
And yes I do concur of the Romeo y Julietas. Typically around $5-15 a piece.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       01-27-2014, 8:46 AM Reply   
Congrats dude, I'm getting married this year as well. The whiskey/cigar bar idea is a good one, might have to borrow that.

Personally, I'd do a bourbon and scotch bar. Basil Haydens is probably my favorite, but I really like Woodford as well. As far as scotch goes, I've recently been working on a bottle of Chivas Regal 12 that I like a lot. Also Macallan makes a real solid single malt. Really can't go wrong with any of those IMO.

Don't know a whole lot about cigars, I like them, but not very knowledgeable on the subject.
Old     (jeepdude)      Join Date: Apr 2011       01-27-2014, 8:56 AM Reply   
I'm a Burbon guy,

1. Black Maple Hill Burbon
2. Basil and Haydens is always a good choice as well.
3. New holland Brewery Beer Barrel Burbon

Need an unbelievable shooting burbon or whiskey.
Bulleit Bourbon - Can be had for under 30 and meant for shooting.

Cigars, I do not smoke much anymore, But i used to do a romeo and julieta.

Good luck and enjoy the great idea
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       01-27-2014, 11:21 AM Reply   
Phat: I think you'll be good with a Johnny Black, Macallan 12yr & Glenlivet 18yr & a Burbon. With those 4 everyone's covered & happy(I would hope)
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-30-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
Revitalizing this older thread.......it appears that the facility will not let me bring in outside alcohol - so I am screwed there. I am going to have to work with their selection. I am going to have a nice set-up for the Cigars - quick question - Where do I buy cigars?

Do I go to a local tobacco place or do I do this online? with 250ish guests - how many do you think I should buy?

I appreciate your help!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-30-2014, 8:44 AM Reply   
EJ's got the right idea. go small for most, churchills for the smokers.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-30-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
You could do it online, but then you have to depend on how they ship them to be a method that is not going to let them dry out or get damaged in transit. A reputable shop online that does a lot of business should work, but I'd stay away from just any place that might just drop them in a "if it fits it ships" box and sends them on their way.

About the quantity though. Given 250 guests (I'm assuming that RSVPd) and you think about 5-10% will participate, I would shoot a little high on those that will, because the casual smoker who is really a non smoker will partake at an event when others are doing it or when alcohol is involved. You have a rock solid 5-10% easy, but you should probably estimate more around 15-20% actually partaking. It's better to have too much and save them for later, or give them to the wedding party as parting gifts then it is to run short. I'd say about 40 cigars would be a good ball park going off your estimates.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-30-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
Depends on the cigars you are buying....but I'd buy everything online. How much time do you have? Do you have the ability to store a few boxes in 65RH/65F while you wait, they settle?

I'd still bootleg in a few bottles of what you want to drink, to hell with them.
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-30-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
Id definately buy online.
www.cigarbid.com is who i have been using for about 5 yrs now. They have some great prices on cigars.
Old     (sja)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-30-2014, 5:12 PM Reply   
Go online to Puro Express and get Partages Serie D, No 4
Best Cigar I've ever had.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-30-2014, 5:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sja View Post
Go online to Puro Express and get Partages Serie D, No 4
Best Cigar I've ever had.
Solid choice there. I'm more of a BRC fan, but PSD4 is an awesome smoke.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-31-2014, 1:27 PM Reply   
Rocky Patel royal vintage has been a favorite of late
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-31-2014, 6:53 PM Reply   
Thanks Gents - appreciate the help
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-31-2014, 7:55 PM Reply   
Don't forgot cutters/punches & lighters!
Old     (PotatoShack)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-01-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
My cousin hired a couple of people that hand rolled the cigars at his wedding. It was real unique way have it.
Old     (alcarlaw1)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-12-2014, 3:30 AM Reply   
are you looking for a single malt or blended? I find that whenever I have US visitors in town and we go whisky tasting, more often than not, they walk away with a bottle of Glenmorangie, And when I look at my whisky collection I seem to have a fair few bottles of Glenmorangie too.
Don't forget some of the Japanese whisky's, Jamazaki is truly excellent, tastes like a lowlands/speyside.
Unless you really know what you like, I would always suggest a Highland (not North Highlands) or Speyside whisky.