Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-22-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
Any guys/girls on here have any ideas for on campus jobs for college students over the summer? I go to UNC and will be looking around there, its my first time looking for a job not where I grew up(where all my connections are) and am having a rough time. Trying to find stuff other than flipping burgers.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-22-2013, 7:11 PM Reply   
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ay.html?pg=all

I read this article quite awhile ago, and thought he had some neat ideas. Just a thought.
Good luck!
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-22-2013, 8:45 PM Reply   
thanks! cool ideas
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-23-2013, 1:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by King12 View Post
Any guys/girls on here have any ideas for on campus jobs for college students over the summer? I go to UNC and will be looking around there, its my first time looking for a job not where I grew up(where all my connections are) and am having a rough time. Trying to find stuff other than flipping burgers.
In the same situation as you are. From Salem, and moved to Eugene (University of Oregon). All connections/previous jobs are back home so didn't have quite the luck for a bit of time. I scoured Indeed, Simply Hired, and surprisingly Craigslist for jobs. These will be your best bet. Whenever a potential employer hinted at coming to see what they do, or popping in on a application, make sure to do so! I just landed a job with Interstate Batteries, which is a Monday-Friday job (weekends off) and pays $10 a hour. I'm stoked! Don't settle and find something you can actually seeing yourself enjoying. Best of luck!
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-24-2013, 8:47 AM Reply   
Thanks, craigslist is pretty good as of now, and i have gotten an email back from a really nice golf course which could be sweet. Unfortunately with finals being the next 2 weeks then mothers day means ill have to go home for a bit, it means when I did get that return back I pretty much had to say I couldnt start for 3 weeks at least. WHich of course doesnt go over well. I completely understand it, and know that it would help me so much to be able to say ill start in 20 mins when I get there, but thats just not an option right now
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       04-25-2013, 4:24 PM Reply   
I worked on campus at my college as a student assistant for the Communications Services Department for 5 years and the flexibility of working at an educational institution was a life saver when I was going through an intense program.

My advice, get a directory of the school, get a stack of resumes and go to whatever departments might interest you, if not all of them. If you have a work-study FAFSA award you are in great shape. Also check whatever online database that is setup for jobs at your campus and show up once a week to check in on your resume. Be persistent, these spots are coveted but once you land one you are in.
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-26-2013, 7:57 AM Reply   
thanks! unfortunately no work study, those help out a ton
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-01-2013, 8:54 PM Reply   
Check local dealerships as well. In my area, a lot are hiring part-time seasonal car washers. Depending on what brand of car dealership you end up applying for, you could find yourself cleaning/driving some cool, unique vehicles. Not a bad way to kill a few hours and get payed.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-06-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
Library is open all year round. Should hire students regularly. Look for work within the athletic department too.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-06-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
I had a job as a TA, best job ever... I just made sure I took all the lab hours on Friday mornings / afternoons (no one there because of hang overs) and Mondays (no one ever there either).

I would just sit and watch over the lab, which basically meant I would watch TV and play video games for 20-30 hours a week making $15 (tax free).... also the professors learned who I was since I was around a lot, got a lot of special treatment because of it.

... if you have the ability to score a TA position, jump on it.

Otherwise I would highly suggest bartending.... nothing beats having straight cash from a night of work. You can still be "at the bar" on weekends or whatever, but instead of blowing $100, you make $100.