Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BeeTL)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-21-2011, 9:22 PM Reply   
I used to post regularly here a few years back, and I used to own a 2002 Malibu VLX with MLS, Wedge, and about 600 lbs. of lead. I ride regular, and the surf wake was awesome!

Circumstances have changed, the VLX is long gone, and a newer boat is not in the cards.

What older hulls take weight well and throw a predictable surf wake for a regular-footed surfer?

Thanks!

Here's a local possibility:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...tique-98660638

Here's a pic of the old VLX for nostalgia's sake:

Last edited by BeeTL; 07-21-2011 at 9:31 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2011, 9:50 PM Reply   
Older Supra Sunsport/Marauder are the only boats I can think of. Everything else in that price range has too little freeboard to get much weight it. I guess you could also try to find a saltare. The other thing you could try and is a Century. they made some higher freeboard, deep vee vdrive and direct drives back in the 80's. The older barefoot nautique had a really deep V in the late 80's but not sure it has enough freeboard to get much weight in.
Old     (BWB745)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-22-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
Its hard, but possible to find a Nautique Excel around 10K. That would be your best bet but as I said, they don't stay on the market long.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
Supra Saltare or SunSport. If you find one with solid stringers (or composite stringers) you'll be fine. They surf great.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-22-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
Fish Nautique's! Sweet older deep v's. Or like they said sun sports. Stay away from rot. You can also find some great deals on tige 21v..
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-22-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
Get a ski nautique 2001, get the right prop, figure out where to put all the weight you'll need and drive carefully when loaded down.

Otherwise, it depends on your mechanical skills. I checked out a 98 vlx during my boat search that I could have gotten for $15k but all the obvious and not so obvious problems scared me off. You might be able to find a newer boat, but expect it to have some issues.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-22-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
If you are willing to go to NH and the stringers are in good shape this could be a great deal.

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/2454351451.html
Old     (lakeeffect)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-17-2011, 8:11 AM Reply   
I have to agree with the Supra Sunsport comments!

Attached image was behind my 1986 Sunsport. I can't remember for sure but we usually had a 500 lb sac on the surf side, a bunch of people in the boat and 800 lbs up front in the playpen.

This video is all behind the boat too. Threw a pretty nice wakeboarding wake with the weight above plus 500 lbs on the other side.

In 2006, I found this boat for $6,000, added a monster tower and a stereo and we were set.

Name:  DSC03204.jpg
Views: 2233
Size:  128.5 KB

http://youtu.be/JQp7wdQfX3U