Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (alMN)      Join Date: Apr 2015       05-07-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
Hey everyone. So I just demoed a 2015 Moomba Mondo with the Raptor engine. First things first, this 20'6" boat has the room of a 22' boat. It was just three of us in the boat and I never even slightly felt squished in there.

So here is my question. With the auto flow my assumption was fill all the ballast 100% (2,300 lbs total - pretty sure it was 600s in the rear lockers, 500 center, 600 bow) and then pick the side you want to surf and that's it. However when we did this the wave was terrible. It wasn't until we emptied the bow & center to 50% and then port full, star 75% did the wave clean up. Which completely defeats the auto flow in my opinion. We had a pretty big bow rise (ie my 5'2" wife would have to stand to see over the bow) and even with that it didn't clean up all that well.

So a few questions to those with the auto flow system on the Mondo.
1. What set up do you run and do you have video/pitures of what you get from those setups? It seems that this boat should have a better wave that what we saw. We also demoed a Tige RZR with the AVX system and that was one of the cleanest wakes that I have seen.

2. Are there settings within the computer that we should have set differently?

3. How much would a windy day affect the surf wave? I know for boarding that on our lake once we get 15ish mph winds wakeboarding is a nightmare on the knees. But I thought you could surf still even when pretty windy??

4. Am I jumping to conclusions by kind of ruling out the Mondo or was it just that we had a bad trip out and the rep didn't really have the boat dialed in for us?

I have a video from my phone that I tried to get up here but I can't get it small enough to be under the size requirements.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-07-2015, 8:06 AM Reply   
I have not seen the new autoflow system, but most of the recommendations I have have seen have been
100% full on surf side
60-80% bow
60-80% non surf side

The other way to do it is fill all of it and just move people to the surf side and rear. Again, I have not seen that boat with autoflow, but know people that have surfed it and it was dialed. I would guess your sales guy did not know what he was doing and should have dialed it first, but who knows. Really hard to tell without being there. Asking on here is probably a good idea and see if you get any feedback or pics.... I know it works, cuase it is supposed to be similar to the Supra, MC and other companies systems.
Old     (alMN)      Join Date: Apr 2015       05-07-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y40O...ature=youtu.be

Here is the video that I took. Not the best video but it will hopefully help out.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-07-2015, 9:07 AM Reply   
That looks like a lot of chop and lack of weight. Throw some weight in that bad boy. That is the nice thing about the newer surf systems like Moomba, Supra, MC,MB. You can add lots of weight to them and make them massive. Many of the first Gen surf systems would get over weighted and go over the gate. Not sure the stock ballast on the Mondo, but I am sure you can replace the bags with bigger ones and later you will probably have a few passengers to add more weight. I would venture a guess that that wave would clean up real nice on clean water and ad some more weight. Again, hard to judge without being there and playing with it.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-07-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
I agree with Diggs.

Also, I'd go over to the Moomba forums and ask the question there. You'll get a better response and a lot of the Moomba owners don't frequent WW.
Old     (alMN)      Join Date: Apr 2015       05-07-2015, 10:10 AM Reply   
I have a similar forum going on the Moomba site also. We at first had the factory 2,350 fully slammed and the wave off the back was worse than my I/O that we just sold. I am really starting to think that the boat was just completely out of tune. Gonna have to call the rep up and have a no bs kind of conversation.
Old     (BigJohnsonUT)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-07-2015, 10:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by alMN View Post
I have a similar forum going on the Moomba site also. We at first had the factory 2,350 fully slammed and the wave off the back was worse than my I/O that we just sold. I am really starting to think that the boat was just completely out of tune. Gonna have to call the rep up and have a no bs kind of conversation.
I just went out on a '15 mojo with the wake plates and the surf wake was huge. took a second to dial it in, but it was big and clean. I know the mojo is bigger but it was impressive.

Also, the raptor engine is amazing.
Old     (Tims)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-08-2015, 6:31 AM Reply   
The Swell system on my SC took a bunch of tweaking to get the wave right. There is quite a bit of adjust-ability. I bet the auto flow is similar. And for sure it needs weight. I ended up with close to 4000 pounds of weight to get the wave where I like it but now is pretty sweet. The Mondo is capable. Link below is my SC running 11.4 mph with around 3800 pounds all hidden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXBNjckwgO4
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-08-2015, 9:16 AM Reply   
Similar to the Supra Swell system the Moomba AutoFlow has adjustability in how far the blades deploy, my guess is that the guy who took you out for the demo just didnt have it set up correctly. Ive delivered about 6 mondos this year, some with flow some with autoflow and all have made massive clean waves with the surf package ballast @ 2300#.
Old     (alMN)      Join Date: Apr 2015       05-08-2015, 9:43 AM Reply   
Do any of you guys have photos or video of what it should have looked like? I really do think it was just a really bad combination of things.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       05-08-2015, 10:15 AM Reply   
Demo'd a 15 Mondo last year non auto, manual flow. The surf wave was pretty good, certainly didn't have any complaints. They had it dialed in right away, I think it was the second demo on the boat. I don't know anything about auto vs. the manual though, it may be entirely different. Also demo'd an LSV, that one not so much dialed.
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       05-09-2015, 10:09 PM Reply   
Like I said on the moomba forum...it needs 900s in rear and 750ibs...this pic is from a very windy day but you get the idea of wake potential.
Old     (tsulmer)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-12-2016, 6:21 PM Reply   
I've had a 2015 Moomba Mondo with Raptor 400 and autoflow surf system for 2 summers now (110 hours in 2016 alone). I have surfed on my friends 2015 MC X30 with Gen2 surf system. Out of the box, the X30's wake was better. So, I replaced the 2ea 650lb bags in the rear with 2 ea 1100 lb (they don't get 100% full because of the compartment - I estimate about 1000 lbs ea). Let me tell you, my wake on my Mondo is now MUCH BIGGER than the X30. Even with just a driver in the boat and me surfing (the usual way things go) my wake is superior. My buddy is jealous now. The X30 wake is a little longer, but not much. I've also surfed behind the Tige Taps system and it is terrible - I hear the next generation taps is better.

Here is how I load my boat for surfing:

REGULAR SURFING (Port)
100% full in front - 1000 lbs
100% full in back (both sides) - 2000 lbs
Autoflow at 80%
Trim full up.

GOOFY SURFING (Starboard)
100% full in front - 1000 lbs
100% full on starboard - 1000 lbs
30-40% full on Port - 300-400 lbs
Autoflow at 80%
Trim full up.

When surfing goofy, if you try to load 100% on both sides, the wake is a junky and not clean. Drop port ballast to less than 50% and it cleans up and is as nice as when surfing regular. And if you have extra people, still keep port ballast below 50% and put the people on the starboard side.

Because of the natural turn of the propeller, you can load both sides 100% for regular surfing; and actually, if you don't fill up the starboard bag I find the wake suffers. And don't let anyone tell you the extra people can sit anywhere and it doesn't matter - it does matter. When surfing goofy, the people can sit wherever they want and the wake is not degraded, BUT, put the people on the port side or evenly balanced in the boat and the wake only gets BETTER. But for goofy surfing, more of the people need to be on the starboard side.

Most people under estimate the importance of front ballast. The more ballast (bags or people) you have in the back, the more weight you need up front. The goal is to sink the ENTIRE boat as deep in the water as you can and not just the stern. When I have lots of people in the boat with me, the wake gets even bigger. I still fill all ballast 100% front and back and throw 2-3 people in the front, letting the rest sit wherever they want in the back. Lots of weight in the back and not enough in the front creates a tall wake that is extremely short and not much fun to surf.

I've helped a bunch of buddies at the lake correctly set up their boats (Supreme, Wakesetter, Tige) with ballast, so I have a good idea how to make a great wake. And in all cases, front ballast is hugely important in generating a good clean, long wake. My X30 buddy is going to work on his boat next year, and we are going to put some more ballast in the bow (the X30 is seriously under weighted in the bow) and another 1200lbs in the back (problem is the compartments are very small).
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-15-2016, 7:00 AM Reply   
You can read my full review of my top3 2016 boat here on wakeworld if you want! I tried and explain between Tige and moomba.. and its normal that tige give you a much better wave just saying haha.. i bought a '16 RZR after testing 5 different boats even 2 times to be sure of my choice. Ballast weight is easy but its not always the good choice.. some boat had 3 000pounds total ballast and the surf wake begin to compare with the RZR with 1600 ballast lol just imagine to fuel save.

Last edited by Mike88; 10-15-2016 at 7:04 AM. Reason: Taping error
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       10-15-2016, 7:06 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=Mike88;1947037]You can read my full review of my top3 2016 boat here on wakeworld if you want! I tried and explain between Tige and moomba.. and its normal that tige give you a much better wave just saying haha.. i bought a '16 RZR after testing 5 different boats even 2 times to be sure of my choice. Ballast weight is easy but its not always the good choice.. some boat had 3 000pounds total ballast and the surf wake begin to compare with the RZR with 1600 ballast lol just imagine to fuel save.

Bigger wave not meens better wave! You can have a HUGE wave with no push, no transition and messy so its crap