Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 27, 2007

Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
On Saturday my family and I were out on my cousins boat at Berryessa. We took a swim call, threw the flag up, and swam next to the boat. Along comes the sheriff with his lights on. We asked him what we did wrong and he said that we put the flag up. We thought that he said we did not have the flag up. So we argued back.

BTW this sheriff was 40+ with braces and was probably relocated. He reminded me of a nerdier Farva from Super Troopers.

Back to the story. He said that the flag rule is for a fallen skier, or wakeboard, handle, tube, or other water toy that is in the water. The flag should not be used for people swimming in the water, next to the boat. Now does it make sense to be out in a busy lake and not have a flag up when people are swimming? My cousin has children that are 5, 6, 9. Does it make sense as a parent/relative to have a flag up so other boats are aware that young children or other people are in the water? Apparently we can be ticketed for having a flag up if someone is swimming in the lake, next to the boat. We did not get a ticket however. He said in Napa county it is ok for the driver of the boat to drink beer, and stay within the legal limits, but its not ok to notify other boats you have people swimming in the water. Or so he says.

Anyways, my cousin and other family members were kissing his behind, because they did not want a ticket. They did not get a ticket. I, however, would have shattered Farvas ego, taken the ticket to court and see what the judge had to say about taking extra-caution by holding a flag up for swimmers.

Essay done
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-25-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
The law around here says anytime you have someone IN the water(not under tow) the flag is to be raised. Yeah, that situation doesn't make a whole lot of sence, but then again, neither do a lot of laws.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-25-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
Next time throw a few feet of the rope in the water.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-25-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
I almost got a ticket a few years ago at Shasta for the same thing. The Sheriff was nice about it and said it was the law re-guard less if we agreed with it or not.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-25-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
We had the same thing happen a few years ago also, I told him to give me the ticket as I wasn't going to put the flag down, my son is in the water playing and want other boats to know.
No ticket but a firm warning that if he seen it up when they came back by that I would get wrote up.

I kinda wanted the ticket also, was so mad and ready to go to court. I think more because the officer was very rude about the whole thing.
Sorry, but make's no sense to me. Person in the water the flag should be up.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       07-25-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
that is crazy and makes no sense
Old     (sparkmonster)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
that has never happened to us at Berryessa and we have had sheriff go right by us
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
that sucks. is there some special swim flag or something?
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-25-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
I've often wondered if we should put the flag up when swimming. We usually don't put I've been wondering about it. That answers that question.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
put the flag up, its safety. throw in a tube or a line if you are worried
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
That's ridiculous that's like saying you can only have your hazard lights on if you have a flat tire That makes no sense at all
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Sounds stupid but I googled it and here is a PDF from the Department of Boating and Waterways.

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Pubs/Pwc/PWC.pdf

So, do what Peter_C suggested. "Next time throw a few feet of the rope in the water."
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-25-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
Why would you let your kids swim where you need a flag and busy with boats? Why not just pull to a cove or close to the shoreline
where there is less traffic
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
kevin sometimes you are in a nice cove or finger and no one is arround but you never know when a fisherman or other boat will drive through. It only takes one boat
Old     (brizad64)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-25-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
I know that around here that you are not supposed to have a flag up if you are just swimming. Other boats are supposed to stay a minimum of 100 feet away from you anyways. I have seen people were the spotter is not paying attention and they loose their rider and drive off a ways before noticing (you cant assume that everyone is not a complete moron) So I can see the point, if you see a flag up and you don’t see someone down then you should slow down and keep an eye out. The WP would have to be an ass to write a ticket for this, it is a common misconception. At least around here.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-25-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
The Red Flags (some states are orange) are Skier down flags (named way before WBing). They are meant to notify other vessels that there is a fallen skier, line and possibly equipment/skis in the water and to be cautious. Does that always happen? no. But that's what it's for.

Should Johnny Law get his panties bunched for having one up while children are swimming around the boat? no.

Should the law be revised, or another flag created? yes. But there are alot of things that should be changed and or revised concerning the boating world that haven't yet (veen though we all know they should be).

Fingers and coves are not always an option. We try move to protected 5mph area or a shore/beach so that they can swim safely. Maybe that's an option next time.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-25-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
That is crazy. Here in Texas there is no need for a flag. And to top it off we don't need a spotter either. Sometimes it feels strange driving while swiveled around watching my rider and not turning back around to the front for a 1/4 mile or so...but that's how we roll!
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
wondering if you can run a dive flag?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2007, 12:56 PM Reply   
I love Florida... No flag, no problem. Use comman sense!

The 'comman sense' thing isn't directed at anyone or any state, just a reminder that if we used comman sense you wouldn't need a flag.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-25-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
I also think the flag rule doesn't make a whole lot of sense to begin with. My eyes are on where I am going and I steer clear of other boats regardless. Also, if a rider falls from another boat that boat quickly idles back to the rider keeping itself between any hazards and the downed rider. This allows the rider to stay safe and people to know a rider is down and where.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-25-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
I think if I was getting hassled I would do as mentioned by Peter. If they want to be anal about the law, throw a tube, rope or ski in the water. The kids can play on it.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
I grew up boating in Wisconsin. No flags program there - and I'm pretty sure still not. The whole flag thing is for the birds.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-25-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Is there something behind the "comMAN sense" or were you meaning to say common sense?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
lol. problem is that we have all observed more then 50% of the boaters out there so we must put up the "hey idiot watch where you are going " flag
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-25-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
I grew up in Louisiana and now live in Texas and seriously had never even seen or talked about a flag until a couple of years ago.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
Now we can't have too many texas guys all post on the same thread here But thats crap. I can understand to a certain extent why you can't have the flag up and no "rider" but if anyone's in the water, then why not.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-25-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
Rick, Thats what I was thinking. And *I think* the rule is 300' on those
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-25-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
I too think the flags are a dumb idea, but I am not boating in highly congested areas either. So they are good for some.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-25-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
hey....what's wrong with braces!?!?
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-25-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
I lived in CO for 6 years and had to deal with flags there, here in TN we are flag free (unless you count the yahoos sporting the Union Jack :-)) I always wondered what kind of boat driver was cruising along and suddenly saw that the boat they were driving directly towards had a flag in the air and so thought to themselves..."Whoa..a flag! I better changed course." Seems to me that the boat is 'flag' enough.
Old     (kottonm0uthking4)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-25-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Eric,

Nothing is wrong with braces... I used it as a visual.

We were swimming in the middle of the lake because we had bottomed out earlier and the prop got nailed. So we had to cruise from pleasure cove to spanish flat at 5mph. With a boat full of kids, thats a long hull. Typically if we take a swim call we do it in a 5mph zone or a cove. Berryessa gets super choppy out in the middle of the lake, so it was just by chance we were swimming there.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
is pleasure cove normally a place for hazards?
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-25-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
We don't have to use flags in CT or MA but I would suggest carrying a divers flag if you want put one up. I definately keep much further away from a boat when I see a divers flag.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-25-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
we can always tell the weirdo's not from around here with their flags.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-25-2007, 6:48 PM Reply   
I personally don't like a few of the sherrifs on berryessa because they are dicks but anyways...I don't see why they would give you a ticket for beig extra careful, personally we won't even swim unless were in a 5mph protected cove because it gets too crazy out on that lake.
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       07-25-2007, 11:05 PM Reply   
this is the only flag we rollUpload
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-25-2007, 11:17 PM Reply   
I can't believe that most of yall have to deal with that mess with the all the rules and constant water cop harassement and power turn jerks. I probably only see the water cop maybe twice a year and we haven't been stopped since so long I don't remember. If anyone ever wants to experience glass water with no other boats or cops, pack up the boat and come to Alabama. Before the wind picks up around 10:30, there is four miles of empty butter everyday.