Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2014, 12:57 PM Reply   
Ok I know everyone's probably sick of these threads but I need help picking a new surf style board. Here is my story, I'm 6' and 180 pounds and surf behind a slammed Wakesetter 23 LSV so wave size is no problem. I'm an experienced skim style surfer and ride a Phase 5 Diamond which is awesome. I'm ready to try a new experience and want to ride a surf style board. I know everyone's first response is going to be go demo boards. Well I live in Oklahoma and don't see how that's a possibility but I'm definitely open for suggestions as to where and how I can do that. Price really isn't an issue because I will ride this board forever and I want something that I can stay with. We'll put 450 hours on our boat this year almost all surfing so I'll get my money's worth I'm sure. I'm really looking for a surf style board, I'll rock the Diamond when I want to skim so I don't think I want a hybrid. So...what do you suggest and equally as important to me is why do you suggest it? I'm seriously looking so any and all input is greatly appreciated, when you spend this much $ on a new board you don't want it to be a dud and there's really no way to demo everything. Thanks again.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-07-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
Great all around Surf style I love is the Sweet Spot Pro from inland Surfer. It has lost of options with the quad fin set up. I run The Big Boy Fins & the little buddies, all degreed fins,. The board is very responsive & extremely durable. Well worth the money!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2014, 1:08 PM Reply   
Soulcraft, Shred Stixx, Day1,IS, you have lots of choices, call any of them and they take your info and set you up for life! Just buy from a wakesurf specific company.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2014, 1:39 PM Reply   
I've heard great things about all of them and I'm definitely buying from a wakesurf specific company. As soon as I think I have my mind made up I read a post about another board and I like hmmm, maybe I should look at that one! The IS Sweet Spot Pro is definitely a board I'm considering and probably a front runner, but is that because that's what I see advertised the most? IDK...racking my brain here!
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-07-2014, 2:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBu View Post
I've heard great things about all of them and I'm definitely buying from a wakesurf specific company. As soon as I think I have my mind made up I read a post about another board and I like hmmm, maybe I should look at that one! The IS Sweet Spot Pro is definitely a board I'm considering and probably a front runner, but is that because that's what I see advertised the most? IDK...racking my brain here!
Steve, get ahold of Shred Stixx and see if they can do anything in the way of demos... the are in your region Doomswell is also somewhat local.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2014, 5:42 PM Reply   
Steve, we have dealer in Tulsa (Ascent Outdoor Apparel) and Disney (Arrowhead Boat Sales Grand Lake) Oklahoma, both of which may have demo programs.
If not you can look at some boards first hand at these locations.

Take a look at www.shredstixxusa.com

I would suggest the following:
Chaos Carbon Sixer
Chaos Pro
Ringer

S Craft-Jetty/squash or maybe a yeti.

If you want to get extra fancy, I can make you a one of a kind bamboo/carbon fiber custom board.

Nick
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2014, 6:02 PM Reply   
Thank you very much for the suggestions, i'll definitely look into those. I have a cousin that works at Arrowhead on Grand Lake so maybe he can help get me in touch with someone up there too. I will definitely be contacting the Shred Stixx guys too.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-07-2014, 8:22 PM Reply   
Would you say the Danielo Diamond is a good hybrid skim/surf board or more skim? Is it real slippery when trying to pump to get speed down the line? Thank you.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-09-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
The DD-Diamond is skim all the way. Not a hybrid at all. The aku/acu board is a hybrid, the colt, trident and model x are all 'hybrid' floating the line between surf and skim boards. Each of theses floats more to the skim board side, IMHO.
Definitely slippery when wet.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-09-2014, 3:32 PM Reply   
^^ Nick said it perfectly. Diamond is a skim board for sure. It's very fast and IMO very slippery. It's fast and loose and is a great board. Easy to break free and spin but definitely maintains control.
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-10-2014, 4:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuBu View Post
If you get a chance definitely try the boards. If you are up in VA, I can hook you up with any IS board.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-10-2014, 10:28 AM Reply   
talk to bryce or jonathan at day1wake.com day1 boards are built very well and i see you are down in texas. i know they have a sponsored rider down there parker payne. he is young kid and up and comer and killing it on his day1 board. i know first hand how great they are to work with. they custom built me a board to fit me. i am 400 lbs and love to surf. they are in the works of building me a 2.0 version. great guys that i have even became friends with. and was out riding on new years eve with them. hit them up 206.280.6223 they have a bunch of stuff in the works thats not on there website.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2014, 1:25 PM Reply   
Paul…I am not familiar with Day1 boards but I will certainly look into them.

Matthew…thank you very much for the offer and I wish I was going to be somewhere close to VA and I would take you up on it.

I've been researching the heck out of the IS Sweet Spot Pro and the Shred Stixx boards (although I'm not sure which one yet) and I would have to say I'm pretty sure it's down to those two boards, or board companies, so let me throw this question out there…

Given my size 6'0 and 180ish (depends on how many liquid calories i take in) is there anything that you guys feel would separate the boards? I think the sweet spot only comes in one size so do you think that will work for me and the Shred Stixx comes in a couple of sizes (depending on which board I look at). But my size always seems to be a "twiner" size for boards. Also since I've always been a skim rider i know absolutely nothing about fins or fin setups. Is there any help there you guys can give me? Sorry i'm mooching so much info but I'm really excited about going to surf style and I just want to do it right, and again I don't have a lot of demo opportunities.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2014, 1:35 PM Reply   
All these boards mentioned are great products. If you have a chance check out Doomswell. Lots of good things comming from them. Brock and Bryan are true craftsman in building there boards. Very strong, top quality material, very fast and east to air off the lip of the wave. Recovery is great too if you start to fall back in the wave.

As far as fin set up.

A quad fin (4fins) is going to be a set up that is locked in and very stable. it will keep the back end of the board srunning straight most of the time.

a twinzer set up is going to feel alot more loose than the quad.

If you dont know which one to get. Go with the quad. You can always take out the back fins if it feels to locked in and just run the 2 front fins, so its the best of both worlds
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2014, 1:40 PM Reply   
www.doomswell.com

Texas Made!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-10-2014, 4:11 PM Reply   
Hey Steve, the main difference between Inland and Shred Stixx is the Shred Stixx boards are more like surfboards. On average the boards tend to be 2lbs lighter. All Inland Boards are made overseas. Shred Stixx offers production boards made overseas and custom boards made in the USA. If you are worried about being able to change up fin set ups to figure out what you like, get a sixer-style board. Lot's of options. Both Inland and Shred Stixx have been around a long time, this is what we do.

If you have any specific questions about boards just PM me, or check them out at www.shredstixxusa.com
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-11-2014, 2:10 PM Reply   
Thank you Nick and Shred Stixx for my new Bamboo Carbon Sixer. I went Shred Stixx due reputation, performance, 60 miles from my house for any questions or needs, and I've had great customer service in the past.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-12-2014, 9:03 AM Reply   
I'm a skimmer as well. The only board surf style board I've ridden that I have actually liked was the JW Flyboy. People seem to say that it's too loose but, as a skimmer, I like that.
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-13-2014, 7:28 PM Reply   
Plan a little vacation to Atlanta for the Southern Surfest and in 2 days you can demo almost every board that has been mentioned.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-14-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
Drew - That may not be a bad idea. I look at all these boards and they all seem to be very different but I like them all. I would love to go ride on 3 or 4 of them and then just say "I'll take that one!". We have some friends in Atlanta, we may just need to go visit them! Truth is, my guess is I would be very happy with any of the boards I'm looking at. I think I'm just so excited to get out there and ride and try something different.
Old     (wolfe_drew)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
Only one problem with your plan - you may end up saying, "I want that one. And, that one. And, that one, too!"