Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old    mendo247            10-02-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
Best wishes dallas, hang in there.. our thoughts and prayers are with you..
Old    walt            10-02-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
scary stuff. I'm glad to hear she is doing better.
Old    petey20            10-02-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
Hello all,

My name is Marcus Peters. I am friends with FLUX. I just got out of the hospital on Sept 29th from a severly broken femur I got trying a TANTRUM. I completed the flip, but when I landed my left foot popped out of the boot and the right one stayed in. The torque of the board popped my femur outward, but did not break the skin. We were at Lake Nacimiednto, CA on 17 Sept with my brothers & FLUX's loaded 2002 Nautique 210 TE...HUGE WAKE! I was airlifted to the nearest hospital where I had surgery and a 36cm x 10mm rod inserted...I guess casts are a thing of the past.

Anyway, I developed complications as well. Pooling blood in my thigh...called compartment syndrome. I had to have surgery to drain the blood, pus, fat etc. I have a nice 8in scar as well as 4 others to give my leg some nice character. No speedoes for me anymore. I also had to have a filter inserted up through my groin to prevent blood clots from entering my heart.

It has been a very painful few weeks with a lot of sleepless nights, but I do plan on rehabbing and getting back up on that horse next summer. Drugs are my best friend right now...and I've had 'em all...Vicatin, Morophine, Percaset, Fentenayl, Valume, Ambien etc. I've had some really hard nights and the mental aspect of the recovery is just as hard as the physical.

I continue to stay in good spirits and I hope Dallas does the same. I just want to wish her the best of luck and a speedy recovery!

Here are a few nice pics of my accident...
Upload
Upload

Here's some weekend photos and the hellicopter rescue operation from my accident.

http://picasaweb.google.com/marcus.j.peters/LakeNaci1517Sept2006

http://picasaweb.google.com/marcus.j.peters/BrokenFemur1729Sep?authkey=l7ryPdYpognZx6IZDa9YciS zlgQ

Dallas, Take care & if you need a rehab buddy, shoot me an email.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-02-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
Joe thanks for the updates, please keep them coming. Dallas keep the faith and be strong, our prayers are with you tonight.
Old    w8boardrebel            10-02-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
wow if i'd known all these bitching would had ensued from me posting that newspaper article, i wld never had done so. my main intention was just to let the wakeboarding community on the other side of the world get a clearer picture of dallas's condition.

Dallas's run was scored all the way till the time of her fall which was almost at the end of her second pass. Don't paint Emily as the bad guy in this picture. It was unfortunate enough that an incident like this had to happen to one of the top female riders already; we don't have to start bitching and speculating on who was right and what not. Prize money aside, I see it as Emily filing an appeal for a REVIEW on her scores, to see if it was truly an accurate representation on her run and fighting for what she thinks she deserves. I also spoke to Emily after the incident and she was genuinely worried about Dallas as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not playing sides at all. Both girls are amazing riders and they gave KICK-ASSED runs in the true spirit of wakeboarding for the 10,000 strong crowd which gathered to watch the competition. The most important thing is that Dallas is alright and on the road to recovery. Don't worry, Singapore has an international pool of top-notch doctors providing the most advanced medical care possible.

The judging system will always be flawed no matter how perfect we want it to be. Its very difficult to say what the "right" protocols and procedures are when it comes to extenuating circumstances. There's a very fine line to tread between professionalism and compassion.

'Nuff said, my heartfelt wishes to Dallas on a speedy recovery.

-Crystal

-------------------------------------------------
HARRIS ADMITS TO POINTS COCK-UP
HSBC Wakeboard World Cup Singapore 2006

She broke her left leg after a dramatic fall attempting the Whirly Bird, but it didn't seem to matter as she was named the pro women's division winner at the HSBC Wakeboard World Cup Singapore 2006.

But Emily Copeland, the runner-up to the stricken Dallas Friday, lodged a protest and after 90 minutes of deliberating, the judges raised Copeland's score for her to walk away with the US$10,000 ($15, 700) winners' cheque.

The three judges — chief judge Australian Neil Harris, and Britons Colin Hart and Graham Creedy — had initially awarded Friday the top score of 54.23, just 0.25 more than fellow American and defending champion Copeland.

This was despite Friday's fall. A bemused Copeland challenged the decision and it proved successful in the end as her score subsequently rose to 54.76, which gave her the title. Friday, who turns 20 on Friday, was admitted to Changi General Hospital, where she is believed to have undergone surgery to repair a multiple fracture to the left femur.

When contacted, Harris explained that Copeland's score was revised as the judges realised they had made an error. He said: "While protests are not uncommon, it is very rare that the judges' decisions are reversed.

"But we are obliged to review the decision in accordance with the rules of the International Water Ski Federation and on reflection, we realised that the judgment was not quite right. Dallas basically did 10 tricks and fell on her final trick while Emily did 11, but one of which was not very good, so their scores were pretty tight."

While Creedy had already left for the airport, only Harris and Hart were left to make a decision. "After reviewing our extensive notes, both Colin and myself decided to make minor adjustments to the judging criteria," said Harris. "And the final outcome had Emily slightly ahead."

--- TODAY newspapers, Tuesday 3rd October 2006
http://www.todayonline.com/articles/146341.asp
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-02-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
Hey Joe (dakid),
Thanks for the updates. I've gotten some from email from Mark, but hadn't gotten the most recent update and was really worried to hear the news. Thanks for that. Also thanks to all the Wakeworld family for sending Dallas positive energy and keeping her in your prayers. I've been priviledged to know Dallas since she started riding on the cable at OWC "way back", and have loved to watch her grow and become the amazing rider she is today!! But also, its been a joy to see someone with such amazing ability remain humble and down to earth. She has been such a big part of our "Performance Family" and I am truly blessed to have gotten to witness and be a part of her growth. Dallas, know that we are thinking about you and hope to see you back home soon. All our prayers and best wishes go out to the entire Friday family!

Bill and you "extended family" @ Performance.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
Oh my gosh....I am praying for her and family. I broke my tibia and fibula jumping horses and had a rod inserted so I know what she is going through. Sounds like she is improving though. And she is young...that is on her side for recovering. Hang in there Dallas.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-03-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Joe or anyone else, do you have any updates?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-03-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
Crystal, no need to get all worked up. That part of the conversation was over (unless you reignited it).

Thanks for the posts.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-03-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Darla Friday, Dallas's mom, has asked that I be non specific in regards to her recovery. The hospital will be releasing a statement today with more details. I can say that her father and brother are by her side. She is improving and is aware that her family is there. Dallas has received hundreds of flowers and cards from around the world and the hospital doesn't know what to do with them all. She has touched so many people and been a role model for so many. She is a fighter and will be back on the water in no time!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
Steven Hahn wrote : Dallas has received hundreds of flowers and cards from around the world and the hospital doesn't know what to do with them all.

That puts a smile on my face to read. It is a credit to Dallas and her ability to connect to people. Get well soon Dallas.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-03-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
well said Hahn and EJ!!!!
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-03-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
I know very little about Dallas Friday, so please take this as a somewhat naive person asking a question. Is this the first major injury that she has had (major, being defined as requiring surgery)? I would think the first major injury would tend to be the most frightening for someone. I know of a few non-pro, but competitive riders in her age range that had a major injury and pretty much backed out of competitive wakeboarding. I would hope, if this is her first, that she has a solid support group to help her ease back into the sport. From the postings on this board, it sounds like she does have that solid support group.

(Message edited by WakeShoe on October 03, 2006)
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Get well soon Dallas

We'll keep you in our prayers
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-03-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Here's an update from Alliance

Dallas Seriously Hurt
By: Mac
10/2/2006 So the facts are not totally straight but here is what we know - Dallas broke her femur casing the wake while riding in the Wakeboard World Cup contest in Singapore this weekend. She had surgery on her broken leg (word is, it was broken in more than one place). After surgery she was having trouble breathing and they found water in her lungs, suspected to be lake water. She is currently in serious condition in the ICU at what is rumored to be a good hospital. Please keep Dallas in your thoughts and prayers and we will try to keep you updated as more information becomes available.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-03-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
Dallas' condition continues to improve and she is now breathing 50% on her own. Here is an update I just posted: http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=890
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-03-2006, 11:29 AM Reply   
Get well soon Dallas!!!!

We're all pulling/praying for you out here in Cali
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-03-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
Get Well Dallas!
I found a few pictures from the event.

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/happenings/story/0,4136,114755,00.html?

(Message edited by john d on October 03, 2006)
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-03-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
Dalls is everyone's thoughts & prayers & will continue to be until she is back on the water & at full speed. Dallas is a true ambasador to the sport & a role model for many...

Keep your head up girl, we are thinking of ya!!!

Here's a PIC I pulled of the Asia site....

Upload

Lzy
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-03-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
MAS:

Upload

Upload
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-03-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
^^^
Incredible picture!
I feel her pain and hope only for her well being a quick return to the sport that brings us all here. I also broke my femur 6/24/2006 at Lake San Antonio. It was a single clean break but I am now left with a post and plate. I can only imagine her situation in another country.

Get well Dallas!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-03-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Can you imagine how bad it had to of hurt getting that board off? Hope she gets well soon.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-03-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Wow, that is crazy. Shouldn't they have been laying her leg down on the stretcher and not bent up like that?! I know when I broke my leg that bending it like that would have been MAJOR pain. That is too bad and scary to know things like this happen wakeboarding...even to the pros.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-03-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
If you notice, her leg is already bent (in the water pic). They probably let her do what was most comfortable (keeping it bent) Straightening it up would have been more painfull. They probably just cut the bindings off.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-03-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
Oh Man that first picture just gave me the chills, I have seen that before first hand.

I'm surprised the paramedics aren't at least pulling and extending her leg either by hand or with the rack that's made special for broken femurs. They could't get that thing onto my son's leg fast enough.

That 3rd pic . . if you were there you'd have seen the left 1/2 of the board bobbing gently in the water while the other half stays rigid. (shiver) That vision is etched into my head as well.

As terrible and unfortunate as this is, the press it's getting here and elsewhere may save someone else's life. Being aware of how dangerous this break is and how to deal with it (start by calling 911) until the medics come is something that everyone who wakeboards needs to know.

Believe me I did about everything wrong possible when it happened to Chris.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-03-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Dallas.
Get Well Soon, we are blessed to have you in our sport and we want you back ASAP!!!!!
God Bless
Old    00wakesetter            10-03-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
I know when i did mine and after they got my legs straight (they had to hold my feet together because my leg would fall over like a sack of tators) if someone would have bent my leg like that i would have passed clean out from the pain.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
i don't think it's bent cause she wants it that way for less pain. at that point, i think the muscles just take over and do what it wants to. if it wants to bend like that, that's what it'll do.

check out this discussion i started (with respects to dallas, it should be discussed elsewhere, not in this thread).

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/375800.html?1159908463

(Message edited by dakid on October 03, 2006)
Old    00wakesetter            10-03-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Rich, i could of only wished they put my leg in traction right away. My buddies are the ones that finally taped my feet together to keep my leg from falling over. The EMS did nothing but keep shooting me up with morphin
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-03-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Rich - What did you guys do for Chris and how did he break it? I think a lot of us would like to know how better to handle this situation.

I snapped my tibia and fibula bad playing soccer a number of years ago. Everyone was so panicked that they threw me in the back of a Lincoln towncar while some lady held my leg in place on the way to the hospital. She was exhausted trying to hold my leg up in the air and almost dropped it several times. Not waiting on an ambulance was a very stupid thing.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-03-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Damn, that pic brings back memories. I can tell you what she feels in that pic and that is bone on bone clanking around in the leg. I'm sure they unbolted the boots from the board and cut that f'er off her foot. I had to direct my crew on what to do since they were in awe....I also had them use the board to stabilize my leg when I lifted myself up onto the back of the boat.

It's a long road to recovery, but she's a tough kid - I'm confident she'll get through this and ride again!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-03-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
"They probably let her do what was most comfortable (keeping it bent)"

The paramedics told me you want to extend it and even stretch the affected leg if possible and as soon as possible. If the broken bone cuts the femoral artery the victim can bleed to death internally in a matter of minutes. Stretching the leg evidently helps to prevent this. However it's tough when it's your own kid or a friend due to the pain it put's them in.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-03-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Ya, without the bone there to hold it, the muscles in the thigh will contract. The concept of a traction splint (the device that pulls the thigh in a femur fracture) is to counteract the contractions of the thigh muscles. Imagine how badly a cramp in your calf muscle hurts; that is what the thigh muscles do. Again, my thoughts are with Dallas. She's the only female wakeboarder whose name I readily associate with the sport ... STAY STRONG!!!
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-03-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
The quad muscles constrict so IMO you're probably fighting a losing battle and doing more harm than good by trying to stretch or pull the leg in that situation. I would think keeping it stable is more important and practical.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-03-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
Sorry to be redundant, I didn't see your post Kylie - agreed...stay strong, Dallas.
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-03-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
Those pics are chilling... Just hope you get well soon Dallas.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-03-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Chris broke his left femur landing wrong off a tootsie roll. He's regular foot so that landing I think is pretty much the same as a whirly position wise but I could be wrong. He just remembers being cold (first day without his drysuit) and trying to save it when he knew it was bad. This was a trick he had pretty well dialed and had been throwing for a few years.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-03-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
Sounds like she's improving but here are a few thing I want to add:

- "white out" condition is called ARDS ( acute respiratory distress) probably a combination of respiratory depression caused by anesthesia ( very common), aspiration of water and probable fat emboli from the femur fracture. This also puts her at risk for developing a pulmonary embolism.
Treatment at this time is supportive care.
- As to straightening out an injured limb, highly suggested not to do it unless you are a 1st responder/paramedic/emt/md with appropriate equipment on hand. I may be a licensed professional but me personally I'm not going to take that responsibility with a gross deformity. You never know what and how something was displaced. It should only be done under a controlled environment.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-03-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
My thoughts and prayers go out to Dallas for a speedy recovery. The pics make me feel sick, especially the first I could not imagine the pain that she was in. Once again get well soon.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-03-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
Here is how mine looked after I did it!

ouch

Get well soon Dallas!!!

jjakober
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-03-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
My family is praying. My girls say to get well and that you are nice.
Old     (mujibur)      Join Date: May 2002       10-03-2006, 10:40 PM Reply   
Dallas - our prayers are with you. Get well soon and take care.
Old     (wakedave)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-04-2006, 12:03 AM Reply   
Here's a break down of the top 3 women's finals run:

Dallas Friday
1st Pass:
HS Raley
Scarecrow
Tantrum
Boardslide
Frontroll
Backroll
2nd Pass:
Wrapped KGB
Batwing
HS Off-Axis 360
TS Off-Axis 540
Whirlybird (fall)

Emily Copeland:
1st Pass:
Indy Tantrum
Scarecrow
HS Backroll
Boardslide
TS Off-Axis 540
HS 360
2nd pass:
Wrapped KGB
TS Indy Backroll
HS Backroll to Blind
Tootsie Roll
Tail Grab

Meagan Major:
1st Pass:
HS Backroll
TS Indy Backroll
Tantrum
TS Roll to Revert
Switch Scarecrow
2nd Pass:
Scarecrow
HS 360 (Fall)
Boardslide
Frontroll
Tantrum to Blind

You can also see the video and trick breakdown of the Top 3 Mens run at:

http://www.wakeboard.com.sg/index.php?showtopic=357
Old     (kickasskel)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-04-2006, 12:26 AM Reply   
Get well soon Dallas. My prayers are with you.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-04-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
Dallas - good luck in recovery and we'll all be thinking about you.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-04-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Dallas is now breathing 60% on her own and they may be able to take the tube out of her left lung if the x-rays look good tomorrow. If things continue to go well in the next couple of days, they may try taking her out of her sedated state to see if she can breathe on her own. She's still in critical condition, but improving!

Dallas' mom sends "thanks to all of you for your faithful support of Dallas."
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-04-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
Thanks for the update Dave!
Old    sloowmo            10-04-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
Have found Dallas fridays accident on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhk1pnik3CU

Hope she fully recovers and we see her back on the water soon.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-04-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Yikes. That looked like one hard impact. I wish her the best.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-04-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
I second that. Thanks for the update, dave. It's nice to hear that things are improving.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       10-04-2006, 1:05 PM Reply   
This makes me long for the days of the unweighted I/O going around 19mph on a 55 ft line. The force with which she came down looked incredible...

Get well soon Dallas, we are all praying for ya!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-04-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
That video reaffirms my suspicions that the injury occured on the take off not landing.

At least she's improving everyday but still has a ways to go.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-04-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
Slow: For some reason that dosent look like the pic's above of Dallas's broken femur fall. In the Video I think you can see the board has come off at then end of her crash. In the photos it still show's it stuck on.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-04-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
I agree with you Phantom, it looks like it went bad from the take off.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       10-04-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
I've never heard of anyone injuring themselves on take-off, let alone shattering a femur. the take off did look a little, I don't know the word I'm searching for.. "off" i guess, but how do you shatter a femur leaping off the wake? Especially someone like her who rides hard as hell every day of her life?
Old    00wakesetter            10-04-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
At least she's improving everyday but still has a ways to go.

whats that mean?
Old    sequitur            10-04-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
i was there and i actually thought it was the impact from the landing that caused it. but yeah now after watching the video it's true that it's the take-off.

if you all realise the tantrum take-off was perfectly fine - but the rotational torque from the take-off plus the kink into the whirly sort of forced the thigh out of position.

things happen.. sometimes it's just really pure bad luck... hope dallas gets out of this whole issue fine..
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
I just watched it three times and after pausing it when she was in the air, it looks as if it is already broken and twisted when she is half way across the wake. I think thats why she flattens out and does a butt check. Ouch!!! I am glad to hear that her condition keeps getting better.
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-04-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
Thanks David!!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
not to disrespect any of you, and not to take anything from the purpose of this thread, but it sounds like people that are saying she broke it on take-off have never seen a whirly. to the "trained eye" the take-off looks normal. but up top, it looks like she has problems pulling the handle much for the 360. i think had she broke it at take-off, i doubt she would've even tried the 360 rotation.

of course, i could be wrong.

either way, i'm glad to hear dallas' health is improving. and yeah, she has a long way to go (getting her lungs back to 100%, letting her leg heal, then rehab). but, she's a strong girl and a fighter. she'll be back!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-04-2006, 5:54 PM Reply   
Yeah I watched that last video a few times and it's just an under rotated whirly. She defiantly did it on the landing. Thanks for the videos guys.

Dallas we are all still wishing you the best. Get home soon!
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-04-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
That makes more sense joe. It looks like she was coming up short and landed pretty hard on one of her legs. That would be enough to snap it. I also had the video paused in a spot after she is inverted where her left leg looks deformed in the air which makes me think that she could have done it on the take off from twisting wrong. I guess we will have to wait. I just feel bad for her having to deal with all the rehab after this. Downtime is always such a bummer.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-04-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
So without really knowing one way or the other, is this something she'll be able to come back from 100%?! Of course I understand that if the answer is 'yes' it'll take a long time with lots of rehab. This is really sad to hear! I hope all the best for you Dallas!
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-04-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
I hope her the best.

On a different but related note, a while back Dallas made some comments in a magazine that a number of people negatively mouthed off about on here. When the O'Briens were still in charge of Hyperlite almost no one had a nice thing to say about them and their "evil empire." Since Dallas broke her femur everyone has been praying and rooting for her recovery. When the O'Briens left/were forced out of Hyperlite most people felt bad and pulled for them to do something new.

My point is that tragedy, in its various forms can hit anyone at any time. Maybe the person in the industry (who you probably don't even know) you're bad mouthing in a wakeboard forum today will have a tragedy happen tomorrow. This sport is so great and has so much to offer that we will never have enough time to discuss all the positive things about it. Let's lay off the negative.

Get well soon Dallas!
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-04-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
Take this for wut it is worth, but I am not sure if this is any factual information... I saw it on pro wakeboarders myspace... and now I can't find it anywhere.... it said that Dallas is in a coma... does that mean like the medicine caused a type of coma or is she really in like a coma that they can't get her out of??.
Old    sloowmo            10-04-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
Bling - I promise you its the trick she broke her leg on. last trick, second pass, half way up the course. I was at the event and the board did indeed stay on after impact.

As for ECD comments. I have to stand up for her a bit. Given what had happened Would anyone else feel settled riding seconds after seeing a fall like that. It shocks you just reading about it.

I think it took a lot of guts to put in a good ride. If after that she felt there was something to raise with the judges, it is her right as a pro sports woman to do so and in no way reflects her feeling on the accident.

My main thoughts stay with Dallas, as it did with everyone there that day and all with an interest in wakeboarding in general. The get well wishes for an amazing talent, are the most important theme of all the posts.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-04-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
dallas is NOT in a coma! she's in a sedated state, meaning they're keeping her asleep so that she doesn't try to pull her tubes out, which she's tried to do already subconsciously. all her neurological functions are normal.

(Message edited by dakid on October 04, 2006)
Old    dolemite123            10-04-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
Thanks for the vid.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-04-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
The vid has me wondering big time. I can't see the take off causing it, but the landing would make me think it would of been the right leg, not the left? I wish her and her family the best and a quick recovery for her!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-04-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Well let me rephrase my comment: It appears to have occurred just after the take off and not on the landing.
Just like what mike hillard observed:
I also had the video paused in a spot after she is inverted where her left leg looks deformed in the air which makes me think that she could have done it on the take off from twisting wrong.
Was exactly what I was replaying. Speculating the reasoning why she didn't pull the handle in because of pain.
She's had some nasty crash landing in the past, but I've never seen her not pull a board back under her feet.

From the report Mrs.Friday gave, sounds like a chest tube was place into the left lung for drainage.

(Message edited by phantom5815 on October 04, 2006)
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2006, 8:00 PM Reply   
It will be interesting to see if Dallas is able to recall exactly what happened, or further if she will care to comment about it publicly. She's a very tough kid and I have all the faith in the world for her. My prayers and positivity going out to ya, kiddo!! We'll roll out the red carpet on my rehab unit if you wanna come out to NorCal!
Old    awsnow            10-04-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
You guys, don't you think it is time for us all to just stop. Does it matter when Dallas broke her femur or that we know all the details of her hospital stay? I know we are all very interested in her well-being and progress. I think it is time for the theories and diagnoses to stop. If there is something worth posting, then by all means post it. Take this thread back to what it should be, updates and well wishes.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-04-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
Thank you Amanda.
Old    mbripper            10-04-2006, 9:44 PM Reply   
People with cancer more commonly die from pneumonia, than from the cancer itself....water in the lungs can be incredibly dangerous, as it can easily lead to pneumonia. However, I was at the site, and the Bedok Reservoir at which the event was held, is a freshwater drinking reservoir....and was the cleanest International Site I have ever seen.

Femurs don't usually end up in pieces unless its a rotational (spiral) fracture. I saw it first hand and was sure she did it on landing. I spiral fractured mine 13 yrs ago, and it is stronger now than before.....as long as she pulls thru the lung complications, she will be back on top by next season.....especially with all of you behind her.

(Message edited by mbripper on October 04, 2006)

(Message edited by mbripper on October 04, 2006)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-04-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
"I think it is time for the theories and diagnoses to stop."

Amen...enough "knowledge flexing," and speculation on her medical condition that no one here knows anything about.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
"knowledge flexing"
C'mon J, what would WakeWorld be without THAT!?!

Double Amen, brotha...
Old     (wakeangel22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-05-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to say a few things about Dallas accident. First the footage from the video appeared to be from the previous round (semis) where she fell on a whirly also. The actual crash was much lower. I talked to her brother the next day and he told me that when they looked at her board (after the crash) she had lost a fin. This makes sense b/c she had did a little cut back while setting up for the whirly. She very obviously slipped off the wake on the takeoff and she definitely broke it on the landing. At first we thought she had kneed herself in the chin. I send my best wishes to Dallas and her Family. She is a strong chick and will come through this alright. Before they put her under she was in good spirits and kept saying that she was glad this didn't happen while we were in China.
Maeghan Major

P.S - Sorry for the new Account. I can't remember the old one.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Maeghan!!! Dallas and family, we're all praying for you....Get well soon.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-05-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Best wishes Dallas and her family.

Does it really matter how it happened? It did; wish for a speedy recovery and return to the sport. Wakeboarding doesn't want to lose someone like Dallas.
Thanks for your input Maeghan
Thanks Joe & David on the updates
G
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-05-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
Get well soon, Dallas. Myself and the rest of the Wakeworlders are pulling for ya.