Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-02-2016, 3:46 AM Reply   
So I hit something coming back from dinner last night and damaged my prop. It's folded about 1/4 " of one blade over. The boat is still drivable but starts vibrateing pretty good once over/around 30mph.

Since I just got the boat I don't have a spare prop. My question is , can any further damage be done buy using it through the rest of the weekend? Prob won't use it much at all except to go watch fireworks and possibly drag the kids on the tube(3-5 yr olds so really slow)
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-02-2016, 4:09 AM Reply   
Do not run the boat above idle speed with a damaged prop. Vibration can damage any number of things from cutlass bearings, strut, driveshaft, vdrive, trans, gel, glass, etc... Get this one repaired and order another (great time to try another wheel) so you'll have a spare.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-02-2016, 4:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for the quick response !

Hopefully I can get a
A new one this am? Surely my dealer has one in stock Right?

Plan to head that way and be there when the door opens

Happy 4th!
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       07-02-2016, 12:29 PM Reply   
The prop you have on it should be able to be repaired, I had the same problem as you just a few weeks ago, like cadunkie said DONT drive it anything about idle speed, it's like itching an open wound... Just makes things worse , I'm sure your dealer will have one, but if not check with any other boat around you if you have friends or family with a prop you could borrow, the prop doesn't have to be exactly the same if your just gunna tube with your kids, it just needs to be the same shaft size.... Good luck and hope you are able to get your girl back on the water! Have a Happy 4th
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-02-2016, 3:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info.

My dealer had a prop that I picked up this afternoon only to realize I need a prop tool to change it.

No one has one for sale.

Anyone have any quick tips on how to change the prop without the tool?

I plan to yank the boat out in the am!

Thanks
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       07-02-2016, 3:51 PM Reply   
What I did was i went to the nearest auto zone, o Reilly's, etc. and got a two jaw puller and just paid the 50 bucks or what ever, used it, and took it right back for a full refund.... Worked just fine
Old     (KJonesWakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2016       07-02-2016, 3:54 PM Reply   
Just like this one
Attached Images

Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-02-2016, 4:18 PM Reply   
Heat the hub up with a propane torch and pop the fwd boss of the prop hub with a hammer.. tap it as you turn it..
Your wasting your ching ching on a puller like that..
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-03-2016, 2:41 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info gents!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-03-2016, 7:26 AM Reply   
I loosen the nut until it is barely still on and squirt light oil behind the prop and all over the shaft. Go grab a beer and 9 out of 10 time it will pop itself loose. If not. Just a few light taps to the base and it will pop off.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-06-2016, 9:14 AM Reply   
hopefully you got a lower pitch prop. not sure you weight setup, but we all move to lower pitch props eventually. have yours reheated and reshaped and keep it *along with the tools* to change it.