Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Paul94551)      Join Date: Nov 2012       07-01-2016, 11:08 AM Reply   
Planning a week long stay at Lake Trinity in Northern California (7/18 to 7/25).
Would welcome any tips or tricks about ramps, gas, good spots etc. Thanks in advance
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-02-2016, 8:38 AM Reply   
Plan extra time (~an hour) for construction and traffic delays on 299. Otherwise can't help much with info on lake Lake Trinity, except it's very nice up there.
Cheers,
DC
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-02-2016, 9:06 AM Reply   
What is the current water level at Trinity. We made a trip to the lake a few years back and we loved it up there. The lake was pretty full. I can't remember the name of the camp ground we stayed at but it had a launch ramp and it did the job.
I would try boat in camping next time.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-04-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
Every report I've heard has indicated that the lake level is so low that there is only one boat launch on the whole lake and that was "at your risk" We have been going for over 10 years and haven't been there in 3 due to water levels.
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-05-2016, 8:10 AM Reply   
Just returned from our annual 2 week trip up to Trinity lake.
Ramps: Both Minersville and Cedar Stock ramps are open. Minersville is an easier launch-"at your own risk" didn't see anything about that, but the lake is up quite a bit higher than the last 2-3 years (though still pretty low-down about 90') and I've never-ever had any issue launching. Not much in the way of unmarked obstacles to worry about at the current level. EDIT: The "super low water level" actually scares a lot of the idiots away-not directed at Wakejunky...-I love when the lake is full and all, but the last couple of years have been amazing crowd-wise.
Gas: Cedar Stock or Trinity Alps Marinas are the only open gas docks. Think they're charging just shy of $6/gal. Not sure-we fill gas jugs in town (Weaverville).
Except on the windiest of days where the wind seems to blow every direction funneling down every cove, you can usually find good water in the mornings/evenings. During the week, you can get lucky mid-day too. Weekends when all the locals come up with their tubes and power-turns, it's a bust unless you get out early or wait until evening.
Do you mountain bike? If so, I can key you in on some good trails.
Food spots: Trinity Center - Yellow Jacket Eatery (awesome burgers and the like). Miki-Kat (at the KOA just north of Trinity Center-burgers again).
Coffee Creek - Trailhead Pizza-this place is awesome and worth a visit. They have live music some nights-amazing wood-fired pizza.
Near the lake: Bears Breath Bar & Grille at the Trinity Alps resort - Sub par dinner menu, but fun atmosphere. I definitely recommend the Wednesday night spaghetti buffet.
Timbers at Cedar Stock - don't know much about this one, except they used to have a great Saturday evening BBQ complete with Karaoke on a deck overlooking the lake and dancing.

I also know of a couple good swimming holes and a cool waterfall that makes for a fun family visit. Also been on a few amazing hikes up to some stellar alpine lakes in the Trinity Alps.

As far as camping goes, I'm biased because I've been staying there for over 30 years, but IMO, best spot is Tannery Gulch.

Glad to answer any other questions you might have - I love that lake/area.

Some good local area info can be found here: northtrinitylake.com

Last edited by thescott; 07-05-2016 at 8:17 AM. Reason: Add
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-05-2016, 8:30 AM Reply   
Oh, and regarding the never ending 299 construction, it's not all that bad. Maybe we got lucky timing wise, but we didn't wait more than 10-15 minutes in either direction and at the time, it only took about 10 minutes to get through the closure following the guide car.
Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-05-2016, 2:51 PM Reply   
Taken Friday afternoon, 6/24
Attached Images

Old     (humboldtboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-06-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Scotts info is pretty spot on. Gas at Cedar Stock was $4.50 on 4th of July weekend. You'll definetly want to launch at Minersville. The Minersville ramp used to be a bit difficult for 2wd vehicles, but they did some repairs and paving this spring, so no real issues now. The water level is low, but there aren't too many hazards and most are pretty well marked. Midweek you will shouldn't have a problem finding good flat water as long as the wind doesn't pick up. Yesterday the middle of the lake was glass 1:00pm. Late afternoon try the Papoose arm right near the dam or in the Buckeye arm.

Also the Trinity Lake Wine and Jazz Fest is that Saturday. Its a fun event and the proceeds go to the Trinity Lake Revitalization Alliance, who are fighting to help keep water in the lake. http://www.trinitylakefest.com
Attached Images

Old     (thescott)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-06-2016, 8:23 AM Reply   
Great map - and agreed that both the Buckeye and Papoose can be good depending on the wind. We actually never made our way down to Popoose this year because we had such luck on the Trinity arm and it seemed no matter what time we passed by Buckeye there was always someone surfing there. The buttery pic below is actually from about midway down the Trinity arm. On days when the wind is howling east to west (west to east...?) that arm can be butter all the way down to almost Trinity Center where it starts to open up. Dependent on other boat traffic/etiquette of course. We've gotten really lucky down that arm on weekends when a lot of the day trippers are out tubing in the stuart fork area.